Is A Canadian Vfr Ca-Legal?

• Member Contributer

Hello,

I'm Lance, a newbie on VFRD. I have owned a new 1998 VFR, and a delightful 1994 VFR. I now realize both bikes were deep in the "Never shoulda sold that bike" category.

I would appreciate advice from an experienced VFRDer: on which forum and where in it should I post the following question:

Original situation:

I am now shopping for another VFR and have found a nice 2003 in California, but the seller says it is a Canadian motorcycle. He states that he "turned in the documentation when he started the process" [The documentation process]. But the motorcycle has no registration.

Before I bother trying to determine whether he is honest, a thief, or a fence, here is my question:

"Is a VRF that was originally sold in Canada legal in California?" i.e. does it have the EPA sticker under the fuel tank like VFRs of US-origin?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Lance

• Forum CEO

As far as I know all the nessiary equipment is there on a stock Canadian vfr that is required in California. The paperwork on the other hand.

As far as I know all the nessiary equipment is there on a stock Canadian vfr that is required in California. The paperwork on the other hand.

An out of state bike needs to have 7500 miles to get titled here, iirc.

But this is out of country too. I'd guess you're maybe OK, it's Canada, eh. They're cool. :biggrin:

But check the California DMV web site for starters.

• Member Contributer

On the - no registration - side of the question, I have had questions about a vehicle I was considering purchasing that came with a similar story. The LAST thing I want is to lose my money to a thief when I go to register it and it gets confiscated as a stolen vehicle. I took a quick pic of the VIN and just asked a local cop if he could run the VIN for me to double check the status. He was more than happy to help me out + it gave him the chance to possibly recover a stolen vehicle.

A+ to my local L.E.O.s!

• Member Contributer

The VIN sticker on the frame will tell you for sure if it is a Canadian model.

They are bilingual in English and French and the weights are metric, measured in kilograms.

Not sure about the EPA sticker

post-13146-0-29054700-1458609667.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lance, I believe strongly Canadian VFR's are the equivalent of the 49 state models. Be really careful here. CA has distinct models and I do not believe Canada matches up with them. It's not ALL about the differences in the models when you try to register it. It's all about ensuring bureaucratically it can pass the state or province registration laws. Be really careful as registration issues are huge.

Dave. :-)

• Member Contributer

Thank you very much Dave, hotshoerob, mailman, VFR4Lee, and HispanicSlammer.

Sounds like I'd best not proceed unless he sends me a pic of the VIN badge - I'll check it w the law. I'll also place calls to American Honda and Honda Canada to check on the EPA and DOT placards.

I didn't realize VFRs came in 48 state and 2 state versions - good to know (which is the other picky emissions state besides CA?).

Cheers all.

My bad on the 48 state mistake - still getting used to reading glasses.

From the California DMV website:

What Do I Need for an Out-of-Country Vehicle?

For an out-of-country vehicle, first contact the following agencies for customs, safety, and emissions compliance requirements:

• U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
  • U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
  • California Air Resources Board.

If the vehicle is determined to be eligible for registration, documents from these agencies and normal nonresident requirements are required.

When Do I Have to Pay Fees to Register My Nonresident Vehicle?

Registration fees for your nonresident vehicle must be paid to DMV within 20 days of the date they become due. The date that registration fees become due varies. For date fees due, residency, and exemption information, see the How To: Determine Residency/When Are Fees Due on an Out-of-State Vehicles (HTVR 33) brochure.

Note: To avoid penalties, submit your registration application and fees on time, even if you do not have all the requirements (title, smog, etc.) needed to register the vehicle in California.

• Member Contributer

You appear to be dealing with an imported vehicle, but one that has slipped past the EPA and the NHTSA. However, California is probably preventing the bike's registration not because it is illegal in the eyes of the US federal government (it is if it hasn't gone through the importation process), but simply because its computers are set up to reject any non-CA or non-US VINs--and a Canadian bike would have a different VIN. In theory, the DMV could allow the bike to be registered, but California does have a reputation to uphold (as the most difficult state in which to get "grey import" bikes street registered.

The big clue here is that the seller has apparently given up on getting the bike registered. It may be possible to get it registered in an "easy" state, and then force California to give "full faith and credit" to the DMV of that other state and recognise that state's registration and title, but that kind of hassle is probably something you don't want.

Ciao,

Archived