Suzuki GSX-S1000

Anyone else ride a GSX-S1000 yet? I did a demo ride at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago and really liked it, just wish it was a V-4 instead of an I4.  Weighs in at just over 450 lbs, and 140 hp. Target audience is over 40 years old (me).

The CB1000 is in the same class and I prefer Honda, but it weighs more and has less power.

Anyone have any firsthand feedback on them?

I don't.

But, my VFRSF weighs less, and has less power. And it's for sale...

If you need fuel injection & you're not in a big rush, I'd love to build you a custom naked 5th (or 6th) gen. ;)

3 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I don't.

But, my VFRSF weighs less, and has less power. And it's for sale...

If you need fuel injection & you're not in a big rush, I'd love to build you a custom naked 5th (or 6th) gen. ;)

Where do you have it posted since there are no classifieds here anymore?

I still love my 5th gen, just thinking about something new with a little more grunt and less weight. Maybe a naked 5th gen with a Torocharger on it!! 

I sold my GSXR 600 this week and the CRF450R is on the chopping block too. The Tuono V4 (would give me the V4 that I like) is an awesome bike, but the price is quite a bit higher than the Suzuki and I'm not sure the reliability is where is should be.

I don't have it listed just yet. 

I can build a nice naked 5th gen for less than the cost of that new Suzuki (or more, depending on what you want!) It will feel faster/more powerful from the weight drop alone.

Shoot me a message if you would consider giving it more than a fleeting thought.

• Member Contributer

There was a used Tuono V4 at my local dealer for $7.5k. It's gone already. Next best deal is a new RSV4 R for $12k.

Or you can stick with a tried and true honda.

Streetfighter VFR or even...ST1300!

10380858_10152201831437102_6578323309152

• Member Contributer

Anybody remember the Evo 6? It was more than a concept. Honda built a working protype of it but then pulled the plug on the whole project. The Evo 6 would have taken on the Diavel and V-Max head-to-head. What a bike that would have been!

Honda Evo 6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoy my 6th gen in it's stock condition but I really am tempted  by the Suzuki.  Most of the time I just chill and ride the vfr in a sporting but gentlemanly manner but lately I've been wanting to just ride hard and at times the whole vfr package seems to get in the way.   Most times the linked brakes are good enough but my last few rides had me wishing for "normal" seperate brakes, better suspension, chassis and just something better for hooliganism.    

My Bking is definately a hooligan machine and has me spoiled to tell the truth but the smaller gsx1000 would be fantastic fun whipping through the city and getting around tight SF Bay area traffic and have the stomp to do effortless battle on the highway.   Definately not married to the v4 platform so we shall see.    I always felt the vfr is a keeper but life is short so I may sell it to a buddy and move on...dunno we shall see what happens.    

Well, I found a used one for a price I just couldn't pass up. 2016 ABS (& traction control) model that was delivered in December 2015, so it still has 7 months of warranty left on it. 2780 miles and the previous owner put on a $600 Yosh slip-on, Suzuki heated grips, tail tidy, comfy seat, and brand new Angel GT tires.

Yesterday was the first day I really had a chance to get out and ride it. Did 325 miles no problem up Blood Mountain, Wolf Pen Gap, 60, all the way up to Tellico Plains and back to Athens. Torque coming out of slow corners is impressive along with the rate at which cars can be passed without even downshifting.

It was a very fun day and the bike is great for that kind of riding. I don't think I will be getting rid of the VFR any time soon though. For me, the VFR is still a better distance bike, which I normally do a couple of trips a year with.......at least until they come up with some good luggage for the GSX-S, but I don't see that happening.

image-18-05-16-01-13.jpeg

That is a spectacularly beautiful black and red machine. Love it!

The truth is these are great bikes and the CB1000R, according to every review, just does not do anything great. So the component quality is not up to Honda, oh well, I doubt as you're screaming around the corners you're thinking, "Hrm, self? That seam between those two fairings just isn't as tight as the Honda". LOL. Honda seems to hold back in many categories, CBR aside, like they're afraid of us going too fast.

Legend's B-King is the ultimate naked machine. ULTIMATE! How about a pic of that? :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

The B-King was a real missile. And so was the K1300R.

I'm hoping the MT-10 makes it to the States next year and is offered in both a standard and fully-faired version (kind of like what Kawasaki did with the Z1000 / Ninja 1000 and what Suzuki did with the GSX-S1000 / GSX-S1000F).

K1300R.jpg

Yamaha MT10.jpg

Ask and you shall receive.    Not the best of photos but this was from a three day tour zig zagging through central california with my buddy on a rented Triumph.   Hepco Becker actually still makes the rack for the Bking to fit a topcase, the screen is from National Cycle, made specifically for the Bking.    Makes a surprisingly good hypertourer.    

HB makes tour accessories for the new gsxs1000, their Cbow system uses soft bags that are not super big but for a longweekend fun run, plenty of room.    Just check the Euro sites for all the real goodies.

IMG_20151011_082109_104.jpg

IMG_20151011_082121_535.jpg

IMG_20151011_111402_261.jpg

IMG_20151011_111453_961.jpg

• Member Contributer

Legend, looks like your in Herold, was just there in April, did some work at the Cosumnes power station, right in front of those cooling towers. Great riding country. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Legend, looks like your in Herold, was just there in April, did some work at the Cosumnes power station, right in front of those cooling towers. Great riding country. 

Yes Mikey you are correct.    We lived in Rancho Cordova for 8 years so all that great riding country was in our backyard.   Absolutely loved the relatively empty roads into the foothills, sierras, delta........now living in the bay area  which has it's own beauty but has none of affordability and liveability of the Sacramento/Rancho/Folsom area.........I miss the ease of access to the uncluttered backroads.       

7 hours ago, LEGEND said:

Yes Mikey you are correct.    We lived in Rancho Cordova for 8 years so all that great riding country was in our backyard.   Absolutely loved the relatively empty roads into the foothills, sierras, delta........now living in the bay area  which has it's own beauty but has none of affordability and liveability of the Sacramento/Rancho/Folsom area.........I miss the ease of access to the uncluttered backroads.  

Great pics thanks. Stupid question (maybe there actually are stupid questions?) While touring do you leave it in high power mode all of the time?

Not a stupid question at all.  I do keep it in high power mode or A mode as Suzuki calls it because the fueling is excellent.   No need for B mode, maybe in the rain but really I've never felt the need for it.   When touring at a mostly legal pace I have seen nearly 50mpg in full power mode, mid 30's when warping time and space.     The 1340cc four is really a nice engine and to think Suzuki couldn't give these things away is really mind blowing to me.      

• Member Contributer

That's a nice find there Wera.  Sounds like somebody took a real hit on that bike.  Looks like a blast for day trips.  

Congrats on the Suzuki!

Before I saw the post with your new bike, I was going to say there are leftover new 2014 and 2015 Tuono V4s out there.  While they'll still go for more than the price of a new 2016 GSX-S1000, I'd think a good enough deal might be tempting to get the Aprilia instead - especially for a V4 lover.  :wink:

I thought it was coming, but still not until next year. The engine would be nice. Should be a good bike and direct competition for the Suzuki.

I still think about a CBR1000RR street fighter project...    although, there's not really any time for that lately.    I liked Roland Sand's "A good fight", but this one from 2010 was still the best, in my opinion...  the higher bars are how I'd do it: 

1293137607021_ride_for_kids_project.jpg?

• Member Contributer

Roland Sands customized an R1 a few years ago that I thought turned out very cool. Speaking of cool, imagine if Audi had built this superbike. If you think it resembles a Panigale, that's no coincidence. Audi owns Ducati.

Audi_concept.jpg

RSD.jpg

Archived