6th Gen Delkevic Exhaust

DDrymkiew

Hello All, I've been looking into getting an exhaust for my 2004. I was looking to decide between the full exhaust from Delkevic or slip on DS70s. My friends said that I'd also have to run a power commander to re-map the AF ratios when deleting the CAT, whereas with the slip-ons I wouldn't need to. Anyone know for sure? I'm not really interested in forking out $900 on an exhaust and PC for an extra few horsies.

• Member Contributer

An exhaust isn't really going to change power levels noticeably - IMO it's mostly for the sound and weight reduction.  For 6th gens most people I've seen (including myself)  have gone with a cat back system.  If you want to save some cash but like the V8 rumble, the stock cans can be gutted - in one method using only a Dremel tool, but their weight will still sink a small boat. 

You will see more power gains from a quality (read:  dimsport) remap of fuel and timing after getting rid of the dead weight of the stock system.... 
But if all you need is big sound and you're happy how it runs,  pick the mini-can cat back from delkevic.  they look good under the tail,  and they really rumble.

Thanks for the link! I was actually looking at the Delkevic site and the 9" SS70s or the CF DS70s. Anyone ever heard the mini 8" and the 9" ovals to compare them? I don't want a ridiculous amount of noise, i just want to really hear the sound of the engine. I don't want to make it straight-pipe exhaust because i do have my fiance on it quite a bit

• Member Contributer

Try a youtube search, I believe there are vids for most 6gen exhausts.

I lurked eBay and kijiji for a long while before I found the right deal on a used set of Carbon Fibre Leo Vince cans... look fantastic, sound even better.  Wasn't sure when I was handing over the cash if I was making the right decision, but the first time I rode with them on I knew I had.  From the sound clips I have heard, and the reviews I have read, the Delks will not disappoint!

Oh man, if I could find the CF Leo Vince cans! I'd love a pair, but the Delkevics are much more available, and you're right, from the clips I've heard they sound great. I was hoping someone had a personal comparison between the two available Delkevics.

So, my fiancé was looking to get me a birthday gift, and asked me what I might like... Paused and asked if there was anything she could get me for the bike... :-D well, new set of Delkevics, here I come! I had a convo with a few friends and the mini 8" ones look better than the oval ss70s, so I chose the minis. I'll take pictures and upload a video when it's installed!

Ended up getting the ss70s at the last second! No regrets, they look awesome, and when I tour they won't be visible anyways. I was very pleased with how nicely packaged they came (though a bit miffed that there were no instructions).

image.jpeg

With the baffles installed they're just the right amount of sound. Not too obnoxious, so I don't have to worry about waking the neighbors. I had a shit time pulling off the stock pipe because it had rusted to the exhaust opening on the cat. Had to hammer the pipe off after soaking it in rust remover with several passes and pulling the stock pipe's flanges back a little bit. I used a rubber ended pipe for the hammering so I didn't damage it. If anyone wants it let me know, I can sell it for a reasonable price. 

image.jpeg

I'll take pictures of the finished product when I redo the fasteners this Saturday at my friend's place (I didn't see the rubber inserts for the brackets till after I had everything tightened down). I have the givi bags and mounts so pulling the mounting bolts that everything on the rear attaches to was a royal pain in the ass. Took me 2.5 hours with a little bit of help to get the brackets back on properly. Way longer than it should have, but there was a lot of running back and forth to my apartment to grab tools and other things since I don't have a garage.

It started raining pretty much as soon as I finished up, so I'm gonna have to wait till Saturday before I ride it. I can't show up to work soaking wet haha.

if the 70's had straight exit endcaps,  and you could turn em to be more lo-profile to the tail section,  I'd probably already have a pair.  
I ....  just don't like that straight up and down mount and look.  

Archived