Problems Finding And Downloading Power Commander 3 Usb Maps For 5Th Gen (1998)

Corey

I am trying to download Power Commander 3 USB maps from the www.powercommander.com website here for my 5th Gen running a Micron Slip on an K&N air filter (maps 101-003 & 101-004). The problem I am having is that the files that I end up with won't unzip, install, import or anything else. The seem to be corrupt or something. From within the Power Commander Control Center software I have tried "open" and "import" map and neither of them work.

Anybody know what is causing this and/or have the full set of maps for a 1998 VFR?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

Corey, I have copies of all the PC3 factory maps & a couple of custom ones I had done. PM me a proper email address & I'll fire over the files you want.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, but that map is for a Staintune exhaust. Any other suggestions.

Not that much difference and you could try it and see if you like it .

I contacted Power Commander regarding the maps issue. They were very quick to respond. I wasn't aware of their map incompatibilities, so I thought I would post their response to my inquiry here.

"The ONLY available Power Commander 3 USB map files for American bikes are the files M101-300, M101-301, M101-302, and M101-303. All of the other files listed are either for PC2 (which is completely incompatible with PC3) or European bikes (which shouldn’t be accurate for American applications). Our predeveloped map #M101-302 is the closest to your setup that we currently have available in our map database library. The air flow characteristics between the two setups should be similar enough for the map to work for you as a starting point. "

Looks like I will be starting off with the M101-303 map. I wish there was a way I could plug the number from their 101-003 map into an empty map and save it as a custom map. Anyone?

• Member Contributer

Can't you download the 101-003 map to your power commander, then upload the values using the Save As command with a different name? Should give you a new file containing all the same values as the original.

Can't you download the 101-003 map to your power commander, then upload the values using the Save As command with a different name? Should give you a new file containing all the same values as the original.

The M101-003.map file does not "open" nor "import" into the Power Commander Control Center software.

I think the power commander 3 software uses map files that have a ".djm" (= "dynojet map" ?) suffix.

Attached below is the one I have on my '98.

I somehow found this map on either the powercommander or dynojet website several years ago and saved it. I don't think it appears anywhere on their sites anymore (at least I can't find it).

M101-302.djm

The M101-003.map file does not "open" nor "import" into the Power Commander Control Center software.

Is this device a PCIII USB? (I am not sure but the prior version may have used a serial port.)

Are you using the Power Commander III software vs. PC V software? This software is not backward compatible so one should not use the latest available version.

I just tested this for you. The PC III USB software will import a .map file. If you have the appropriate software and this does not work then the file is corrupt. Have you received files from several of us? Did you try my files?

Yes it is a Power Commander 3 USB.

Maybe I AM running the wrong software. I have version 3.2.1. What version should I be running and where doI find it?

Yes, I did try your files with my 3.2.1 software with no such luck.

When I "import" the .map file nothing happens. All fields remain blank. Just nothing.

I went ahead with the M101-302.djm map per Power Commanders suggestion. My PC3 USB unit is a 111-410 (6th Gen unit) running on my 5th Gen. The M101-302 map uploaded without issue. The bike fires up and runs fine. I am not sure exactly how to evaluate how well the map is working. The throttle response seems smoother and it seems to run at lower RPM's better.

One interesting thing happened. When starting the bike cold I twisted the throttle after about two seconds and the acceleration cut out. I let it warm up more and rode it without issue, but am curious if that is a common thing with Power Commanders? Or was it because the bike was cold? Seems like it could be dangerous if that happened under power.

Did you have the fast idle on? Follow the instructions for warming up the bike. After starting, set the fast idle to about 2500 rpm. The manual states thirty seconds or so. Since the ambient temperature affects warmup, I wait until the gauge begins to read which is at 100°F. Meanwhile do not touch the throttle while the fast idle is active.

If there are no other problems with this bike one could guess that the throttle created a rich condition that the plugs could not ignite.

How many miles are on the bike and have you had the starter valves tuned? How many miles are on the spark plugs? Clean air filter? Gas is fresh? What octane are you using? If high octane try low octane. I do not think that high octane is burning completely in this engine, such as any engine that requires low octane.

I'm can't remember if I had the fast idle on when I initially started. I did pull it on, but I can't remember if it was before or after the throttle cut out. I always turn it on for the recommended 30 seconds or so at 2000-2500 RPM.

Bike has around 25,000 miles on it. I have not had the starter valves tuned. I just installed NGK Iridium plugs last year. Air filter is clean. Gas is fresh, Chevron Brand Ethynol variety at 92 octane. I usually run Chevron brand ethynol free 92 octane gas, but haven't recently because I am not sure if it contains needed detergents.

• Member Contributer

I installed this map from the download section which was taken from a PC2

PC3 USB Staintune 1998-2001 5th gen European map

I started by checking the valve clearances and found them all on spec, love the 5th gen VFR! Then I sync'd the throttle bodies, bought some gauges and did it myself, very easy. I am very happy with the results. The map I had on it was also a european map but according to H.Slammers description he did change some values along with it being originally from a PC2. The old map bogged around 5 to 7k rpm and my milage sucked. Now the idile is spot on and there is no bogging anywhere. Gas milage is still an unknown but I will bet it will be better than the old map

Stock air filter, flapper and pair removed (before installing new map), staintune can.

I'm can't remember if I had the fast idle on when I initially started. I did pull it on, but I can't remember if it was before or after the throttle cut out. I always turn it on for the recommended 30 seconds or so at 2000-2500 RPM.

Bike has around 25,000 miles on it. I have not had the starter valves tuned. I just installed NGK Iridium plugs last year. Air filter is clean. Gas is fresh, Chevron Brand Ethynol variety at 92 octane. I usually run Chevron brand ethynol free 92 octane gas, but haven't recently because I am not sure if it contains needed detergents.

Another possible issue is dirty injectors. The engine relies on a good spray patter near the plug to fire. If the spray pattern is erratic there could be points like cold temp at x rpm where it will not ignite. One may use an injector cleaner or have them cleaned, although only the latter can detect problems.

You can measure the temperature of individual headers at startup and check for a temperature variance among the cylinders. That can catch any problems.

Personal suggestion: Record your mileage and performance, then try the low octane that is recommended for the bike.

Archived