Vtec Valve Adjustment Question

Nelso90

I've got a few pics, just reassembled everything and it looked right, now that it's all torqued down I am doubting whether I am a tooth off or not on the rear camshafts, it looks to me like they might need to both come clockwise one tooth.

Ideas?

post-18182-0-29213500-1458779202.jpg

post-18182-0-70575600-1458779217.jpg

post-18182-0-25791600-1458779233.jpg

EDIT: Man that was a pain. I think I have them aligned. I'll let you guys know how the rest of it goes. Any tips on how to position the cams just right? Hard to account for tension due to the lobes and the effect of the cam chain tensioner.

Finally got around to my front bank lash check. #2 VTEC intake valve is .005". Spec is .008 +/- .003. The shim I have in it now is a 279. If I got a 272 it'd be right at .008 or darn close. Were you in my shoes, would you order it or just run it?

the vtec valves shims are built into the buckets & there are only a limited number of sizes, unlike the normal valves that just use shims which you can buy more or less any size. the vtec bucket/shim also cost a lot more so if within spec don't touch them.

the vtec valves shims are built into the buckets & there are only a limited number of sizes, unlike the normal valves that just use shims which you can buy more or less any size. the vtec bucket/shim also cost a lot more so if within spec don't touch them.

That's what I am leaning towards. I don't mind spending the money on the new shim, but 2 things make me not want to bother.

Generally I've seen intake valves tend to go looser or stay the same, not tighter. Based on the condition of the other valves, I'd wager the valve has been at .005" its entire operational life.

Also, if my understanding is right, the clearance isn't an issue for non VTEC running conditions as the bucket will always be in contact with the cam anyway due to the outer spring tension. The actual lash adjustment only comes into play during VTEC operation (aka .001% of the time).

Let me know if my idea seems legit. This is kind of a new beast for me to tackle lol.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Sort of makes me think who ever said valve lash check on 5th and 6th gen is optional is pretty spot on. I finally adjusted my first two slightly tight valves at 124,000 miles on my 98. 

Archived