Wiring Up A Power Socket.

Nelix

• Member Contributer

I'm going to fit this to allow me to power a sat nav. I don't have access to a multimeter, (was thinking of wiring into the tail light switch so it will only be powered up when ignition is on), can anyone who has done this advise on what wire to which connection?

Thanks, sorry if it has been covered, could not find anything with a quick search.

IMG_0171_zpsl73nma7w.jpg

• Member Contributer

The best way to do it, is to have a relay connected directly to the battery for main power input and to the tail light + for switching input. Your accessories should then be powered from the relay main power output. When the tail light receives power, the relay switches ON and provides power to accessories.

This will allow you to 1 - Get all of 12V from the battery and 2 - Not overload the tail light circuit.

3051_1_Relay_Diagram.jpg

relay_diagram.JPG

So, in the above picture:

87 - Battery +

85 - Ground

30 - Your GPS

86 - Tail light + wire

• Member Contributer

Right let's see if I've got this right, many thanks for the reply.

I purchase a relay, connect the black wire of my accessory socket to 85, relay ground. Connect the red wire of my accessory socket to 87b on the relay, and wire the relay to the +ve battery terminal.

Wire the relay 30h to the tail light wire live.

Or am I totally wrong?

I need one of these?

_12%201_zpss47fwlkm.jpg

• Member Contributer

In this relay:

85/86 - Ground or Tail light wire. Doesn't matter which is where. This is switching power to let the relay know to turn main power on or off.

30 - Directly to the battery +

87 - To your accessories. It is advisable to connect accessories via a fuse if your GPS doesn't have one already on its + wire. Or directly to a fuse block if you're planning to have more than one accessory.

P.S. If you mix up 30 and 87 it doesn't matter either. All it does is complete + main power circuit.

• Member Contributer

Cheers Fink, so that will plug straight into my harness? How do I then connect my accessory as shown in the first post?

• Member Contributer

Cut off the ends and attach Bullets provided.

Thanks. Still not got the bike, was hoping today but will be next Tuesday at the earliest now due to my shifts. Got a cheap multimeter coming off ebay, if I cant work it out will just buy one of your kits mate.

There is already an option-connector for accessories. Use this. It has its own fuse as well, called "ACC".

Look by the battery. There is an unused connector, if you dont have the extra cig-plug installed (even If you have, there is a Y-connector with an unused plug. I have this in the attached pic.)

In this connector there are four wires, as follows:

Green = Grond (connect to your black wire)

Black/Yellow = +12 via ignition (connect to your red wire. Your nav will then only be powered when bike is on, witch is a good thing.)

Red/Green = +12 always on

Pink = ?? Something else. Goes to the indicator relay.

post-32124-0-80002600-1460650481.jpg

• Member Contributer

Many thanks timm, will be next week before I get the bike, will have a look when I get it,

Timm, thanks for sharing this.

Is that extra connector also used for the Honda OEM 12V Socket (Honda P/N 08U70-MJM-D00)?

Does someone sell plugs that fit to the extra connector?

• Member Contributer

You can import them from the states. There is a supplier in the uk but he is charging £12 plus vat for the connector. Which is daylight robbery.

Timm, thanks for sharing this.

Is that extra connector also used for the Honda OEM 12V Socket (Honda P/N 08U70-MJM-D00)?

Does someone sell plugs that fit to the extra connector?

You can also find the connector if you search on ebay.

To me, I find it more work and money than actual profit to come around the correct plug.

I am about to rewire my charger, satnav and an electric oiler on my bike. It will end up in a whole bunch of connectors.

I will tap the wires before the connector by simply soldering some extra wires there. These extra wires I will connect to some distribution blocks. This keeps the connector for Honda-stock-accessories as well as making it easy for me to add whatever electric gizmos I want. :)

Yes, I have the Honda OEM 12V socket installed in the photo. You can see it adds an empty Y-coupling if you get more Honda-extras.

• Member Contributer

Well found on eBay.

I have an auxiliary fuse box wired in through my harness. It's all done through a relay so I can safely add heavy amp stuff should I wish. At present I'm running. Sat nav, autocom 2 way radio, I pod , phone. All can be removed and the bike can be put back to original condition unlike when you are chopping into wires or using scotch locks and posi taps.

I went to battery bay and checked how the extra OEM accessory connector looks like.

I found a red connector close to battery + pole.

There seems to be actually both female and male 4 way connectors in place.
But the male connector housing miss the (metalic) terminals and wire seals.

I wonder now how-to extract the male connector so that I don't break anything.

I went to battery bay and checked how the extra OEM accessory connector looks like.

I found a red connector close to battery + pole.

There seems to be actually both female and male 4 way connectors in place.

But the male connector housing miss the (metalic) terminals and wire seals.

I wonder now how-to extract the male connector so that I don't break anything.

No, stop!!

The red connector is the diagnostics port. Please dont tamper with that one.

(The male connector without the terminals is just a lid to keep water out since there is usually nothing connected there.)

My acc-connector comes out from the wire harness just by the battery on the left hand side of the bike. It is the same size as the red diagnostics port but it is white (or greyish), possibly also has a cap on it to keep moisture out. It might be tucked in somewhere underneath the fusebox on the left hand side.

Look at this photo. It is one of the white square-looking sockets you are looking for. :)

(I have two because the oem-12V jack adds an extra.)

post-32124-0-77197900-1461000023.jpg

I bought this one from Aliexpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1set-CB400-Automotive-sensor-Oxygen-sensor-plug-connectors-Electrical-Wire-connector-Plug-DJ7045F-2-2/32357408666.html

Took me a while to figure out, this fits on the acc-connector indicated by timm.

Thanks for stopping me Timm.

The acc-connector is taped to the harness (going to rear lights) on the left side of the bike.

Just beside the left side fusebox as your picture shows.

I do a little follow-up here. :)

Fink's got a point. The OEM cig-lighther is rated 1A only, so I fiddeled together a relay.

The relay's coil is driven by the bike's auxillary connector. One of the relay's contact is connected directly to the battery+ with a fuse in between, the other goes to a distribution block were all stuff is connected. All is put together in a nice looking harness. I then located the relay in the very rear of the bike, in the little space by the tail light. Works like a charm.

rela2.png

• Member Contributer

I ended up wiring my power socket into the fuse for the headlights and an earth. Was hoping to find a connector to fit straight into the accessory connection but was unsur if I had found it. What I found looked to have a "protective cap" over it, but for the life of me I could not work out how to remove it so left well alone in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Sumitomo connector and now I have wired my navigator to the OEM accessory connector.

I checked the black/yellow and the red/green wires with a voltage meter  and they are as timm says: red/green is hot always and yellow/black is hot only when ignition is on.

Interesting detail though, red/green gave me 13,3 V and yellow/black gave me 13,0 V.

• Member Contributer

Jussi, any chance of a pic of the OEM accessory connector? 

Im struggling to identify it.

Archived