Screen removal / replacement instructions

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just installed an Ermax Aeromax windshield on my 2014 ($140 from Moto Machines). A bit pricey, but I liked that it didn't have the side gaps like the stock shield and all the other aftermarket shields I've seen. It's got a good double bubble shape and provides better wind protection than the stock shield. Available in lots of colors.7ee6c36b6551bcda882724f7926d89f7.jpg76087e683ecd56a59aab3d724d7789fe.jpg894547bd7f21638e11e6f00d72b1c456.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Those Powerbronze windscreens look good guys!  Quick question, I see "VFR" on one but don't see them on others.  Do they all come with "VFR" on them and some are harder to see than others or do some come plain (no logos) or is the "VFR" a decal?  TIA!

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Those Powerbronze windscreens look good guys!  Quick question, I see "VFR" on one but don't see them on others.  Do they all come with "VFR" on them and some are harder to see than others or do some come plain (no logos) or is the "VFR" a decal?  TIA!

The US version says "interceptor", the International Version says "VFR". Or something like that.

This thread will be useful to me when I buy an aftermarket screen.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, lazyeye said:

The Powerbronze windshield I bought comes with some plastic stripping/tubing type stuff. Whats it for?

It's for the unfinished edge on the top of the screen. I left mine off because they didn't give me any! 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, lazyeye said:

The Powerbronze windshield I bought comes with some plastic stripping/tubing type stuff. Whats it for?

Yep same here. Top edge of your screen. Looks crap and comes off anyway, so I binned it.

• Member Contributer

Not 8th gen specifically, but I've been told the rubber strip around the outside of a windscreen helps re-route rainwater that lands on the screen.  Without the strip, rain tends to blow up to the top edge then back at the rider.  Lots of bikes don't have them, of course, so not really sure effective they are.  I've never tested it so no direct opinion and as usual, YMMV.

7 hours ago, MadScientist said:

Not 8th gen specifically, but I've been told the rubber strip around the outside of a windscreen helps re-route rainwater that lands on the screen.  Without the strip, rain tends to blow up to the top edge then back at the rider.  Lots of bikes don't have them, of course, so not really sure effective they are.  I've never tested it so no direct opinion and as usual, YMMV.

Like the theory. Mind you, I'm still leaving mine off 'cos it looks crap with it on! :wink:

WP_20170502_18_11_57_Pro[1].jpg

3 hours ago, fink said:

Is it any improvement over the OE screen? If so what difference? 

A bit noisier but massive improvement in wind protection. You know how sometimes you might want to flip the visor up to dry your face off (trying not to be too gross here)? Tried that and nothing happened! Had to stretch my neck up to get the wind on my face! :blush:

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Katie said:

Like the theory. Mind you, I'm still leaving mine off 'cos it looks crap with it on! :wink:

WP_20170502_18_11_57_Pro[1].jpg

That edging looks a lot better on the darker tint version, doesn't stand out as much. Did you tack it down with silastic or something? Mine just kept lifting, in frustration just got rid of it. Great screen for a great bike.

Cheers.

Grum

7 hours ago, Grum said:

That edging looks a lot better on the darker tint version, doesn't stand out as much. Did you tack it down with silastic or something? Mine just kept lifting, in frustration just got rid of it. Great screen for a great bike.

Cheers.

Grum

Thanks and nope, the edging's not on there! I'd used it on a previous bike and spent half my time trying to get it stuck back on so didn't bother this time :)

• Member Contributer

Sorry Katie, dumb me read your post wrong thought you had the edging on!!!!:wacko: Great looking screen for your bike.

• Member Contributer

I just finished installing the Powerbronze windscreen. The 5 tabs on the inner visor were a pain. I had to use a flat screw driver to pry them, damaging them slightly in the process. Honda's fit and finish is great until you need to take apart the puzzle. :D

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2017 at 1:32 AM, 4corsa said:

I wanted to add to what the hidden tabs at the top look like to give an idea of how to pull it apart79115ec384089d2636973a292da00dc5.jpg898bfa9129b4c2a31ee14a121000eac5.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that was helpful. They don't want to come out, do they? And they look pretty fragile. I don't think changing the screen (just installed an Aeromax) is something I'll risk doing often.

There's now a bit of a gap (1-2mm) left between the two bits of black plastic the tabs join. Everything seems seated OK, so I guess they just bent a bit. is that normal?

Thanks, that was helpful. They don't want to come out, do they? And they look pretty fragile. I don't think changing the screen (just installed an Aeromax) is something I'll risk doing often.

There's now a bit of a gap (1-2mm) left between the two bits of black plastic the tabs join. Everything seems seated OK, so I guess they just bent a bit. is that normal?

Yeah, I'm hoping this was a one-time install. If I remember correctly that gap is a "reveal" detail that's part of the design. It should have a little recessed strip of plastic set back in. But if it's a gap that you can actually see through, it probably shouldn't be there. Obviously not a big deal, you may want to make sure one or two of the tabs didn't go into their slots. I guess the best way to test would be to see if the two piece can pull apart easily. If all the tabs are in their slots, you won't be able to pull them apart.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 4corsa said:

If I remember correctly that gap is a "reveal" detail that's part of the design. It should have a little recessed strip of plastic set back in. But if it's a gap that you can actually see through, it probably shouldn't be

There wasn't an inset strip when I took it apart, and the pieces were firmly up against each other (which is what made it so hard in the first place). It's weird, it does look like tabs 2 and 4 haven't engaged, but I can't pull it further apart. Oh well, as long as it doesn't cause a vibrating sound I'm not too fussed.

The bike looks a lot better with the new screen. At first I wasn't that happy about it being brown smoke rather than grey, but it actually matches the wheels!

There wasn't an inset strip when I took it apart, and the pieces were firmly up against each other (which is what made it so hard in the first place). It's weird, it does look like tabs 2 and 4 haven't engaged, but I can't pull it further apart. Oh well, as long as it doesn't cause a vibrating sound I'm not too fussed.

The bike looks a lot better with the new screen. At first I wasn't that happy about it being brown smoke rather than grey, but it actually matches the wheels!

Sounds great, post some photos. Mine was a nice improvement for wind protection without looking like a touring screen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 4corsa said:

Yeah, I'm hoping this was a one-time install. If I remember correctly that gap is a "reveal" detail that's part of the design. It should have a little recessed strip of plastic set back in. But if it's a gap that you can actually see through, it probably shouldn't be there. Obviously not a big deal, you may want to make sure one or two of the tabs didn't go into their slots. I guess the best way to test would be to see if the two piece can pull apart easily. If all the tabs are in their slots, you won't be able to pull them apart.

For all of Honda's bragging about "shut lines", the alignment of those bits under the wind screen is crap.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:37 PM, Cheffish said:

Did 250 miles today to Harpers Ferry W. Va. New screen looks great and really does seem to make a difference for me at 6'3". 

IMG_1538.JPG

Cheffish,  were you on the SOHC site Ever? Your SN looks familar.

2 hours ago, Tews19 said:

Cheffish,  were you on the SOHC site Ever? Your SN looks familar.

I was! I still lurk there sometimes but the VFR is my first modern bike and I don't want to say I like it more than the CB, but it does get all my attention nowadays 

Archived