Motogp Austin

JETS

• Member Contributer

Anyone in range of Austin, consider volunteering to be a track marshall next spring when MotoGP comes around again. I did so this round, and though it was long hours and a lot of standing at trackside ready for action, it was a blast! I was right across from Lorenzo tossing it in practice, and just a turn away from a serious event that got med-evac'd. It is a privilege to be mere feet away from all the famous riders as they rip by at full throttle, ones you have only watched at a distance before.

I was a medic, who assists an EMT to provide immediate assessment to a fallen rider. Others were track marshalls, who deploy barriers, haul crashed bikes, and put out fires---all of which was done at COTA. One can also man a flag station, attend the grid line up, or do tech checks in the garages, and more. All positions are trained by the staff, and experienced staff provide a backbone to the volunteers. The COTA team provides 3 meals, drinks, ice, and transport onto the track from a central base parking area that is free to volunteers. You also are allowed to walk the pits at certain times. You are appreciated and treated very well.

You want to know what it's like to be on the inside of the fence and on international TV? Just sign up next year!! I dang sure will be.

post-3259-0-03386800-1460954847.jpg

post-3259-0-60185400-1460954893.jpg

post-3259-0-47527200-1460954914.jpg

post-3259-0-94687300-1460954929.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, if they paid for my air fare from California too, I would definitely be all over it! Who knows, maybe I can save up for the airfare and still do it, thanks for sharing the idea,

Archived