Is It Irresponsible To Ride A Motorcycle As A Parent?

He'll no, shit ya have ta live life....could be taken out by some teenager texting or crossing the street....FULL TILT BOOGIE BRO.

Could get hurt worse in the dirt...if ya love it do it.....I definitely need my therapy riding or lifes just not fulfilling.

Just my opinion of course

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

It's no worse than having kids and working high risk jobs like firefighting, police, coal miner, logger, steel worker, soldier etc. We choose these jobs. They aren't forced on us any more than our bikes. The general public doesn't ridicule us about our jobs, but our spouses sometimes do.

• Member Contributer

I have life insurance. Also, I bought a VFR over an R1. .

I have both, and both make the same RWHP more or less. The bike underneath you matters not, it's all about the idiot behind the bars in the saddle, and the space between his or her ears. R1, VFR, 1299, S1000RR, matters very little between them. You can either control yourself or you can't, end of story. The R1 is actually more maneuverable and more agile, because it's lighter. So in many ways the R1 is a safer bike than the VFR.

As far as the OP. I think you'll find that the lifeless zombies will poo-poo anything they don't do. I'd rather eat a bullet than live my life the way they do. They get a vanilla car, like a corolla or some crossover SUV or CUV (just an example), watch tv progs every night, and the most exciting thing they do all week is go to Sam's or Costco, maybe the mall, or take their kids to chuck e cheeses. These people usually don't have any kind of hobbies outside of mowing their grass or planting ish in their mulch, They have no passions in life whatsoever. They are the herd, the sheep, however you want to put it. You are only here once and nobody gets out of this deal alive. So with that in mind they'll spend their life watching progs, commuting to their job, and going to the local TGIF's with a coupon. Is that how you want to live?

If you are really into something, like motorcycling, there will always be people around you that try to talk you out of it. Same goes for religion, anything you personally believe that they don't. The more you are into it the more they'll try to talk you out of it. In this case using your kids as the case. Reality is that if you are a motorcyclist, and you are trained (MSF, trackdays, etc) you are probably a better than average driver with better reaction times.

I am pleased but take no responsibility.

My son in law rides, and my 3 grandsons will all at least have the chance to learn while young.

I take no credit, they live 1500 miles away. But I am glad for them. :beer:

I have life insurance. Also, I bought a VFR over an R1. .

I have both, and both make the same RWHP more or less. The bike underneath you matters not, it's all about the idiot behind the bars in the saddle, and the space between his or her ears. R1, VFR, 1299, S1000RR, matters very little between them. You can either control yourself or you can't, end of story. The R1 is actually more maneuverable and more agile, because it's lighter. So in many ways the R1 is a safer bike than the VFR.

An R1 makes around 80% more power at the rear wheel, but that was more a personal situation. It's easier to behave with 100 hp. I'm more mature and cop-fearing than I used to be, but I still don't think I can be trusted with 180 hp.

Life and death are just part of it...

It is those who crash and live then are disabled for the rest of their lives.

I think that is worse than dying.

Your wife now has to wipe your butt for the rest of your life or until the divorce.

Kids grow up without you participating in their lives, then move away and never to be seen again.

Personally I don't care...

Learn from your parents mistakes. Use protection.

• Member Contributer

Its a legitimate question ,and the only right answer is the one you work out for yourself. If it is , then I crossed the line twice when I bought my son his fifth gen last year. But I have to tell you , the experiences had touring with my ever aging son ( now 23), are priceless to me. My plan is to use ridding as " our" thing for years to come. I even think he will thank me one day, especially as his life becomes as complicated as mine,but that may be a pipe dream on my part, who knows......;)

While I do not have kids yet, only 25. I agree with those that say it is a case to case decision. My brother who has a 3 year old hasn't stopped riding since he started about 5 years ago. I have no plans to stop riding when I have kids. I work on boats that support oil rigs and am a volunteer firefighter when I am home. Riding a motorcycle is just another thing I do. Only irresponsible way when it comes to being a parent would be putting your pregnant wife/girlfriend on the back of your motorcycle.

• Member Contributer

I took a hiatus from riding when the kids were young and looking back i regret doing it. I think the best example you can give your kids is to show them you can enjoy life doing the things that make you happy and if the kids join you in that activity thats the best experience you can imagine.Most thing enjoyable in life come with some risk, I would rather die doing something i love than laying on the couch doing nothing.

• Member Contributer

my dad says i was literally a full time passenger on the back of his harley when i was 6 months old. :cool:

at the of 18 months , my dad was doing 90 trying to pass a dumbass slowpoke who was starting to jamm traffic .. he was startled when he remembered i was on the back. so he looked in the mirror at me.. " you were wearing an eagles football helmet , laughing and waving at everyone.. so i gunned it and left them all in the dust! "

he let my sister control the the throttle on his virago 920 when she was 7..and she maxed it out..

this may explain why my sister and i wish warp speed was REAL!! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

As I write this I am sitting in a rehab hospital recovering from brain surgery due to an infection and hoping to get to recover some of the use of my left side. We don’t, and will probably never know for sure the source of the infection. This is just one of life’s unlucky breaks. If you want to be a responsible parent and spouse, carry enough life insurance, health insurance and disability insurance to provide for your family. No one gets out of here alive. I think trying to predict whether it will be a motorcycle accident, drunk driver, freak accident, or an unexpected illness that takes you out is a distraction.

Never miss a chance to say “I love you” hug your kids and do the things you love.

• Member Contributer

As I write this I am sitting in a rehab hospital recovering from brain surgery due to an infection and hoping to get to recover some of the use of my left side. We don’t, and will probably never know for sure the source of the infection. This is just one of life’s unlucky breaks. If you want to be a responsible parent and spouse, carry enough life insurance, health insurance and disability insurance to provide for your family. No one gets out of here alive. I think trying to predict whether it will be a motorcycle accident, drunk driver, freak accident, or an unexpected illness that takes you out is a distraction.

Never miss a chance to say “I love you” hug your kids and do the things you love.

Hey Joneill, your post is coming from the horses mouth. Very well said. Especially the last sentence.

I hope that things work out well for you and get back to your ol' self. I'm thing about you and your family and sending my best vibes your way.

• Member Contributer

First you are BORN, in the end you DIE. What you do between these events are what matters. Live life to the full, enjoy it, including kids & family, but don't compromise your soul or you will regret it or blame others for your loss.

There are many ways to die in this world, riding a bike can be one of them, but how would you feel, whilst dying of a medical condition & thinking shit I gave up something I loved & died anyway. I've had a couple of serious bike accidents where I could have died, none of them my fault & I never thought at any point, I should have given this up, or I will give it up if I survive. Well I'm still here & still riding, I'd rather die doing what I love rather than in some bus crash or motoway pile up in a car, which is just as likely !

As always YMMV :)

Joneill, first off, hope you make a speedy recovery. ...couldn't repeat what you said any better after loosing Father, Sister and Son with epilepsy, ALWAYS TELL YOUR FAMILY YOU LOVE THEM. ....live life, and have plenty of both insurances.

• Member Contributer

First you are BORN, in the end you DIE. What you do between these events are what matters. Live life to the full, enjoy it, including kids & family, but don't compromise your soul or you will regret it or blame others for your loss.

There are many ways to die in this world, riding a bike can be one of them, but how would you feel, whilst dying of a medical condition & thinking shit I gave up something I loved & died anyway. I've had a couple of serious bike accidents where I could have died, none of them my fault & I never thought at any point, I should have given this up, or I will give it up if I survive. Well I'm still here & still riding, I'd rather die doing what I love rather than in some bus crash or motoway pile up in a car, which is just as likely !

As always YMMV :)

There are many ways to LIVE in this world, riding a bike can be one of them...

grammar correction!! :wink:

Joneill, first off, hope you make a speedy recovery. ...couldn't repeat what you said any better after loosing Father, Sister and Son with epilepsy, ALWAYS TELL YOUR FAMILY YOU LOVE THEM. ....live life, and have plenty of both insurances.

nothing more frustrating in this world than losing loved ones to medical problems, duccmann thanks for sharing & may the rest of your family live long life's.

First wife said yes and wouldn't let me ride... so that didn't last long... The sequel on the other hand doesn't seem to mind. I just carry enough life insurance to pay off our outstanding debt and know that if I were to die, my kids will be calling some other dipshit 'Dad'.

Life is short, do what makes you happy.

No.

As a parent it is irresponsible NOT to persue what makes you happy, whole and balanced.

If you don't, how can you be the best parent that transfers wisdom and lust for life to your child?

If our son can learn only one thing from me then that would be "be your own man that make his own choices in life"

Fuckin-ay!!!!

This. A thousand times, THIS! ^^^^^^^^

I'm a son, brother, and parent of two boys. I haven't read through all the replies here, but this post I quoted stopped me in my tracks. I don't consider myself the best parent in the world, the best husband in the world, nor the best son in the world. But what I'm very good at, is letting my children and wife be who they are, whoever, and whatever that is.

Those that follow me on Facebook will probably agree, that I'm goofy, obnoxious, a little self centered but I'm fun. I try to be as carefree as possible and I pass that down to my sons. My kids aren't daredevils, don't ride motorcycles yet, nor do much that'd be considered super dangerous at their young age. However, I do stupid shit all the time. I've done stupid stuff since being a kid, and I did with the permission of my parents when I was young. And sometimes (mostly) without their permission. It's made me who I am today.

Anything can hurt or kill you, we know this. That trip to the zoo? Yep. That school bus ride? Sure. A wild pitch to the head, in little league baseball? Happens all the time. I will allow my kids to do dangerous things as safely as possible, if that makes sense. I practice what I preach. That's one way I try not to suck as a parent.

Irresponsible to ride? No. It'd be irresponsible to not teach your children how to live.

Have fun, folks. You get one shot at this life.

• Member Contributer

When my son was born, I still had a need to go fast everywhere, especially with the group of long time friends. After a rather spirited ride home I realized that behavior like that really is irresponsible. It's not about having life insurance or not, it's about being around to pass on your morals, insights, wisdom, etc. The master plan has us bringing life into the world and the second they enter, all priorities are shifted to them and their needs to grow up and continue the cycle. Should we live in a cave and take zero risks and have no fun for ourselves? Certainly not but all our decisions should have leading them to adulthood as first priority.

The next night out with the guys, I cut out a picture of my son and taped it over the Tach. Him staring back at me grounded me and was a huge reminder that he is more important than any awesome blind sweeper or triple digit play time. Now, the guys all have kids of their own, some have sold their bikes, the rest have naturally slowed way down. The likely hood of the Grim Reaper crossing the center line and ending it all is still quite present, but I'm no longer waving my arms so he'll see me easier.

Archived