We're back - woot!

• Member Contributer

Thanks Miguel, can't imagine what your week has been like. If the biggest concern is inaccurate post count you've done great! Kinda like the new look, too.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Is there an easy way to NOT show MOTOGP.com posts in the "unread" string?

I feel it overshadows the contributions from VFRD members on VFR's. 

Just a comment: I don't see the ability to edit a plain text version of the posts. However, the quoted post, the main reason I use the text editor, seems to be stored as image can be very easily copied/pasted.

• Forum CEO
6 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Is there an easy way to NOT show MOTOGP.com posts in the "unread" string?

I feel it overshadows the contributions from VFRD members on VFR's. 

It was a feed of set up years ago and disabled it. The forum conversion enabled it somehow. I just deleted the feed

• Forum CEO
7 hours ago, Knight said:

Just a comment: I don't see the ability to edit a plain text version of the posts. However, the quoted post, the main reason I use the text editor, seems to be stored as image can be very easily copied/pasted.

Click source in the editor 

1 hour ago, HispanicSlammer said:

Click source in the editor 

Here is my view. Where is source? I figure it is either right in front of me and obvious, or it is a security restricted option.

editor_view.png

• Member Contributer

Thank you Miguel for keeping the house door open.  I was lost and frankly worrying. :-)  Many  thanks for all your hard work with this.  

Dave.

• Member Contributer

I checked through a few of my old threads - still seem to have photos that use links from Photobucket.  It may depend on their source. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks HS, good to see the site back up and running.

• Member Contributer

Another thanks for putting this together in the first place, then rebuilding it since the crash.  

I like the black on white, easier on the eyes.

HS, most of us don't realize the countless hours/days you work on this site especially after a major belly up that occurred this time, and now basically having to rebuild the entire site after updating to the latest software! CRAZY!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I about cancelled Tmac as there was no VFRD, but I kept getting sign-ups and wondered how. So I asked the person who signed up last and they said VFRD was up!  I just couldn't hit it from my old favorites.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!! 

I concur a big thanks to HS!  Kept checking and checking all week and nada.  Then I was using my tablet and tried and it came right up!  Guess i can delete the old bookmark on the cpu, lol. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

HS, most of us don't realize the countless hours/days you work on this site especially after a major belly up that occurred this time, and now basically having to rebuild the entire site after updating to the latest software! CRAZY!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I about cancelled Tmac as there was no VFRD, but I kept getting sign-ups and wondered how. So I asked the person who signed up last and they said VFRD was up!  I just couldn't hit it from my old favorites.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!! 

I'll bet there are a lot of members with that issue still.  The old favorites / bookmarks don't work, so they figure the site went under.   Too bad there isn't some way to send a blast notification to user's emails to let them know it's running again. 

• Forum CEO

Look I know some of you cant stand change, but your all adults you know what happens if you dont keep up with the times. I am sorry some things are not the same, missing, or not working. I just want to assure you I am listening, fixing what I can, reporting the things I cant, and I am working on making this place better every day. Keep informing me if you run into problems its the best way to improve this site. I need constructive suggestions, and I need to know what is not working.

I plan on adding the following 

This weekend or in the near future

A homepage - featured picture, basic rundown of topics, featured stories and posts

fix all the little broken stuff

upgrade the database, the webadmin server, upgrade php, and fix the apache configuration

add member map, donation portion, links, and all the third party stuff I added from the old site I had before if it has been updated

To recap what happened there was a problem with a hard drive, luckily I had backups of all the files, unfortunately I had not upgraded the server software in over a year due to the fact that there were conflicts with the old software, it worked as it was but did not work when I tried to upgrade the server software.  I had planned on upgrading to this version 6 months ago but the classifieds section author pretty much abandoned the project due to other commitments.  I waited forever for a new release, then the hard drive crashed and well I couldn't reinstate the server as it was because the operating system, the database, php, apache and all the inner workings have all since upgraded to newer versions and I couldn't find the old combo of software that worked with the backups I had. I spent 2 days trying and thought well if I am going to work on the side I should forget about making the old stuff work and just upgrade everything and stop wasting time on old unsupported software! So here we are! I am still learning how to use this site myself because it is much different on my end too.  It was a well oiled machine before and I wlll get it back to that state as soon as I can, I just need to make a new blueprint and then implement it.  

• Forum CEO

The old links have this format

Http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php

the new format is shorter 

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php

I am going to put in a redirect in the /forum/ folder to redirect old website calls but I am not having much luck with some of the different ways It would go

• Member Contributer

I'd say we need a donate 2.0 button to put some little dough into HS' beer kitty....

Just as HS said, nothing lasts forever, nothing.    Just roll with it...

• Member Contributer

Thank you v much HS. Any thing you put up is better that what my brain screamed at first failure: WHAT THE H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS AM I GOING TO DO WITH 40 HOURS A WEEK OF NEW FREE TIME!!!!! WAIT! HOLY SOCKS!! THERE IS SIMPLY NO SUBSTITUTE FOR VFRD. The first time I logged in after the failure I was offered a down load of a bunch of code I knew nothing about. I thought "Hi-jack?"

Soooooo glad we are back. I don't think life is worth living w/o my VFRD family.  

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, HispanicSlammer said:

I think I just fixed the redirect from /forum/index to /index your old browser links should be working now? 

Yes - my browser links are are working again.  Thanks!

I can't say I'm a fan of the new format, but am so grateful the site is still running. Thanks HS for all your hard work.

A small bug report: for some reason every page I open on vfrd displays an annoying notification popup (see image). It only happens on this site. I've never seen it happen anywhere else. Any idea how to get rid of it? Thx.

screenshot.jpg

• Member Contributer

^^^  Where it says "Always Receive Notifications" select the drop down and select to block notifications. 

3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

^^^  Where it says "Always Receive Notifications" select the drop down and select to block notifications. 

That's the first thing I tried, but it had no effect.

I did some Googling and found there's a Firefox about:config setting that turns the thing off.

Apparently VFRD is the only site I've ever visited that wants to do "push notifications". Whatever those are. I'm not sure if HS configured that intentionally on his server, or by accident. So I just thought I'd mention it.

Archived