Owners Manual for 2012

BiKenG

My 2012 didn't have the Owner's Manual with it. I have a PDF of the manual for a 2010, but that doesn't include any of the new dash features nor the TC info. Can anyone advise from where I might be able to download an Owner's Manual for the later bike?

I also have the 2010 Service Manual and I'm guessing there must be some form of update for the 2012 bikes. Any sources for that?

There's no face-lift Service Manual in English available - I searched for 3 months last year and found nothing. Maybe H released something this year, I dunno.

I found German version(two fat books) but they want like 200€ for it...I found the Crosstourer diagram which works for me.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, BiKenG said:

My 2012 didn't have the Owner's Manual with it. I have a PDF of the manual for a 2010, but that doesn't include any of the new dash features nor the TC info. Can anyone advise from where I might be able to download an Owner's Manual for the later bike?

I also have the 2010 Service Manual and I'm guessing there must be some form of update for the 2012 bikes. Any sources for that?

I might have a soft copy of the 2012 owners manual on my work computer.  PM me your email address and I'll pass it along if I've got it once I get to work tomorrow.

• Member Contributer
On 14/05/2016 at 10:14 AM, BiKenG said:

Ken, do you have a soft copy of the Service Manual? :beer:

On 16 May 2016 at 0:13 PM, Skids said:

Ken, do you have a soft copy of the Service Manual? :beer:

Only the 2010 (from this site). Did they ever produce a new Service Manual for the 2012? I would have at least expected an update/addendum with the changes.

1 hour ago, BiKenG said:

Did they ever produce a new Service Manual for the 2012? 

I bought a hard copy service manual for my '13, and it was just a '10 manual that I had to post changes to. Honda made it very easy with "stickers" that covered over the obsolete/changed info, in some cases, whole pages.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, BiKenG said:

Only the 2010 (from this site). Did they ever produce a new Service Manual for the 2012? I would have at least expected an update/addendum with the changes.

I would, too.  The soft copy from here doesn't show the back cover, but there should be a part number.  For the 2010 US-spec manual, it should be 61MGE00.  I see from a little googling that there was an update, and the current 2010-2013 version is pn. 61MGE03 (available from Helm, Inc.), but it could just be the 2010 manual with the sticker-kit updates.

Owners manuals start with a 3, and 31MGE601 appears to be the first edition of the Owners' Manual (US version).  Honda Australia makes Owner's Manuals available for free download.  (Note that these are non-US manuals.)  Here is the 2010 version for the SC63 (but no later version online that I could find).  The latest ROW owner's manual for the VFR1200 I could find referred to online is pn. 32MGE603, but I don't know for sure that this covers the 2013-on models.  Some places show it as discontinued, but others seem to have stock.  Haven't seen a copy online, however.

My understanding is that 31 and 61 are the owner's and workshop manual part number prefixes for US models, and 32 and 62 are the respective prefixes for the ROW manuals. 

Ciao,

1 hour ago, Darrenk said:

I bought a hard copy service manual for my '13, and it was just a '10 manual that I had to post changes to. Honda made it very easy with "stickers" that covered over the obsolete/changed info, in some cases, whole pages.

If that isn't a justification for switching to digital copies, I don't know what is.

A major manufacturer like Honda should embrace the digital age. Produce ALL manuals in PDF format and make them available for download. They could even produce any required printed versions from those same files. Hopefully one day they'll see the light.

Honda has EVERYTHING in a digital form - I've seen one dealer using the database full of manuals in pdf, in a very good quality.

It's just not available for us, users. 

The "later" manual comes in TWO books - the first one only had ONE book.  

The later versions available here but only If you speak German or Japanese.

As I said - if you are only after Wiring Diagrams then use the Crosstourer version - besides some different connectors everything is the same

even the wires color codes.

VFR1200X wiring diagram.pdf

VFR1200XD wiring diagram.pdf

10 hours ago, lshark said:

i just emailed Helm Inc about a 2012 addendum

answer.....NO....no addendum available for the 2012 and on....the current manual that they sell covers 2010 thru 2013.....i guess it's $64.95 for an update

• Member Contributer

There's a law in the US State of Massachusetts, which was enacted by plebiscite in 2012, that requires "vehicle owners and independent repair facilities in Massachusetts to have access to the same vehicle diagnostic and repair information made available to the manufacturers’ Massachusetts dealers and authorized repair facilities."  It was signed into law in 2013 and in 2014 "two trade groups representing automakers -- the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the Association of Global Automakers -- announced an agreement with independent garages and retailers to make Massachusetts' law a national standard."  In order to avoid having to abide by different laws in all 50 US states, "under the deal, all auto companies would make their diagnostic codes and repair data available in a common format by the 2018 model year, as the Massachusetts law requires. In return, lobbying groups for repair shops and parts retailers would refrain from pursuing state-by-state legislation."

The Massachusetts law covers all "motor vehicle manufacturers", but I suppose that could have been watered down to mean "automobile manufacturers" in the settlement deal--but I hope not.  I believe there is also a legal reason why factory repair manuals have long been widely available to the public in the USA (unlike in the ROW), which is also why most scanned versions are of US versions of these manuals, but I have not been able to determine what that reason is.  It could have to do with the Clean Air Act?  :unsure:

Anyway, the world will certainly benefit from the new regime--by 2018!

Ciao,

5 hours ago, JZH said:

There's a law in the US State of Massachusetts, which was enacted by plebiscite in 2012, that requires "vehicle owners and independent repair facilities in Massachusetts to have access to the same vehicle diagnostic and repair information made available to the manufacturers’ Massachusetts dealers and authorized repair facilities."  It was signed into law in 2013 and in 2014 "two trade groups representing automakers -- the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the Association of Global Automakers -- announced an agreement with independent garages and retailers to make Massachusetts' law a national standard."  In order to avoid having to abide by different laws in all 50 US states, "under the deal, all auto companies would make their diagnostic codes and repair data available in a common format by the 2018 model year, as the Massachusetts law requires. In return, lobbying groups for repair shops and parts retailers would refrain from pursuing state-by-state legislation."

The Massachusetts law covers all "motor vehicle manufacturers", but I suppose that could have been watered down to mean "automobile manufacturers" in the settlement deal--but I hope not.  I believe there is also a legal reason why factory repair manuals have long been widely available to the public in the USA (unlike in the ROW), which is also why most scanned versions are of US versions of these manuals, but I have not been able to determine what that reason is.  It could have to do with the Clean Air Act?  :unsure:

Anyway, the world will certainly benefit from the new regime--by 2018!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 5/18/2016 at 6:24 AM, BiKenG said:

If that isn't a justification for switching to digital copies, I don't know what is.

A major manufacturer like Honda should embrace the digital age. Produce ALL manuals in PDF format and make them available for download. They could even produce any required printed versions from those same files. Hopefully one day they'll see the light.

Toyota makes their service manuals available online for a small fee to access the site (TIS).  Something like $7 for a few days.  You can download an entire service manual in that time though it is a pain because the pages are web based.  But, it can be done and I now have a full, massive service manual for my Tacoma. There is also a lot of other info on that Toyota site if you have access.  You can also buy yearly access subscriptions to that site which might be good for the person running an independent repair shop.

Archived