Rothmans Resurrection - Bringing The Ultimate Barn Find Back To Life

evl_twn

Question

• Member Contributer

So last year, another member on here and myself got wind of a bike that had been sitting for a while, and discovered it was available. Needless to say, he jumped at the chance. The first post in this thread are the pics taken by the previous owner of the bike as it sat. Overall looks pretty solid, but definitely will need some work to get it back to fully operational status :)

Roth30 2

Roth30 1

Roth30 3

Roth30 4

Roth30 5

Roth30 6

Roth30 7

Roth30 8

Roth30 9

Roth30 10

Roth30 11

Roth30 12

• Member Contributer

We actually had the bike running the first day he brought the bike over. We did a quick carb clean (more on that later) and valve clearance check, new battery and it fired right up :) Gotta love a Honda :)

valves

After that, the parts started coming off...

getting started

First up, the brakes. They were definitely needing a thorough cleanup.

brakes

brakes2

caliper

They did seem to clean up OK though :)

caliper2

caliper3

caliper4

• Member Contributer

The bike is actually pretty much done, I'm just now trying to gather up and document the whole process. Some things will probably be out of order, but I'll add notes about what we did :)

This was the first pic I took of the bike on the lift the day it showed up...

beginning

The mismatched black and gold wheels needed to be corrected. White wheels suck to keep clean, but they seemed like a better fit for this bike. Another RC30 rear wheel was put in place while the gold rear was sent off with a VFR750 front for powdercoating.

wheels

wheels2

So the bike was flipped around on the lift, and the front end taken off. The bike's owner cleaned up the top triple clamp and fork bottoms. Race Tech fork springs were added, as well as SKF forks seals from Jamie Daugherty. One of the oddball things about the RC30 is that the forks have compression and rebound damping adjustments, but no adjustment for preload. :wacko: That was fixed by adding a set of fork caps from a GSXR750. We'll probably have to give the bike some anti-rejection medication from this point forward for adding Suzuki parts, but they're both Showa.

front Off

fork springs

fork caps

forks

While the front end was off, the steering head bearings were also replaced. The refinished upper triple clamp and fork legs definitely look a lot better now :) And, there's adjustable preload!

upper triple

The RC30 is formally known as the VFR750R. Since it's a VFR, it's also susceptible to the traditional wiring issues :) We found a crispy stator connector and starter solenoid connector. No problem, just needed a custom VFRness made up, and also got the stator connector kit at the same time :)

wiring4

stator

VFRness

Speaking of wiring, at some point the temp gauge must have been disconnected or replaced and some custom work was done to the wiring harness with wire nuts :wacko: That was also sorted out.

wiring

wiring2

wiring3

After the front end was back together, it was time to flip the bike around and get to work on the back.

rear

All the rear end parts were taken apart, cleaned, greased, and reassembled.

swingarm

rear parts

The RC30 came from Honda with safety wire on the sprocket nuts and center axle nut, so that was also redone when the back end went together.

sprocket

New fancy gold boinger

shock

After that, it almost started looking like a motorcycle again.

getting there

progress

The cooling system was also gone through, replacing the thermostat and radiator cap mostly due to age. All the hoses were checked and seemed OK, but the radiators needed some fin work. That definitely took some time, but they should flow air a bit better now.

rads

rads2

rads3

rads4

The carbs were a bit of a mess when we first took it apart, but we got them clean enough to get the bike running. Turns out they needed more than just cleaning since they were leaking pretty bad, so new float valves and petcock rebuild kit from NRP was ordered, and a complete gasket kit from LiteTek

carbs

carbs2

petcock

petcock2

• Member Contributer

I wish I had a fraction of the skills (and garage) required to do something like that.

Great find and looks like a very thorough job. :beer:

• Member Contributer

The bike didn't have turn signals on it when he got it, so we were looking for something better than the huge factory blobs, but less tacky than the typical stick on winkers. I sourced a set of Chinesium knockoffs of the RVF style turn signals, similar to what the JDM RC30 came with originally. The rears mounted up OK with a set of unobtanium original brackets, but we had to figure something out for the front since these are surface mounted on the NC35. I ripped the stalks from a set of 3rd gen blobs, and used those as spacers. Seems to work OK.

turn signals

turn signals 2

After all the mechanicals and electricals were sorted, it was just a matter of cleaning everything up and putting it all back together. The paint cleaned up VERY well, I'm going to miss this bike when he comes to fetch it :sad:

tank

lower

done

Now all that's left is the shakedown ride, so hopefully I'll have pics of the bike to post tomorrow of the bike out in the wild :)

• Member Contributer

Looking good!

The orderly placement of the parts for the brake rebuild made me especially happy. Lol

Seb, did you see the carb pic? That one took a bit more time :)

• Member Contributer

Road test is complete :) I didn't want to put too many miles (KM) on it since it's not mine, but it runs every bit as good as it looks :)

test

• Member Contributer

Road test is complete :) I didn't want to put too many miles (KM) on it since it's not mine, but it runs every bit as good as it looks :)

And it looks damn good...

• Member Contributer

It's a '88 with KM clocks but big headlights and no J-spec frame badge...where did it come from?

But in any case it is a beautiful bike and lovingly restored!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Love it.

And the rebuild process - so meticulous and clean.

I envy your skills.

Archived