We're back - woot!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
10 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Look at that post count hit, ouch! From 21,000+ to 7k...

;)

The strange thing about that is that when I first logged in yesterday, the post counts looked normal.  Mine was where it had been on the 19th.  Then I ran a search on members and sorted by posts - just curious how data had come over.   You and BR were in the 22,xxx to 23,xxx range, Switchblade and Dutchy in the 12,xxx range - all looked normal.  Then for whatever reason, I looked at it a few hours later and BAM!  Something had happened.   Everyone had taken a haircut, but it wasn't proportional.   Some lost way more than others.  So initially at least the data came over, but somehow in those first hours something changed.   Maybe that ship will right itself, but it also could be the 'new normal'.  Time will tell. 

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

The strange thing about that is that when I first logged in yesterday, the post counts looked normal.  Mine was where it had been on the 19th.  Then I ran a search on members and sorted by posts - just curious how data had come over.   You and BR were in the 22,xxx to 23,xxx range, Switchblade and Dutchy in the 12,xxx range - all looked normal.  Then for whatever reason, I looked at it a few hours later and BAM!  Something had happened.   Everyone had taken a haircut, but it wasn't proportional.   Some lost way more than others.  So initially at least the data came over, but somehow in those first hours something changed.   Maybe that ship will right itself, but it also could be the 'new normal'.  Time will tell. 

• Forum CEO

I purged the forum of old posts a few months ago for stuff that had no activity or views for over 600 days, it cut out a hugh storage on the database. I was having complaints that the forum was locking up on new members registering - so I litened up the database by 7gigs.  The new software converted members counts were recounted and updated minus the old posts I purged. Its just a sign of how active things have been over the last 3 years compared to 10 years of counts

• Member Contributer

Hold on a second . . . now look at Seb's post total . . . 21,314!  How'd that happen . . . ? 

• Member Contributer

Waiting to see how the update evolves.

Couple things I noticed. Double line return instead of single line. Not sure how I feel about that. That's almost like forcing the double space after a period.

Picture links to Piwigo galleries now work, which will probably only affect me, but I'm happy.

Vivaldi doesn't seem to screw up as much with keyboard commands.

• Member Contributer

It could be made into a monster,

if we all pull together as a team......   :-)

• Member Contributer

click on Unread Content and a string of posts appears.

Prefer other strings but that is a different matter..... 

Capture.JPG

On 2016-04-25 at 8:10 AM, Knight said:

A redirect could be put in place to handle those old links. However, this site is extremely well indexed. Google will otherwise expire the old links while it continuously crawls the site and re-indexes the posts. Depending on how many forces are at work, I would say from a few weeks to a few months google should be updated.

I do use "site:vfrdiscussion.com" searches on google. Works great.

A redirect would be greatly appreciated...there are thousands of links all over the web on external sites pointing to VFRD threads and all of them are now 404'ing :(

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Bit of a spoiler? 

Yes, it sure could be!

Remind me to watch the races before logging onto VFRD...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I went through withdrawal with the rest of the crew. Glad to see the family survived the outage.

Now to figure how it all works.

• Member Contributer

I'd guess that traffic volume on the site will be significantly lower for a while until Google re-indexes the links & topics and users with broken favorites / bookmarks figure out it's back in operation. 

Adding a 301 redirect should solve the Google/link issue. Not tested obviously but something as simple as:

RedirectMatch 301 ^/forums/index.php http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php

in your Apache config should at least allow the old links to work I think.  (HS can correct me if I'm wrong!)

Archived