We're back - woot!

• Member Contributer

Looks like we're back on line . . . !    Still have not figured out how to filter for the latest posts . . . 1 step at a time.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Looking a little different but looks like the old content is still here.

• Member Contributer

Looks like avatars will need to be reloaded as well as signature lines, if we can even still have those.    It's going to take some searching to locate the ride icons. I also don't see any emoticons - maybe just a database update for those.   Member info all looks to be present as before.  There probably still a lot of maintenance and updating to do!  Probably been a hectic past week for Miguel!

After 4 days there are probably members that are having serious withdrawal symptoms!   I posted on the "other" VFR site that it's back up and running.  My old bookmarks are no longer valid - I had to re-create them.   I'll be interested to get the lowdown on what transpired.  Just glad to be back! 

• Member Contributer

Interesting... I was trying to look at some old threads, using google to search. The links wouldn't work, but if you manually edit the url to take out the /forum/ (change www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83371-were-back-woot/ to www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/83371-were-back-woot/) it works just fine. Glad it's back...

• Member Contributer

Phew,   I for a moment considered joining the other site................   :-)

• Member Contributer

Still trying to find the signature editor...  Let's see if that worked.  [EDIT: It didn't!]

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Lots of posts donot show pictures anymore but something like Attachment:.......

Fingers crossed they reappear......

So it this new layout planned or did the old one go belly up? Just curious....

• Forum CEO

Belly up. I tried to reinstall everything in the backup server 4 days ago. The server failed a hard drive, I had to reimage the server with a new os, and it did not have the right repositories for the version of mysql database server i was using before. The database was old. I downloaded some old repositories trying to get it to work. I tried for a day but they all had missing libraries of stuff I needed to run the old forum software. So 

I said F that I'm just going to upgrade everything and install the newest version invisionboard 4. If I'm going to spend all that time working on it it's going to get updated. So that's what I did. Still needs a lot of work obviously but the forum is up and running now.

Have you considered moving to AWS?  Might be more expensive than your current setup but backup/recovery are pretty much solved for you.

Either way thanks for getting it back up and running, it's appreciated by everyone I'm sure...I know spending a weekend cursing at servers is never fun.

4 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Interesting... I was trying to look at some old threads, using google to search. The links wouldn't work, but if you manually edit the url to take out the /forum/ (change www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83371-were-back-woot/ to www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/83371-were-back-woot/) it works just fine. Glad it's back...

A redirect could be put in place to handle those old links. However, this site is extremely well indexed. Google will otherwise expire the old links while it continuously crawls the site and re-indexes the posts. Depending on how many forces are at work, I would say from a few weeks to a few months google should be updated.

I do use "site:vfrdiscussion.com" searches on google. Works great.

• Member Contributer

hadn't been on in a while. Randomly went to look in and WHAT! GONE?  WOW that was weird.  and scary. 

All is well that ends well. 

• Member Contributer

I am just glad that I didn't need to start seeing a therapist for my withdrawal issues.  Was starting to get seriously worried there... glad we are back online HS!

• Member Contributer

Nothing lasts forever, that is once more proven...

And data security comes at a price too high for fleeting memories I guess.

• Member Contributer

Well four days without VFRD....I was going crazy(ier?)!

With no VFRD I went outside and ended up adding a 640 Sq Ft deck and painting the house.  Rented a bobcat and cut some retaining walls, loaded in three pallets of railroad cross ties and waiting on the 7 yards of gravel to tidy up the drainage issue.

Hope I didn't set the bar too high for the wifey...

SO GLAD TO HAVE THE SITE BACK,

Thanks Slammer!

• Member Contributer

Man, I missed you guys -- even Dutchy, who based on his new avatar, spent the lost days smoking cannabis and listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" on vinyl.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

Well four days without VFRD....I was going crazy(ier?)!

With no VFRD I went outside and ended up adding a 640 Sq Ft deck and painting the house.  Rented a bobcat and cut some retaining walls, loaded in three pallets of railroad cross ties and waiting on the 7 yards of gravel to tidy up the drainage issue.

Hope I didn't set the bar too high for the wifey...

SO GLAD TO HAVE THE SITE BACK,

Thanks Slammer!

Lol, so glad my wife doesnt read these post! 

CC, your wife Doesnt happen to have any hacker skills by chance ..................;)

Archived