Do we still have classifieds?

• Member Contributer

I have browsed every place I can think of.  Has anyone seen the classifieds in the new format?  

Miguel, when you say developer are you talking IPS? Or this is not built into the forum so you require someone to customize it?

If I may ask, what is the challenge? There is absolutely no technical reason why a section labelled "classifieds" could not be built in a piece of software that already allows texts and attachments and messaging.

If there is a commercial initiative to get classifieds added to this forum software, have IPS message me. I know people who would fix it within a week.

As a substitute would you define a forum as a classified section?

• Forum CEO

Classifieds was a third party module I added. I have been waiting for a year for an updated version for this latest software package invisionboard 4. The guy that built it is now an official invisionboard developer. He says he's bogged down working on projects for invisionboard. I had been waiting to upgrade based on a new version of the classifieds. 

Then a hard drive failed. And our host had updated the os on all of its servers. So when I installed the new os last week the database backup was too old. I just decided to just go ahead and update vfrd to the new invisionboard and convert the database. It took 12 hrs to convert it. And it'd still effed up.  Profile pictures for example areally pointing at the wrong direction. The files are there just I need to change the directory.

Classifieds are not my top priorty right now. Getting the forum completely recovered is. Then I will work on a new classifieds solution. It needs to be able to expire ads and delete them automatically after 15 days.  Classifieds are a huge pain in the ass for me in terms of complaints between members. I hate the damn things and I've always offered them free. I'll get to it soon enough. And have a home page. A links system. A donation area. Featured pictures. A new logo. It's a whole new software package for me I gotta learn how to use it too.

I see your dichotomy with the classifieds. While we find it to be the greatest repository for all things VFR, to you it is a complaint waiting to happen.

Thank you very much for all of these efforts. 

• Member Contributer

"...a donation area..."

Do you think a little bribery might be useful?  [insert missing emoticon here]

LoL, Miguel we all appreciate very much the work you do on VFRD.  Knowing the amount of time I spend doing silly "upgrades" on my family's computers, I can only imagine what it must be like to maintain and upgrade a massive undertaking like VFRD.  eek.gif

[EDIT: I just noticed my signature and avatar are back!]

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your efforts HS!

Although the classifieds have been a challenge, I think I can speak for many on this forum when I say that they were one of the best features of the site.  I lost track of how many items that I bought and sold off of the classifieds section.  It sure has made my VFRs happier...and my wallet alot less so.

• Member Contributer

Have to admitt, dragged my a$$ in contributing this year. No more! I will be the first one as soon as donation area is up.

I too really appreciate the classifieds, have found it a great resource. Willing to do anything to help M

On 4/25/2016 at 3:20 PM, HispanicSlammer said:

I'm probably going to try building it in the pages module. It should be good.

Oh thank god... I keep moving the mouse to where the Classified section link should be out of muscle memory! I need my fix of shopping!

• Member Contributer

I'm just so happy the site is back... I was damn near going through withdrawals.  Sorry for the sucky luck, thank you HS for the continued efforts to host the best VFR site out there!

• Member Contributer

I'm sure the classifieds are indeed a huge PITA for you, HS, but I very much appreciate you putting up with the hassle.  I much prefer buying and selling between VFR enthusiasts as compared to other sources.  Long live VFRD!

• 5 months later...

Since Im new to this forum the first thing I looked for was a CLASSIFIED program. I just bought a new 2014 VFR and was looking here for some items. 

I did not know there was a problem before and the forum had gone down. 

Seems like a nice place and hope the best. I suppose it's in the "growing up" stage. 

I did not realize how big an undertaking a classified section would be. Now I know. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Silas said:

I just bought a new 2014 VFR and was looking here for some items.

Congratulations on the new acquisition and welcome to VFRD. You can, if you wish, post to the the "Welcome" forum, introduce yourself and share a photo of your sweet new ride:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/forum/59-official-welcome-forum/

I can't tell for sure from your post if you found the classifieds or not. If you haven't, they are currently set up as just another forum, so from the top navigation: BROWSE | FORUMS | CLASSIFIEDS (at the bottom).

Or you can just use this link:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/forum/120-classifieds/

Archived