'86 Vfr700F Fan Measurements

SamW

• Member Contributer

I bought a custom radiator for my '86VFR700f since I had a low speed low side years ago and managed to ovalize my radiator cap mount, had it just right for 20 years, but I put a new water pump and samco hoses on it and I could not get the cap to seal again, ordered a aftermarket radiator for it, which is nice and almost had all the mounts in the right place, except for the fan mounts across the top. I am measuring my old radiator and just want someone to confirm my measurements before I have the maker change production.

The two across the top - 7 13/16" or 198mm

bottom to top short side - 5" or 127mm

bottom to top long side - 7 3/8" or 187 mm

• Member Contributer

I have one sitting on my shop floor, I can measure when I get home tonite if still needed.

• Member Contributer

Yes, please, I still need to get back to them and they are in Asia, so later this evening is fine.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

198mm inside to inside of upper mounts.

Not sure what you're describing on the other two.

I do get 128mm from bottom of rad to bottom of upper brackets

or about 136.5mm from bottom of rad to center of mount hole (slot really).

Mike.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, the guy asked for measurements from the bottom mount to the side mounts, triangle shape for the bottom measurements.

198mm is what I got so I think we are good.

post-21910-0-22539200-1458781471.jpg

post-21910-0-28924300-1458781497.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yes, Except for the fan mount (and guard mount), it looks good.

• Member Contributer

I wonder if the 88-89 VFRs radiators and fans were changed from the 86-87 configuration and that's where they got the dimensions?

• Member Contributer

Could be, had not thought of that. They suggested I take it to a local shop to have the tabs moved. I will give that a shot next week, then I can let you know what I think about it.

• Member Contributer

I just posted on Honda VFR Club (U.K. based site) and asked if someone could measure the mounts for an 88-89 radiator or fan.

• Member Contributer

Cool, thanks! I guess if you are right, I could just get an '88/'89 fan and use it and not have to mod this radiator, I hold off on taking it to the shop for now.

• Member Contributer

Yep. Plus, one of these radiators might be in my future, so whatever we can figure out now will help save a headache later.

Keep you posted.

• Member Contributer

Heard back. While nobody actually put a tape to a radiator, it was confirmed that it is the same fan shroud for all 4 years.

• Member Contributer

OK, thanks! Off to the welding shop next week then.

If you end up ordering from Winner, just make sure they get the fan mounts right, I will let you know how I like it once I get to use it.

Archived