12V Power For Gps

iMotoPilot

• Member Contributer

I used the license plate light to trigger a relay to power an aux fuse box. Once you start adding GPS for tour gear there is so much else to add on!

med_gallery_2144_2760_365377.jpg

Have to have switched power....especially if you have CRS syndrome.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1178549.jpg

• Member Contributer

License plate light here too. I use it as the "switched" outlet on my PDM60.

• Member Contributer

For the 5th gen, the best tap is the radiator fan circuit, because the live terminals are directly below the left side dash panel, where you can mount a 12v-2-USB power outlet & then use a short wire to the GPS unit ! Its a 10amp circuit that is normally off, but live with the ignition on. IIRC my mearsurements a couple of years back showed a peak startup load of 8amps for the fan, dropping to 4-5amps once running, so there is circa 2amp spare capacity there.

• Member Contributer

Of course! About 50% of the time on tour I carry a Surface Pro (with Mapsource for GPS routing changes) but in the back with even more crap :goofy:. It kind of depends on the availability of Wifi though?? ​

All those farkles are must haves for touring except the RD on my KLR!!!! Big fan of GPS though for touring so that would be the last to go and it was the first doodad added back in 2007.

med_gallery_2144_2760_263319.jpg

Archived