Yet Another Lsl Handlebar Install

Lorne

• Member Contributer

I just finished (almost) installing an LSL Superbike kit on my ’09 Vtec. I’d bought the kit almost 3 years ago and made two abortive attempts before now. My install was more involved than I expected, even after reading the accounts by SereniTTy and Rigger4343.

26193111681_199e88252f_k.jpg

Throttle cables:

I opted to replace mine with an ST1300 set , p/n# 17910-MCS-G00 + 17920-MCS-G00, which are about 4’ / 100mm longer. Other folk have opted to reroute the stock cables.

Hydraulic lines:

On my VFR are run between frame and fork tubes and around the front of the fork tube to the master cylinders. Both were too short unless rerun.

Clutch hose:

It was wrapped around brake/throttle/wiring and couldn’t be moved unless I disconnected it from the master. So I drained the master, disconnected the hose and rerouted it behind the fork. The upside being that it was time to change the fluid, and bleeding it afterwords was easier than I expected.

Brake hose:

It was almost long enough. Unfortunately, it became too tight before reaching full left lock. This line is fairly short and links the master to a junction block on the frame. Unlike the clutch hose it was free and removing the top plate (Honda-speak for the upper triple clamp) allowed me to route it behind the fork tube gaining sufficient slack. Note: I disconnected the ignition switch cable to allow the top plate to clear the fork tube.

Switches / levers: The supplied AN1 handlebar was predrilled for the switches. The clutch lever needs to be postponed carefully lest it interfere with the switch housing or the banjo bolt with the fork tube.

Bar end-weights: This is the only thing I have yet to sort out.

Clearance: The master cylinders contact the windscreen trim at full lock but still allow me to lock the ignition at either side.

DfD24356

DfD24357

DfD24358

DfD24359

I bought an SV650S with the LSL kit on it. I really liked it. I just got a 2000 VFR800 and I'm thinking about making the change to either the LSL or just doing the conversion with a set of risers.

Let us know how you like it.

• Member Contributer

A very very very nice 6th Gen!!!

Would almost make me sell my redslut.......

(almost :goofy: )

• Member Contributer

I've ridden the bike less than 100 km since the conversion, and very little of that at highway speed. Still, it offers me (~6 ft / 1.8 m, and a little too thick around the middle) a more upright posture.

This summer, I'll find out how well they suit me on my ride to the WSB event at Laguna Seca. At ~5000km round trip, the hours and hours at highway speed will give me plenty of time to regret my decision - or not.

Dutchy, you'd definitely miss the smoother throttle response, and the Vtec might be mildly annoying at times. Otherwise the 6th gen is at least as good a motorcycle - imnsho ;-P

• Member Contributer

Do you find the new riding position a big improvement?

I will let you try my new Apex bars soon Saoirse. Gotta keep me supplied in coffee though or a nice leg of lamb. :wink:

• Member Contributer

LSL's look brilliant, but the bars they offer seem so wide, which to me would neutralize the gain of the lift and placement. Be really interested to hear how you like the setup. They look like great kit! (The nice thing is you could fit any bar you wanted which is pretty cool. )

Dave.

I'd like to hear as well what you think after some saddle time. I have Helibars but would still like a more upright seating position. (I'm getting old)

Well I guess I may chime in here too....

After spending a good bit of time with my LSL bars, I have absolutely no regrets installing mine. Last good ride I had on mine up in the mountains, they were great for all day riding. For the way I ride, I would not go back to the stock bars.

Lorne... As far as clearance issues, I had no contact on mine. Its close but nothing hits anywhere on mine. Now If I changed the position of anything on my set up then I would have contact.

Archived