Crashed my 4th gen. Deciding what to get next

slowbird

• Member Contributer

Long story short, last week two 21 year old girls veered infront of me and I crashed into the side of their Kia. Driver was charged with improper lane change.

They wrote off my 4th gen :sad: I got away with a mild concussion, sprained ankle, some shoulder and back injuries but I'm here and that's what's important.

So I need another bike and what should I choose? I still want a VFR I think.

My Choices:

Get another 4th gen. All the parts I took off my wrecked bike will fit on it no problem
Get a 5th gen: What are the benefits/downsides of this? Same weight. Slightly more power. FI, funny side rads, etc etc

Not really interested in a 6th gen unless I can get the Anniversary addition. I'll miss the GDC's though.

Get a New VFR800. Better brakes, handling etc etc, but no GDC's, higher price and insurance etc etc

I'm sure everyone will be biased in some ways but any and all advice appreciated during this difficult time :)

• Member Contributer

Glad you are fit to post.

Nothing else matters....

But get a 4th gen, they are simply the best!!!

• Member Contributer

I'd use this opportunity to get something with ABS.  A well set up 6th gen can be a very capable machine.  Much cheaper than the 8th gen and essentially the same bike.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

Glad you are fit to post.

Nothing else matters....

But get a 4th gen, they are simply the best!!!

Thanks!
 I do really like the 4th gen. Mine was amazing.

1 hour ago, Rice said:

I'd use this opportunity to get something with ABS.  A well set up 6th gen can be a very capable machine.  Much cheaper than the 8th gen and essentially the same bike.

Really? I thought the 8th gen was better in many ways than the 6th Gen.

I would really like something with ABS. Even though it wouldn't have effected the outcome of my accident at all it's nice to have.

• Member Contributer

Take look at a middle-weight adventure bike; the Verses 650 or, if you want more power, the FJ09.  If you're only interested in VFR's, you can't go wrong with the RC79, but the RC36 is so classic and runs so good.  

• Member Contributer

Not really down for an adventure bike, but thanks for the reply :)

Has anyone gone from a 4th gen to a 5th gen? Any major differences? I hear the fueling on those earlier FI's aren't very smooth.

I have not owned a carbureted bike but I would say you should not find anything fatal about the 5th gen fuel delivery. I have no problem with it. Just be vigilant and synch the starter valves, adjust the throttle cable, and do attach a power commander. You should then not experience any notable jerkiness from fueling. Not even sure the fuel controller is required for smoothness on this model (?) but it provides a very nice power gain.

Coming from a carbureted bike, thoughtless startup in all temperatures is pretty nice. Connecting a Power Commander is also easier than changing jets and needle positions.

• Member Contributer

I had a  98 and and 2000. Neither had throttle issues.  In fact, I put a 98 OEM header on the 2000, got rid of the cat and put on O2 eliminators and I still ran perfectly.  I don't think you have to worry if you find a low milage RC46.

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone for the advice. All well appreciated. I'm looking at some nice 6th gens too. Some really low mileage ones appear for sale. I really wanted to stick with the Gear Driven Cams but ABS is always a nice bonus as was said earlier.

6 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

can you buy it back and build it up?

No I'm afraid not.
...and in this Province once a Motorcycle is "written off" you can't ride it on the street anymore

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

If it were me, I'd take a look at my budget and go from there. I'd look at every bike that fits my current riding style and budget. 

Archived