PM emails & "new posts"

I changed my settings to receive emails when I get a pm, but I have not received any emails. I did check my spam folder.

I've also fiddled with the Activity stream settings, but I haven't yet come to find a combo that duplicates the results of our old "view new posts" button... anyone else found something that does?

It's the last visit thing that gets me, I may only have time to check for pm's on some days, then find time to read forums but only get a handful of results due to having "visited" more recently.

• Member Contributer

I'm trying these settings:

Show me                    Any tags
Content types             All
Read status                Everything
Ownership                  Everything
Following                    Everything
Time period                Any time
Sorting                       Newest first

Saving this as my default stream to see how it works out - seems similar to the "View New Content" in the old forum format.   Now if I could just figure out how to set it to "Show condensed view" as my default . . . 

edit

This seems to be working ok.  By saving the stream as my default which I titled "View new content", it creates a hot button in the upper right which I can click on to get the most recent posts. It has a very familiar look and feel to the old format.  I still can't default to the condensed view however.  

• Member Contributer

Is there a way to get your custom stream located somewhere else, or do you have to always navigate down through the Activity menu to get to it?  It would be nice if was a one of the main tabs.

• Member Contributer

If set as default a stream will appear in the upper right of your screen when you log in.  This seems to be working just as the old "View new content" did.  I don't see a way to have more than 1 pinned to the landing page though.  

13 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

It's the last visit thing that gets me, I may only have time to check for pm's on some days, then find time to read forums but only get a handful of results due to having "visited" more recently.

An option is to only narrow down the read status and set it to "unread" and at the bottom of the result page press the "load more content button"

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

If set as default a stream will appear in the upper right of your screen when you log in.  This seems to be working just as the old "View new content" did.  I don't see a way to have more than 1 pinned to the landing page though.  

Bingo.  Flailed around a bit before selecting the check next to stream title, but then it appeared.  Thanks.

• Member Contributer

This thing is kinda driving me nutz... How do we get it set up so the same thread is not listed every time for each post? Then also if I read a thread and not post in it, and not mark follow, but later I want to find it again later and read it again, how do I do that? 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, mello dude said:

This thing is kinda driving me nutz... How do we get it set up so the same thread is not listed every time for each post? Then also if I read a thread and not post in it, and not mark follow, but later I want to find it again later and read it again, how do I do that? 

I have not heard of anyone figuring out how to list topics only.  The way I have "View new content" set up, it sorts by replies, not posts as in the old forum so I'll end up seeing the same topic listed multiple times if a number of members have replied to it.  If I mark it "read", I can filter by that criteria, but sometimes I want to re-read something and in that case I would not see it.  Maybe someone smarter than me will figure that out.

If you don't mark a thread as followed, the only way I can think of would be to use the search function to find it once again.  That's not much different than the old forum, as topics only floated to the top when someone had replied to it.  

The logic built in to this forum software is different as it seems to be member post focused rather than thread focused.  In other words, in the old forum if a post received 3 new replies, it floated to the top each time it received one, but was listed just once.  In this forum, each reply generates a line item at the top of new activity.  It seems less efficient but that appears to be the way it's built.  

This is the main reason I haven't been around much. Time is real short lately and I don't have time to figure out how to filter posts so I can catch up on a few days of topic activity. So I skip the site entirely in hopes someone will figure it out. Miss VFRD though... can't be bothered with the other site.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I have not heard of anyone figuring out how to list topics only.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what folks are after here, but V4 Rosso's original reply to SEBSPEED speaks to this. He shows a screen shot and the second drop-down filter from the left indicates Content TypesTopics. This setting will group everything into topics (much like the old VFRD) rather than as individual posts.

Exactly. I used the filters shown in the pic, saved those filter settings as a new stream named "What's New" and set the stream as my default stream. Now all I have to do when I log in is click on the top right "button" called "what's new" and I get the exact same topic list I had before the forum upgrade. I like the new filters, a lot more options to search for specific content.

By default the "read status" is set to "content I haven't read" but then if I later want to get back to a read topic it has disappeared from the list, that's why I set it to "everything"

And again, when that list is small because, like Seb, you have visited the site shortly before just to read PMs, click on the button at the bottom of the page that says "load more content". Scroll down the list and when there is a topic title that is not in bold you have reached a topic that you have read before and has no new messages posted to it since your last visit. So if you have set the stream filter "sorting" to "newest first" you know you've seen (not necessary read) all topics that come after it.

• Member Contributer

I just fiddled with this as well and it works.  I was also not liking the new 'unread' link as much as the old one, but if you mimic V4Rosso's settings you will get what you want - no repetitive links for each post (show me - ITEMS ONLY / content type TOPICS)  <--this seems to have done the trick.

Now that I have it set up, MUCH cleaner!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

The server is not sending any emails, checking into it now. Also noticed gmail, yahoo are blocking emails, so I am looking into that, probably need to edit my dns records on the domain to fix that.

also when setting up an activity stream the first choice "show me" change it from 'content items, comments, and reviews" to just 'content items" and you wont see multiple instances of the same topic 

Archived