Anybody do track days?

Shortly after getting my '95, I decided to finally try the track day thing. Got some gear, a truck and trailer, and jumped on in. I'm about 60 miles from Barber Motorsports park, so I get to play on one of the most beautiful venues in the US. Here's a couple of photos from the March 20 event. It was so much fun that the next day, I ordered April 17 and June 5.

1061884_zps22x2bxkp.jpg

1061974_zpsul0upx0m.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good.

I'm about 60 miles north of Barber's. I've been planning for years to get there for a track school. Life continues to get in the way.

• Member Contributer

I'm building an '04 VFR for Track Days.  Should be done in 2-3 weeks. I've done track days at Road America and Blackhawk Farms on my F4i and GSXR.  It's so much fun.

IMG_5949sm.jpg

I'm curious why you'd bother with a VFR when you have a far better for track specific bike. I use a VFR because that's all I've got. If my circumstances were such that my time was my own, I'd be willing to get a track only bike and it would be based on an actual supersport bike. 

• Member Contributer

I've been to Thunderhill, Portland International Raceway, Oregon Raceway Park, and The Ridge Motorsports Park with the R6 and CBR600RR I had.

Trackdays are super addicting.

Unfortunately I crashed pretty hard at ORP last year and messed up my body, so I don't know when I'll go back to the track. If I do I'll probably take my girl's CBR250 and slum it in C group until I get my confidence back.

_BEA5563-XL.jpg

PSSR_Aug_3_2014_Ridge_0261-3454561325-O.jpg

I did half day in the B-Group before being bumped  into the A-Group. Have done 33 A-group track days right up until Oct. 3rd, 2009 when my only Highside ended breaking both my legs. 5-6 months with no load bearing on either and having to learn to walk again.

I got back on the VFR before I could really walk that well, but have not returned back to the track. i do miss it still. 

Started out on bikes

Ponte Vedra-20121113-00105.jpg

Built a nice 02 CBR F4i

copied pics 175.jpg

Love barber as well

copied pics 155.jpg

Built my dream track machine, 07 GSXR 750, but ended up having to sell it after two track days.

Tally 5-09 gsxr 002.jpg

Never even got it dialed in

KevinRailin.jpg

So after selling it I ended up building this VFR Vtec Track Pig w/Catless headers, PC3, F4i forks, etc.

vtec track bike 034.jpg

Bike felt great, but ended session one like this. 

NSS Vtec-crash 11-03-09 012.jpg

NSS Vtec-crash 11-03-09 032.jpg

now I just hang out with the Umbrella Girls

IMG_3558.JPG

BR

• Member Contributer
On 5/2/2016 at 5:46 PM, Baileyrock said:

So after selling it I ended up building this VFR Vtec Track Pig w/Catless headers, PC3, F4i forks, etc.

vtec track bike 034.jpg

Bike felt great, 

BR

And then I bought the track pig from you.

• Member Contributer
On 4/28/2016 at 11:56 AM, DachshundUberAlles said:

I'm curious why you'd bother with a VFR when you have a far better for track specific bike. I use a VFR because that's all I've got. If my circumstances were such that my time was my own, I'd be willing to get a track only bike and it would be based on an actual supersport bike. 

Honestly, I never liked my GSX-R.  I said for a year and a half that I'd "get used to it", but I never really felt good on it.  It has gobs of power, and sticks well in corners, but it always felt a bit disconnected from it. It always felt more like a tool than part of me. My 600F4i on the other hand, felt great on the track and very natural.  I was actually faster at road america on my bone stock F4i than on my GSXR, even though I'd hit much higher top speeds on the GSXR.

I want to see how good I can get a VFR on a track. It will be a good challenge.

• Member Contributer

Almost fell over!  But seriously, because I was never competitive on the track, a VFR would be more than fine.

Suzuki.jpg

5 hours ago, paulmeisterpk said:

And then I bought the track pig from you.

Woo Hoo, Paul I wondered how things were progressing for you???

So it's not hit the track yet?

DachshundUberAlles , I was amazed at just how well the Vtec track pig performed. My lap times on my F4i were consistently in the top 3-5 A-group slots. My best time every at Nashville Super Speedway was a 1:08 something on the F4i and my only full day on the new GSXR (2nd day on bike) at the same track was a best of a 1:09:34. i figured that NSS would be the Vtec's worst track as it had the tightest infield turns and highest speed (Tri Oval) of any track I ran.

In my very first session on the vtec track pig where I thought I was at least 5-10 sec slower a lap because this was just a shakedown session. I did a 1:09:34 which matched the best time on the GSXR in a full day! Amazing, the handling was spot on, but it had some type of fueling issue in the turns. Never got a chance to develop the bike and felt I should have easily dropped a sec off my times w/o much effort.

The only passing I was doing was out braking guys into the corners until my last lap where I tried to square of a turn and hard accelerate on a short shoot for a slide pass. When I grabbed a hand-full of throttle for the first time the rear spun up into my only highside. 

I wish I still had the Bike & Balls to continue it's development! 

It showed an indicated 179 mph on the Tri-Oval which with a 1dn/2up sprocket set-up was probably mid 140's or more.  It pulled well up there surprisingly. 

Keep me in the loop Paul, please!

• Member Contributer

BR, it is in the midst of a new paint job.  First track day for me this year is 5/25.  I will send you some picture or post some up here when It's ready.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here is the nearly finished paint job.  Still have to add some black to the rear seat cover.  Also have to add decals.  Not sure if that part will get done before my first track day of the year next Wednesday.

20160515_184808sm.jpg

I have been doing track days for a long time and still love it. Track bike is a well sorted 06 CBR 1000rr. I have thought about bringing the VFR to the track but now I think I'll just keep her on the street. I think the first time I was leaned over and not already in vtec I would have a heart attack when it engaged. lol I have rode in the twisties in NC and Tennessee with the VFR and I find that I either have to stay below vtec or just keep in screaming in higher rpms. An older gen VFR would be the ticket for me to track probably. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I will be doing my first track day tomorrow, actually cornering school. Then I think I will book Thunderhill on the 30th! There are at least 6 tracks within reasonable driving distance, so hopefully I will get some good seat time this year.

• Member Contributer

How was your cornering school?  Enjoy it?  I had a track day at Road America with the VFR yesterday and it was great. The VFR could use a bit more power on a track like that, but it was not a slouch by any means.

• Member Contributer
On 5/5/2016 at 3:31 PM, Kingmdm said:

Almost fell over!  But seriously, because I was never competitive on the track, a VFR would be more than fine.

Suzuki.jpg

Anyone ever tell you that you look like Kevin Schwantz?

• Member Contributer

I got to ride Barber once, and it is a crazy beautiful track. If you ever head south to Jennings GP let me know and I'll try to join you. I go to all the Southern Track Days events as a professional Novice-group rider.

18034323524_58449deeac_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9TujlX8GA

Here is a vid of one of my sessions at Road America on the '04 VFR. It definitely doesn't have the power down the straightaways that a liter bike does.

This was the first time at RA with this bike.

On 7/12/2016 at 2:59 PM, paulmeisterpk said:

How was your cornering school?  Enjoy it?  I had a track day at Road America with the VFR yesterday and it was great. The VFR could use a bit more power on a track like that, but it was not a slouch by any means.

Hell Paul, everything could use more power there! :goofy:

The bike looks Awesome! Nice job! :cheerleader:

Archived