2016 tmac group rides

Again for 2016 I will not organize Group rides, but I will try to be sure that newer riders or first time attendees will have a fun and safe group to ride with.

My biggest concern is for the Newer/Beginner riders who don't have Twisty Mtn rd experience and have not been to the area.  This is the group where having the right Lead/Sweep teams is critical to the Fun & Safety factor of our attendees and event. 

As always my number one concern for these events is that everyone makes it Home Safely and be able to tell Lies & Stories about what a Blast they had at the TexasMac this year.

IMO Ride Groups and ride group selection is the most important aspect of this event and that having the right Lead/Sweep Teams is Critical to the events success! 

If you would post up here with your ride group needs.  If you would like to volunteer as a Lead first off thank you, but most important is that you ride the PACE when leading. This is a must! 

Thanks again everyone and see you soon! 

• Member Contributer

I'll lead a group of more relaxed\intermediates. Averaging @5-10 over.

• Member Contributer

I am taking it down a notch or three this year and will volunteer to lead a pace between scenic and intermediate.  I want to find a group that is somewhat experienced but would like to have some active coaching on their riding skills. I am leveraging some new plastics and a comped hotel room for MiniCarver to get him to sweep but have not confirmed a sweep rider yet. 

I recently completed the Total Control Instructors course and had hoped to set up a class before this years meet but could not find the proper parking lot and class combo for the instruction to be certified. We will go over some of the basics in the parking lot and talk during fuel breaks and lunch and comfort stops about how these new (or renewed) techniques fit and are being received.

I plan on getting this set up properly for next year but this year will just be a practice of sorts. This year I will not leave with a group larger than 5 plus my sweep and I so if you want to be a part of this shoot me a PM and lets set the schedule.

We have Sena S20s and some Cardo systems so if you have compatible comms this is a plus for our planned group.  If you don't I may have a couple of G9 or similar as I am leaning very strongly toward bringing only the Scala Pack Talks since the com units from FUSAR are not available yet.

• Member Contributer

I'd be very interested in joining a group like that... Have no comm system though. 

Hoping to arrive on the Monday. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

Great, thanks guys!

CC maybe you can show me how to ride correctly!  Congrats!

"ya never know" but I fear we would need to take it to the parking lot as the track time would just escalate. :wink::beer:

• Member Contributer

That sounds awesome. I would love to take part in that, but since I already volunteered to lead some, maybe we can eaves drop on your parking lot session and pick up some pointers. 

• Member Contributer

I think I have 4 of the 5 for our group (arriving prior to so we can do begin Wednesday morning).

This is not going to be a by the book Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic as we do not have a range available. We will work on some of the static demos in the parking lot of the Microtel and possibly a corner of the parking lot of the Fun Factory behind the Microtel for small circle practice of getting your head around.

Then we will practice and communicate what we are doing and work through additional drills during the day with feedback on the stops as mentioned above.  I doubt we will get in more than 200 miles so I will be hyper selective about the route so we can try to have some fun as we learn.  We may even repeat a few sections in morning and afternoon to let you gauge any progress that you have made.

• Member Contributer

CC, that's a great idea. I'm dialing it down also. I volunteer to sweep if you'll have me. I'll be arriving Monday afternoon.

It's been a long time since we've ridden together; it's likely I'll never forget that one. I've been taking lessons; no repeats.

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, Baileyrock said:

I dial it down every day, just don't have to move the dial much these days!

I noticed that last year.

After we left the store on 60 I kept thinking any minute Kimball and Baily are gonna blow the cobwebs off my old plastics but you guys took forever to get there. :goofy:

Sure didn't hang around behind us long heading north on 68 though. :wink:

2 hours ago, Ultimatevfr said:

I can lead on Friday, but it will have to be a slow/beginners, I will have my son with me.

That sounds great! I take it you know the area and can lead using the PACE?

It is the Novice/Beginners group that I want the best taken care of, all my other groups are usually seasoned riders and have attended several events.

BR

• Member Contributer

First off I was happy as a clam following you CC on 60 and 68 last year; just remember who passed you first. My squidliness pales in comparison to the esteemed BR. The boy just has no patience. We were pushing the STs trying to catch you guys though.

Donna has been leading rides all this spring for all sorts of groups and no one knows the area better than her. Everyone on her rides this year has raved on the route and the pace. I was good with her pace last year when BR and I followed her all the way to Wolfpen Gap where she waved us by and the foolishness began. It was fun though and would have pleased a large group of riders. Donna did a few different leads on the fall ride last year and I believe she was a hit. I could follow her all week and be fine, Speed is overrated, riding is fun no matter what the velocity.

I have been leading mixed groups all this year and have gotten pretty good at meeting the median pace of the group and there have been no incidents within the group. Of course if 007 and BR want to do some private rides like last year then we can arrange that foolishness as well. I had great time riding with everyone last year so I'm easy.

Looks like I will be on the NC or ST since I had to drop the Suzuki off at the dealer with a blown shock seal today. Freak failure but I doubt the bike will be ready for TMAC. To bad as it is very similar to the VFR in performance. I bought my first bike in 1975 and have never had to make a warranty claim on any of the 20+ new motorcycles I have owned.

BR, you want to run ST1300s again this year?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

That sounds great! I take it you know the area and can lead using the PACE?

It is the Novice/Beginners group that I want the best taken care of, all my other groups are usually seasoned riders and have attended several events.

BR

I do know the area, my plans were to take my son down the Cherohala for his first time. How big of a group? And yes riding the Pace.

• Member Contributer

I'd volunteer for leading a slow and scenic ride if someone else keeps track of where we are. The other time I lead I got us lost. Y'all have been warned.

BR, let me know if you need me.

Max

• Member Contributer

I'd volunteer for leading a slow and scenic ride if someone else keeps track of where we are. The other time I lead I got us lost. Y'all have been warned.

BR, let me know if you need me.

Max

23 hours ago, Ultimatevfr said:

I do know the area, my plans were to take my son down the Cherohala for his first time. How big of a group? And yes riding the Pace.

Sounds good, if possible I like to limit group size to 6 or less.

• Member Contributer

Perfect, very manageable , we are leaving around six am Friday to arrive there by nine. Would that work ?

1 minute ago, Ultimatevfr said:

Perfect, very manageable , we are leaving around six am Friday to arrive there by nine. Would that work ?

Yes, for the most part. We TRY to have a riders meeting around 9 am and split up after that.

On 5/19/2016 at 7:34 PM, kebrider said:

First off I was happy as a clam

BR, you want to run ST1300s again this year?

Yep, heading over on the 2010 ST. :cool:

Archived