Anybody do track days?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a California Superbike School at Laguna Seca, circa '89ish.

Rode my 85 Yamaha Maxim 700 to the track. I had never ridden a sport bike or anything like a Ninja 600 they had.

Weather cut into the riding time. It did not help I had no sport bike experience.

It was still awesome, it was Laguna Seca!

Did a handful of track days on the VFR, a CBR954, my 03 Tuono.

Willow Springs big track, love it, scary fast into turn 8.

Streets of Willow, did not like the bumpy, the shortness, and the last funky turn.

Fontana motor speedway or whatever they call it. The circuit they used to use for AMA racing. Prolly still use for Nascar.

Hated that one. Flying along close to a wall, then dropping left into the infield and finding your way through the forest of cones, wtf?

Some guys liked that if they ran into a corner too hot, there's lots of asphalt to just go straight.

To me it's a frigging parking lot with cones.:wacko:

Somewhere along the line I concluded I did not feel a desire to push the envelope. I just wanna ride.

If you're not pushing the envelope you don't belong on the track. imho.

So it's been maybe 5 or 6 years since the last one.

If you wanna push the envelope, get thee to a race track. :beer:

Learning to push the envelope could save your life. You've got more track experience than me, though, so you don't need to hear that from me. I'd say it's a good idea for newer riders becoming more competent to try a few, though, remembering that it's not a race, but a place to hone your skills.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I did one this past weekend at Fontana. Took the 5 Gen. Sorry no pics but I have video from the bike POV. I would have had more video and one of my best time (1:55.882) but I forgot to turn on the front camera (GoPro Hero2). The rear camera I have turns on and off with the ignition so I don't even have to think about it, other than to download the videos before the SD card gets too full.

• Member Contributer

You make up for a lot of what the VFR lacks in acceleration under braking. Hard for most bikes to out-brake a 5th gen.

Fontana really is a crummy road course. Too flat, and abrasive.

Here's a little clip from a few years back featuring my 2 best girls at the time with Reg Pridmore at the helm:

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just found the photographer from my day at Shannonville and gots some shots.  

Sure, the track is flat with the benefit of clear sight lines and that is confidence inspiring.  The bike felt great with 32 R, 30 F.  Super stable on the straight and still fell into corners effortlessly.  Did feel the weight on back to back corners though and was surprised it held its own against everything except litre bikes on the straight.  Was able to brake later than most to make up ground but Marquez and Dovi's factory rides will remain safe from me.

Turn 1 what a blast - virtually wide open in 3rd (for me).  I found it a great layout - very, very challenging.  Was never able to put one good lap together all day, there was always somewhere/something to improve on.  Will be going back to get a better read on this track asap.

Next time I'll pull off the factory windscreen with the Laminar Lip and fit the Dubious Chinese black shorty windscreen on the VFR to blend into the crowd a bit better :goofy:.

A track day once a year is not enough!

2017-07-10_Shannonville_Turn06.thumb.jpg.b119c0b7a84a9567dab2c438bd782f37.jpg2017-07-10_Shannonville_Turn08.thumb.jpg.18ffe32afd1e2c323f5e8ccc0f77a865.jpg2017-07-10_Shannonville_Turn09.thumb.jpg.52808d0c25d94e5b91d5e39f4080b1a4.jpgOntario_Shannonville_2017-07-10.jpg.7dd40642659bfbf604caca729b8c4dd9.jpg

Marbled up the rear fairly well.  These S21s withstood the heavy bike and heavy rider and heavy handed inputs without issue.  Confidence inspiring tire!

2017-07-10_Shannonville_RearTire.jpg.9158cec4ac7376a7c5e3b2184177ebb2.jpg

2017-07-10_Shannonville_Turn14.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The "addicting" part is what makes playing pitcrew and photographer....

Better for my wallet for sure (and one cannot take out trackday insurance, so gambling with my SP is too risky for me..)

599fd51338d0e_Doducksinarow.thumb.jpg.39dae9c65c18ca590d49716254fb124a.jpg

IMG_0071.thumb.jpg.694c1128db6019c5694b4fc5666a847f.jpg

:goofy:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I have been able to do some more track time and like before, I don't have pictures of me on the track but I do have POV video that was taken from the front of my 5 gen. This video is of a session I did on Monday at Sonoma Raceway while corner working for the CSS. On this session there was a female student that got on the track just before me. This clip is of me following her for a few laps starting from my in lap. I have to say it was nice watching her ride but  even more so to see how much she improved over the course of two days.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 25-8-2017 at 9:43 AM, Dutchy said:

The "addicting" part is what makes playing pitcrew and photographer....

Better for my wallet for sure (and one cannot take out trackday insurance, so gambling with my SP is too risky for me..)

599fd51338d0e_Doducksinarow.thumb.jpg.39dae9c65c18ca590d49716254fb124a.jpg

IMG_0071.thumb.jpg.694c1128db6019c5694b4fc5666a847f.jpg

:goofy:

Famous last words eh??

Booked a trackday for  23rd April....   :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Did a 2-day at Mid-Ohio for my first track day experience. Absolute blast. Great track, great instructors, and mostly good weather. Ran into some fellow Croatians from Toronto and they let me into their garage. First day was learning the F2 and the track. Second day felt pretty good and was able to  go a bit faster every lap.

20170928000211-e6ffd44c-sm.jpg

Later did a day at Grattan with STT. Not sure I'd recommend them unless you are high intermediate or advanced. It's pretty much a free-for-all at all levels. Didn't gel with the track as easy as Mid-Ohio, but it was super hot and greasy. Spend part of the day stuck in a really slow group, then spent the rest of the day trying to learn the track with slow progress.

20171006055836-083e6ab2-sm.jpg

Bought a few track days at Mid-Ohio when they were on discount for christmas. Can't wait.

• Member Contributer

Cyber Monday 25% off sale. Paid $300 instead of the $390 for two days :cool:. Didn't have to pick which days either, can be used any day I pick. Problem is that they are only running weekdays again this year, so will only be able to do a couple days there anyways. I'll have to search around for weekend days elsewhere.

And if you were like me and didn't want to take your VFR to the track and risk throwing it down the road, there are some smoking deals for track bikes on WERA forums. Think I saw someone trying to sell a fully set up '08 CBR600 for $2200 or something ridiculously cheap. Deals to be had out there.

• Member Contributer
On 9/29/2017 at 12:28 AM, Duc2V4 said:

Well I have been able to do some more track time and like before, I don't have pictures of me on the track but I do have POV video that was taken from the front of my 5 gen. This video is of a session I did on Monday at Sonoma Raceway while corner working for the CSS. On this session there was a female student that got on the track just before me. This clip is of me following her for a few laps starting from my in lap. I have to say it was nice watching her ride but  even more so to see how much she improved over the course of two days.

Who's the girl?

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, 007 said:

Who's the girl?

Just a student that was there taking the class.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting. Never have done a track day. Its on my list. Nice to see it in motion. 

Archived