Painting Stock Exhaust Heat Shield?

swimmer

• Member Contributer

Thinking about putting the stock exhaust back on my VFR. Main reason is the Arrow that is on it is getting louder and repacking seems troublesome and I don't feel like replacing the exhaust with another aftermarket one every 18 months since these only seem to last about 20k miles. The chrome heat shield on the stock exhaust offends me visually but would be tolerable if painted or finished in a dark shade. Has anyone done such a thing?

• Member Contributer

Not much will stick to chrome - except rust.............. you will need to sandblast it or have it stripped. Check you tube, there may be a way to etch it. I used EZ-Off oven cleaner to remove the anodize from my 3rd gen frame so I could polish it - the anodize is really hard to sand through!

It's really a plus that paint doesn't stick very well to chrome. Just wash with with dishwashing liquid and dry. Shoot a couple coats of your favorite header paint or even engine block paint that comes in a bigger variety of colors. If you don't like the color or just get tired, it's easy to remove. That chrome muffler piece comes off so there's no masking.

It's really a plus that paint doesn't stick very well to chrome. Just wash with with dishwashing liquid and dry. Shoot a couple coats of your favorite header paint or even engine block paint that comes in a bigger variety of colors. If you don't like the color or just get tired, it's easy to remove. That chrome muffler piece comes off so there's no masking.

or just ride it in the ran

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a minor point, but that heat shield is stainless steel and doesn't in fact get very hot. I've seen one covered with vinyl wrap and no problems with heat. So it can't get very hot. Which means you could use just about any paint.

• Member Contributer
On 10/21/2017 at 12:11 PM, andy said:

Meloman, thanks for the picture.  Like the looks.  I’m going to paint mine and put it back on.

What's your time frame for doing this? Would be interested in the results, what paint you used, etc...

Archived