Lane Splitting Petition In All 50 United States

• Member Contributer

I'm surprised at the US riders who are butt hurt about even the OPTION of lane splitting. I live in Oregon, and we can't lane share/split. We've tried to pass laws to allow us this option, but it was voted down by our legislature. Having lived 35 years in California, mostly driving a car, I can tell you lane splitting works. Proven to work also in the majority of civilized societies world wide. If something like this were to happen in the US, a year long blitz of public education and law enforcement should help to make it work. Don't we all wear seat belts in our cars nowadays? I can remember when there was pushback against that idea! ("You'll be trapped in your car!). Lane splitting/sharing/filtering is the future and I'll keep pushing for it, because it is the right, safe, thing to do.

• Member Contributer

You may gather that I'm the keenest advocate for lane sharing but I
won't sign any petition for the simple reason we in California enjoy
this privilege is because no law exist against it and the masses
aren't too wise about it... in my opinion we risk killing the very
thing we love by any petition making people more aware of it... the
President can not defend lane splitting... he may say yes I understand
they do that out in California but must add that it looks too
dangerous... he's right because to the masses lane splitters look like
so many Stunters run a muck... imagine me in front of the news
camera's extolling the virtues of lane sharing and that my fellow
motorcyclist believe it can be done safely and the split screen shows
a rider weaving the line in close calls or a Stunter hoisting a
wheelie past a cagers mirror... face the fact that no one in authority
is going to give motorcyclist permission to lane split... so if you
enjoy lane splitting then pipe down and enjoy it... stop the
crusade... let the CHP handle up coming anti lane splitting laws or
I'm afraid we will all go back to being stuck in traffic like
cagers...

• Member Contributer

I love the uneducated muppet American take on filtering. "Dangerous". "3 cars".

What a bunch of fucking bams.

Someone give me a Zip code and I'l sign this. Get ahead, filtering is safe, fact.

Good grief, what is the point you're trying to make? "uneducated muppet Americans", "bunch of fucking bams". Then in your next post you said you hate cyclists because of the type of clothing they might wear. That's exactly the kind of intolerant mentality that would make filtering hard to implement in the US.

:fing02:

I think John's been on the sauce. St. Patrick's day was, well, recently, you know!

Ciao,

Cyclists are not at all welcomed in the UK, the road rage they cause is beyond compare. It's probably because the majority here are absolute spastics, head to toe in lycra to cycle 3 miles into town. Go to Denmark and you have women cycling in high heels and managing to stay the fuck out of everyone's way. Why the UK has to be so full of self entitled lycra queers is beyond me.

That's not strictly true. Yes, cyclists are a problem in cities and large towns and many display a terrible attitude to other road users and pedestrians. But it's not right to say "cyclists are not at all welcomein the UK". Cycling has gained massive popularity here in recent years and outside of the busy cities / towns cyclists generally rub along OK with the rest of us.

I could show you three trillion videos of cyclists getting on peoples tits in a heartbeat. The majority of road users despise them, as a rule, the bulk of them are absolute gobshites. You know it, I know it. There's no point in playing devils advocate,

I had a run in with one yesterday, taking a right onto London bridge, he decides one lane isn't enough for him and moves into me...mid lean...on the effin 1200...with cold tyres AND screams at me to give him more room. He then proceeded to slam his brakes on in front of me. I ran his bike over and totalled his back wheel. He knew he had nothing to gain from there so just gave me a dirty look and pulled his bike off the road. Another lycra cunt, albeit this time...with a badly bent back wheel.

Cyclists are not at all welcomed in the UK, the road rage they cause is beyond compare. It's probably because the majority here are absolute spastics, head to toe in lycra to cycle 3 miles into town. Go to Denmark and you have women cycling in high heels and managing to stay the fuck out of everyone's way. Why the UK has to be so full of self entitled lycra queers is beyond me.

Anyway...someone gimme a zip code...

Thanks for the chuckles this AM. Pick a city: http://www.geonames.org/postal-codes/postal-codes-us.html

Thanks chap. Signed!

A wonderfully compelling argument...you must be right then!

Well, it's a factual example of one of many close calls (in this instance, an actual collision caused by the cyclist) I've had while riding in London, for years. I've seen more breath taking stupid shit done by whoppers in lycra than any yobbo in a white van, bus, lorry or car. There's a self righteous attitude that goes with donning day glo budgie smugglers and a tour de france cap. The irony of whining about lack of space and then seeing the very same people squeeze between two moving buses is headache inducing levels of stupidity.

The old dear I saw get ploughed down by a courier while crossing the road while it was her right of way on old Kent road was the worst, two guys shouted at him and he turned around and gave them the finger, she was about 80 years old and he had the audacity to do that. It still boils my piss to think about it.

I know any other road user can be just as twattish. But at least they're identifiable and able to be punished when doing stupid shit like jumping red lights/knocking people over/other idiot things.

I love the uneducated muppet American take on filtering. "Dangerous". "3 cars".

What a bunch of fucking bams.

Someone give me a Zip code and I'l sign this. Get ahead, filtering is safe, fact.

Good grief, what is the point you're trying to make? "uneducated muppet Americans", "bunch of fucking bams". Then in your next post you said you hate cyclists because of the type of clothing they might wear. That's exactly the kind of intolerant mentality that would make filtering hard to implement in the US.

:fing02:

I honestly don't see how you can miss the incredibly simple point of that reply. To NOT want to filter, call it dangerous and assume it doesn't allow much more progress than overtaking simply 3 cars is fucking retarded. End of story.

there's a reason why it's illegal here....people would die here in NJ/NY, both from lane changers who don't look and road rage........you can pass all of the laws you want, i'll never do it......way too dangerous

+1^

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Heading to the Sierras on a Friday afternoon. And yes so happy to split, actually move and not be rearended. Erik Estrada is up there a few bikes too. Note how folks mostly do move over to give you some room. I don't think the drivers in California are any better or worse than anywhere else.

med_gallery_2144_2760_144666.jpg

• Member Contributer

What I've always found bizarre is the notion, often expressed by motorcyclists (as here) as well as cagers, that legal lane splitting in the 49 states would necessarily generate otherwise insignificant "road rage" against motorcyclists. I'm sure there would be some, but a few well-publicised murder trials would probably dampen that particular irrational impulse. however, if you live in a state with an abnormally high proportion of stupid and homicidal people, you might want to avoid lane splitting for the first few years!

Ciao,

Lane filtering became legal here not long ago. Allowed to filter to the front of traffic in slow moving or stopped traffic. Under 30kph. So you can keep moving through freeway gridlock.

A few other rules as well, but one of the few times I thought it was a well written piece of legislation.

Just before it became legal, there was a lot of social media ranting of how there'd be blood in the streets, accidents and road rage all the time.

The reality was it was business as usual, except you could filter past cops and not worry about it.

Even cops I spoke to liked it, they could stop pretending not to see it.

That's not strictly true. Yes, cyclists are a problem in cities and large towns and many display a terrible attitude to other road users and pedestrians. But it's not right to say "cyclists are not at all welcomein the UK". Cycling has gained massive popularity here in recent years and outside of the busy cities / towns cyclists generally rub along OK with the rest of us.

I could show you three trillion videos of cyclists getting on peoples tits in a heartbeat. The majority of road users despise them, as a rule, the bulk of them are absolute gobshites. You know it, I know it. There's no point in playing devils advocate,

I had a run in with one yesterday, taking a right onto London bridge, he decides one lane isn't enough for him and moves into me...mid lean...on the effin 1200...with cold tyres AND screams at me to give him more room. He then proceeded to slam his brakes on in front of me. I ran his bike over and totalled his back wheel. He knew he had nothing to gain from there so just gave me a dirty look and pulled his bike off the road. Another lycra cunt, albeit this time...with a badly bent back wheel.

Anyway...someone gimme a zip code...

Thanks for the chuckles this AM. Pick a city: http://www.geonames.org/postal-codes/postal-codes-us.html

Thanks chap. Signed!

I don't know if you're aware? But just outside of London is....the rest of the country ;-)

Anyway, my apologies to the OP, we've gone a little off topic. I'll leave it there.

I think both riders and drivers here need education. There are tons of idiots/squids on bikes as well who would take this to mean they can fly between cars and pass between cars any time they feel like it. A lot of the general public also thinks thay this is what lane splitting is. There are also tons of idiots in lifted trucks and Audis who get offended at the thought of somebody else driving faster than them who would need to learn the chill the f out. If these two can be largely overcome, it could definitely work out.

Lane splitting works for me, living in traffic congested SF Bay Area......

Only thing that ruins lane splitting for me, other than the increasing number of idiots tgat drive their cars like their in "immortal" mode in a video game are "botz dotz"......

Really unpleasant when you have to ride over the bone shaking reflective bumps, while bracketed by vehicles tons heavier than yours.....and many driven by clueless idiots who do not know anything about road courtesy and common sense....

• Member Contributer

I threw these together as a sample of what lane splitting looks like from a rider's POV. One is in the day the other at night, both are of my trip to and from Pasadena from Anaheim (not the entire trip mind you). Although it looks like I'm going really fast, I sped up the video to 175% of the original speed and you'll see that I'm definitely passing more than 3 vehicles! :goofy:

If ya haven't done it you have no experience to even add to this thread. Been doing it now since the early eighties, survival on a bike traveling 75 miles a day is exhausting to say the least, but I sure wouldn't trade it to cage, which I've been doing the last week, think I would go mad if this was the case day in and day out. Big notice of people moving over for me, not doing the brake neck speeds these millennials do passing me at double digits. ..always give them a thank you wave....so its a must here in L.A. or you can be the meat in the sandwich when rear ended by the texting student or blue hair .

• Member Contributer

I love riding in CA! I do lane split as I can up here, they have been trying to pass it....But when those who do not understand and have not done it are in charge there is where the problem is. I agree it is much safer, when I talk to people I tell them to ignore the motorcyclist, just move over and drive, he is not going to hit you! Up here most people are ok with it, but like everywhere there are A-holes who think if they can't move faster you shouldn't be able to. I can only hope this moves forward!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived