Gopro Helmet Mounts?

I picked up the basic GoPro yesterday, hoping I'll be able to use it as a "dashcam" in case anything ever happens to me because drivers here are asshats. Anyways, what helmet mounts do you guys have experience with? And I guess I'd be open to an unobtrusive mount behind the screen if there's something good for my purpose, but I'd want something quickly removed and hard-mounted.

• Member Contributer

Personally I don't care to have a camera strapped to my helmet so I go with Ram Mount setups.

Here is a Ram Mount setup I use for my Innov C3 camera. It sits behind the windscreen and can have different length arms and "locking" options as well as GoPro camera mounts.

DSCN1163_zps9nnpnond.jpg

DSCN1162_zpsfeafz5qa.jpg

DSCN1158_zpssarxt3id.jpg

DSCN1147_zpsilbnpj71.jpg

DSCN1146_zpsfonniy6s.jpg

Some side mount pics

DSCN1141_zps2aph1ioz.jpg

DSCN1137_zpslgsglkj7.jpg

• Member Contributer

Not sure about helmet mounts.

The jury is still out as to what effect they have on the helmet's structure in an accident.

Look at what happened to Michael Schumaker. His injuries were caused by a helmet cam adding a point load to his helmet and the helmet failing, as far as I know.

• Member Contributer

Not sure about helmet mounts.

The jury is still out as to what effect they have on the helmet's structure in an accident.

Look at what happened to Michael Schumaker. His injuries were caused by a helmet cam adding a point load to his helmet and the helmet failing, as far as I know.

I know that at the track day I attended, they said no helmet cams!

I like the idea of a helmet mount because it will follow my gaze and show more than just directly in front of me. For instance, Friday, some jackwad about hit my leg with his front fender trying to push into my lane, which would not have shown on a bar - mounted camera.

Does the first mount posted block your view of the gauges?

• Member Contributer

I like the idea of a helmet mount because it will follow my gaze and show more than just directly in front of me. For instance, Friday, some jackwad about hit my leg with his front fender trying to push into my lane, which would not have shown on a bar - mounted camera.

Does the first mount posted block your view of the gauges?

I completely understand the desire for helmet cam use and there are several that can be used, lust look at Go Pros website. If I were to go with a helmet mount, I'd probably aim for a chin mount rather than top or side.

As far as the mount I have, I'd does no completely block my view, a slight tilt of my head or a quick lean left or right and I can see whatever is slightly blocked. I positioned it to allow good recording view as well as the least amount t of intrusion on dash view.

Archived