1983 Vf750F Resurrection

andy1100

Hello guys.

Few yesrs ago friend of mine gave me half a dozen of boxes and said this is a 1983 VF750F that had burned fuel relay and probably some problems with the harness. He took the bike apart, but then came marrige, mortgage, kids, etc and there's no time to complete the project... I could not refuse.

I had it sitting it my garage for few years as well and now the time has come. I've started the process of putting this bike together.

I've seen few of this projects on this forum and I hope to find some great wisdom and knowledge that I can tap in to help me to pull this project to the end.

I've rebuild 4 crashed Hondas before, but nothing that old, plus last time this bike has seen the road was 2003.

I'll place some pictures and I'll update this thread as I go along.

So far this is what I've accomplished:

- Lightly sended the frame and uplied rust converter to the rusty spots.

- Primed the frame swing arm, kick stand, center stand, and few other small pieces related to the rear swing arm

- Painted the frame using silver brake caliper Plasti-Cote paint

- Painted the center stand and to littke arms using Black Gloss Epoxy Plasti-Cote paint

I basically just did the same project on the same bike. I have some work to do to make it better, but I've made some good progress and I enjoy the hell out of it. Let's see some pics!

Today's progress. Started frame assembly, installed new bearings into the swingarm and attached it to the frame.

Next, i want to take apart the rear shock and change all fluids. Id like to replace the seals, if i can find them.post-35534-14610499879922.jpg

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

post-35534-14610496745426.jpg

post-35534-14610497242158.jpg

This thread is going to be good!

Question: Are you going to try to rebuild the stock pneumatic shock? If so, you are a brave man indeed!

I looked closer at the rear shock today, pulled the boot off. No signs of oil leak.

As per manual, it says to remove the seal in order to replace the fluid. I don't have the special tools (yet) to remove/install retaining ring. Also after pressing the seal out (down) manual says to keep the shock in this position for 10 min to let the fluid drain and then flip it to prevent draining the rest of fluid.

Is there a way to drain/replace all fluid without taking the seal out?

Meanwhile ill start making the tool.

Also took apart rear brake caliper. Brake fluid turned into paste, looks like grease...The brake housing is in rough shape, looks like someone used a hammer on it.

9a7019d87c0433f9ede9057ddcfa8ae8.jpg

To push the pistons out i used a grease gun, removed the tip and removed the banjo fitting bolt on the caliper. Lucky me....the thread on the grease gun is same as the caliper bolt. Few squirts of the grease gun and the pistons are out. Tomorrow will run all parts thru parts washer.f5c5541cce2fa47bebb9fb7942975171.jpg

post-35534-1461129233136.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

May 03, 2016

The forum is up and running again...Thanks.

Haven't made a lot of progress since last week.

1. Pulled out the seal from rear shock, used a bearing race as a tool.

Found a very good write-up on another forum on complete shock disassembly, but i think ill stop at just replacing the seal and changing fluid.

2d3306b1a6e4e277409350aaafece23c.jpg

13253d6b1bc18668a8965c0366e073ce.jpg

2. Disassembled front brake calipers, rear brake caliper and rear brake master cylinder.

2. Placed an order for seals

3. Got another rear brake caliper of eBay, its in a better shape. Still needs a complete overhaul.

fbef46ff04462d12e1264e70fb438b9b.jpg

66e228f61d3d6905f5689dfe5c621143.jpg

4. Finally received bearings and seals kits from Amazon, these are 5 kits available from All Balls Racing. Replaced bearings and seals in front and rear wheels and steering neck.

5. Reassembled front and rear wheels.

6. Pulled out the engine for inspection.

ceb7bd81737beef18d9ca04fd5b025ed.jpg

a8fee88281e957444943b8102903a5fd.jpg

8b886c6d8888c0907967ac9fb334e4a6.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice, your motor looks almost new...keep pictures coming.

I'm assembling parts at the moment, I'll start posting when I get to actual rebuild work.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Going to check the cams?

Yes. Pulled off top covers today. The cams look ok dont see any scoring. Will try to mic them without pulling camshafts off. Pics tomorrow...

Nice, your motor looks almost new...keep pictures coming.

I'm assembling parts at the moment, I'll start posting when I get to actual rebuild work.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Yes, the engine doesn't look bad. Theres some corrosion on exposed aluminum and minor paint damage on the clutch cover. Ill have to address these issues.

My guess is need to buy top end gasket set and clean clutch cylinder.

That sounds like you are on top of it.  I have not had any problems with mine but I will have to check things out when I do my resto-mod.    

I did my 83 last summer, paint & powder coat, replaced just about all the rubber parts & seals (Ozone & age makes them brittle), OEM part are all available on Partzilla. Any aluminum parts that are really bad should be sent to Nils Menton at Restocycle.com to be cleaned up by Vapor Blasting NOT sand or glass beading. Results are truly amazing, wish I knew about him before I did mine. Your brakes would look great. I was lucky, mine sat with DOT 5 fluid in the clutch & brakes, and it looked as good as new. Mine spares with Dot 4 were all gummed up.

If your shock doesn't work out I have two low mileage original shocks. Mine has a FOX rear shock.

• Member Contributer

Can you post the link to the complete write up of the rear shock (dis)assembly please?

P8269514.jpg

On 5/14/2016 at 1:14 PM, Allyance said:

I did my 83 last summer, paint & powder coat, replaced just about all the rubber parts & seals (Ozone & age makes them brittle), OEM part are all available on Partzilla. Any aluminum parts that are really bad should be sent to Nils Menton at Restocycle.com to be cleaned up by Vapor Blasting NOT sand or glass beading. Results are truly amazing, wish I knew about him before I did mine. Your brakes would look great. I was lucky, mine sat with DOT 5 fluid in the clutch & brakes, and it looked as good as new. Mine spares with Dot 4 were all gummed up.

If your shock doesn't work out I have two low mileage original shocks. Mine has a FOX rear shock.

All my brakes a gummed up and corroded, the PO took the bike apart and it sat since 2003 in boxes. Thanks for the offer, I just received the seal for the shock, so I'm gonna reassemble it and see if it works OK. Im trying to keep all original.

Found a vapour blasting company locally. Thanks for the tip.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, andy1100 said:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/shock-rebuild-showa-air-over.381537/

Here's the link. The fella's name is Pete. E-mail him if you have any questions.

Wow that is some serious endeavor.....

I have a new YSS in my VF500F2 and thought of refurbishing the OEM... thought....

My middle name will be "chicken" for a while I guess....  :goofy:

Yes, it looks somewhat complicated, I e-mailed Pete cause I had some questions, he told me he's done about 15 of them. 

May 17, 2016

2 weeks has passed since last post, no progress on this project. Been busy rebuilding my pull behind motorcycle trailer that I've built 2 years ago, on the way back from Sturgis in 2014 got hit by a piece of the brake drum laying in the middle of the road, trailer axle got bent badly. Had to stop for the night to find a shop to fix the axle. The repair held OK to get home, but wheels are not running true. I got a new axle on sale and bigger wheels, went from 4.80/4-8 to 5.3- 12, made a swivel hitch adapter - I did feel the hitch binding on sharp turns. Also moved the axle 6" forward and extended the drawbar , all in in effort to reduce tongue weight.

Finally received a big order of seals from US vendor and picked up a bag of metric o-rings from local vendor (fraction of the cost if bought from Honda dealer even on-line). Also received some rebuild kits for brake and clutch cylinders. Back to work ....

I might start videotaping the workfor the Youtube, have a channel there, I was looking for details on the rear brake master cylinder and could not find anything decent. I'll place the links when done.

May 18, 2016

Trailer rebuild is done. All i have left is to make brakets to position the fenders and i can go back to vf750.68a5756b9632a651feed81bfd1fd567f.jpg

• Member Contributer

You take your mother-in-law with you on motorcycle trips??   :goofy:

On 5/19/2016 at 2:56 AM, Dutchy said:

You take your mother-in-law with you on motorcycle trips??   :goofy:

Ha..ha...   NO...but when camping I hate riding to the nearest store drunk. This way i load up with beer and relax  :)

• 2 weeks later...

June 02, 2016

Finally got around to assemble the rear shock Showa MB2-003. Filled it up with Lucas Syntetic forck oil weight 10. Put a new seal in. Nothing spectacular pretty straight forward. The shock worked fine so i didn't have to do a complete rebuild with extreme disassembly.

https://youtu.be/Y2G30a1z3UE

June 04, 2016

Today had a very productive day, managed to  install new rear tire, that took a while. Got the tire on, but just could not get the bead to sit properly. Took the wheel to Harley dealership, they spent 1/2 hr with no result. Had to call my Russian friend for advice, the secret - dish soap and lots of it. Got the tire on myself in about 10 min.

Put the rear wheel in and assembled rear brake caliper using pieces of 2 calipers that I had. Changed seals and all o-rings in the front forks and replaced the fluid, and started front end assembly. Things are moving on, it starts to look like a bike.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

Archived