Lane Splitting Petition In All 50 United States

• Member Contributer

Can't hurt to add your voice if you agree.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-it-legal-all-motorcyclists-within-united-states-america-split-lanes-httpsgoogl2t2vul

Sorry for posting in multiple areas on this site, but I don't see any other way to get it out there.

• Member Contributer

Cage drivers in North America have a very stange idea of driving when it comes to line ups and congestion. Instead of getting all up tight when bikes smoothly make there way and in most cases do not increase their time,they should consider the alternative a ride two wheels to navigate traffic.

• Member Contributer

A ridiculous concept. How will you stop motorcyclists from being shot? Do you really think people are going to let you get up ahead of them?

All so you can pass three cars on the way to work. Brilliant

Enlightenment and education is required. Read up on it and then get back to us. I'd start with reading the AMA's position on the subject and follow the links they give to studies that establish the facts. You are an AMA member...? EU, Asian and California riders have been doing it for years. It works. It is safer for the motorcyclist. It reduces congestion. Once enlightenment and education occur, no one will get shot, no one will care about a motorcyclist getting ahead, and both the rider and driver will get to work sooner. There are, of course, always going to be exceptions and idiots (riders and drivers) that polarize people and cause uninformed opinions on the subject.

there's a reason why it's illegal here....people would die here in NJ/NY, both from lane changers who don't look and road rage........you can pass all of the laws you want, i'll never do it......way too dangerous

• Member Contributer

I saw a rider doing it today on the freeway in extremely heavy rush hour traffic. It was definitely working for him. I'll admit that I'm too chicken and will leave it to others.

• Member Contributer

THE FACTS

A year-long California study of motorcycle lane-splitting has
concluded the practice is no more dangerous than motorcycling in
general, if the rider is traveling at speeds similar to or only
slightly faster than the surrounding traffic.

The maneuver becomes more dangerous, however, when a motorcyclist is
speeding or riding more than 10 miles per hour faster than the traffic
the cyclist is passing.

Lane-splitting occurs when a motorcyclist passes other vehicles by
riding between them along the lane line. California is the only state
that does not ban the controversial practice, frowned on by many car
drivers who consider it a safety hazard, and applauded by some
motorcyclists who say they consider lane-splitting a safety tool that
allows them to get out of risky situations.

Lane-splitting in California appears to be on the rise. The state
Office of Traffic Safety study found 62 percent of motorcyclists say
they lane-split on both freeways and other roads, a 7.5 increase over
2013. Seventy-five percent of riders between the ages of 18 and 24
report they lane-split on all roads, including freeways. Notably, the
survey found that motorcyclists were splitting lanes at slightly
slower speeds and in slightly slower traffic than the year before.
Related Stories Back-seat Driver: Motorcycle lane-splitters are
slowing down Related Links California Lane Splitting Habits

THE LAW

Quote California DMV Handbook on lane splitting...

Lane Splitting

The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering,
or white-lining refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between
lanes of stopped or slower-moving traffic or moving between lanes to
the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light. Lane splitting should
not be performed by inexperienced riders. When choosing to lane split,
skilled motorcycle riders should consider the following:

Traffic flow – Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 mph
faster than other traffic; danger increases at higher speed
differentials. Lane splitting is not advised when traffic flow is
at 30 mph or faster; danger increases as overall speed increases.

Traffic lanes – Lane splitting is encouraged to be done between
the #1 and #2 lanes; typically, it is safer to lane split in these
lanes than between other lanes.

Environment – The total environment should be considered,
including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles,
the roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.

Hazards – Riders should anticipate possible movements by other
road users and be alert at all times.

CHP MESSAGE FOR DRIVERS

1) Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when
done in a safe and prudent manner.

2) Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage
motorcyclists from lane splitting.

3) Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that
could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).

4) Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC
22517).

5) Never drive while distracted.

6) You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by
Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or
turning

Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with
traffic

Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a
motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in
an emergency

PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

I've been splitting for 37 years and I've seen the worst and the best during lane splitting...

Worst...

It happened on Coast Race Way 1 in a congested double lane section
near Monterrey.. I was spotted lane splitting by a truck driver who
objected to my forward progress... in protest he snorted up a big
bomber and fired a dumb bell shape loogie at my path... it was
beautiful as the wad tumbled and arched through the air... fortunately
he aim was off as it sailed over my head landing with a thud on to a
ladies windshield... she just couldn't hit the windshield wipers fast
enough but all it did was smear and streak in the hot sun...

Best
1. Filtering pass a van load of male and female College students having a party
cruising in the middle of slow moving traffic... they offered me a can of beer and

even invited me to get off the bike and climb in...

2. When splitting cars cruising a strip in Canada a heavy object lands
on my bikes passenger seat... I turned and found a girl had jumped
from a car onto my seat... she wanted a ride on a motorcycle... I had
to turn her down... she was only wearing a bathing...

JAPAN LEARNING EXPERIENCES

Japan is were I learned to lane split... it wasn't an option... the
Japanese government actively encourages riders to split lanes rather
than claiming a lane... it seemed crazy but it worked... mercy it was
tight at times... but it made lane splitting back in California seem
like baby poop...

Accidents are rare but I had one close call while navigating in the
perverted traffic of Tokyo... it happen at speed as I inched forward
between an Isuzu and Hino dual wheel cargo trucks... the space between
them gradually narrows to nothing... then clank... my Z400FX Kawasaki
handle bars were captured against the sides of both trucks in perfect
formation... so there I was sitting on my bike unable to steer because
my handle bars were stuck on the trucks... well I figured it was time
to jettison the whole mess... so I grabbed the cattle guards on the
Hino and proceeded to climb aboard... as my weight wiggles the Hino
the driver "Pops" (all Japanese truck drivers are called Pops) looks
in his rear view mirror... he gives me that look like where did you
come from... then he sees the Kawasaki appendage to his Hino and so he
veers left... now my poor Kawasaki is free but riderless and all I
could think about was getting back in the saddle and saving it... so I
made a leap for the bars Rodeo style... and to my surprised I made it
but the front wheel shimmies about violently... I didn't wait for
words... I rolled on the gas and make the first exit... I parked at a
noodle shop to take it all in... I was hungry but a wreck... my hands
and knees shook uncontrollably slurping hot noodles... I shall never
forget it...

Lane splitting in Japan on my Z400FX Kawasaki
post-3131-0-64975200-1458361865.jpg

My School Bus yellow wheel Z400FX with modified

RS250 Honda fairing and tail cowl and sporting a

hand made Moriwaki 4 into1

post-3131-0-98172000-1458361985.jpg

• Member Contributer

Been doing it for decades, the first time was like anything new, very scary at first but now it's like nothing at all, second nature for me now. Just like you should be doing anyway, keeping your head on a swivel and paying attention to everything around you helps keep you prepared for the occasional last minute lane jumper or inattentive driver. I've had a few close calls but I've also had a few while riding normal within my lane.

• Member Contributer

A ridiculous concept. How will you stop motorcyclists from being shot? Do you really think people are going to let you get up ahead of them?

The Hurt Report, the most comprehensive motorcycle crash causation

study to date, noted that, “Moderate or heavy traffic was the

situation at 59.2% of the accidents [studied].” Reducing a

motorcyclist’s exposure to vehicles that are frequently accelerating

and decelerating on congested roadways can be one way to reduce front-

and rear-end collisions for those most vulnerable in traffic. Lane

Splitting research and evidence suggest that lane splitting may reduce

a motorcyclist’s risk exposure to front and rear collisions... No one

was shot getting ahead splitting during the study...

• Member Contributer

Three cars. LOL...

Ciao,

Three cars. LOL...

Ciao,

Yep. "You're doing it wrong" :wink:

Aussies pretty much all do it, and it's just been legalised in a number of states (but only legal if traffic is moving under 30km/h). 98% of drivers aren't really bothered by it. You quickly learn to spot the ones who are, but it's rarely an issue.

Ok, that was a little grim for sure, but I truly believe it would be contrary to the very core of the American psyche. A large proportion of the population would never allow anyone to fuck with their God given right to be ahead of you and stay ahead of you. CA is completly different than everywhere else as far as attitude, and the large number of motos means it actually can reduce congestion.
Of course it can be done safely but none of the studys take into account the hard core attitudes and intolerance. These can never be changed, at least not in a single generation.
I truly believe the petition results will closely follow the pattern of blue States and red States, tolerance and intolerance in all aspects.
That being said, I think NH would be the most successfull to adopt.

It's interesting to hear that U.S. motorists are generally so vehemently against filtering (lane splitting). Here and on mainland Europe most motorists will make way for a filtering bike and also move over to make your overtake easier on single carriageways. Of course you do get the occasional knob jockey who thinks he's in a race with you but they seem to be getting less frequent, and soon learn what it's like to watch a bike disappearing into the distance, it's only ever a matter of time :-)

For me the biggest issue with filtering is when Mrs. RR2 is on board, she hates it and is very nervous when we're filtering so I have to be very slow and methodical. When I'm solo I'm a bit more free but I'm not one of those caution to the wind types that will filter through fast moving traffic on motorways or filter 40mph faster than the traffic flow. For me making progress is good but taking crazy risks is just....crazy!

• Member Contributer

California is no different than anywhere else in the US as far as driving. We have the full variety of roads to deal with and also the full variety of motorist attitudes. What does make Cali different is we have had splitting/filtering for decades. Years ago, there was the same resentment and opposition expressed by drivers. In time, enlightenment and education happened. It started off grass roots, then came full on quasi-endorsements from the likes of the CHP. And it is backed by research. It is now very much accepted and accommodated. My point is, it will be no different for any other state in the Union. It takes time. But it must start somewhere. The OP was considerate enough to post a link to help start the process. I think we should all do our fellow riders in other states a favor and sign the petition, and generally advocate for acceptance nation wide. Whether you choose to engage in the practice or not should not be a reason to deny others the opportunity.

I love the uneducated muppet American take on filtering. "Dangerous". "3 cars".

What a bunch of fucking bams.

Someone give me a Zip code and I'l sign this. Get ahead, filtering is safe, fact.

• Member Contributer

I love the idea, and used it a lot when I got the chances to travel in Europe and the UK. And I think, like Marsman99, that all it will take is time and familiarization for it to be accepted. However, that doesn't mean that Jimmy Joe is going to be thrilled to see you filter by him and his big azz truck while he sits there waiting on traffic. Until it is accepted everywhere I'm pretty sure we'll see some incidents of door openings, and shifting vehicles when you try to move past them.

To me it's kind of like bicycles and American drivers. Cyclists and cars seem to get along pretty well overseas, but not so much here, many drivers think that bicyclist belong on the sidewalk with the kids. Part of this lack of cooperation on the roads may be the total lack of training and licensing here, versus the training and licensing that occurs overseas. Here you just need a pulse, and the ability to find the counter at the DMV to get a license.

Cyclists are not at all welcomed in the UK, the road rage they cause is beyond compare. It's probably because the majority here are absolute spastics, head to toe in lycra to cycle 3 miles into town. Go to Denmark and you have women cycling in high heels and managing to stay the fuck out of everyone's way. Why the UK has to be so full of self entitled lycra queers is beyond me.

Anyway...someone gimme a zip code...

• Member Contributer

It's interesting to hear that U.S. motorists are generally so vehemently against filtering (lane splitting). Here and on mainland Europe most motorists will make way for a filtering bike and also move over to make your overtake easier on single carriageways. Of course you do get the occasional knob jockey who thinks he's in a race with you but they seem to be getting less frequent, and soon learn what it's like to watch a bike disappearing into the distance, it's only ever a matter of time :-)

For me the biggest issue with filtering is when Mrs. RR2 is on board, she hates it and is very nervous when we're filtering so I have to be very slow and methodical. When I'm solo I'm a bit more free but I'm not one of those caution to the wind types that will filter through fast moving traffic on motorways or filter 40mph faster than the traffic flow. For me making progress is good but taking crazy risks is just....crazy!

I thought my wife would be scared to split lanes but she hates being stuck in traffic more than the fear of being close to other vehicles! Anytime traffic starts to slow or back up she kind of insist that we lane split and get away from all of the congestion. Can't say I feel any different, I have saved literally hours from my travel time not just from lane splitting but being able to use the car pool lane, which by the is the recommended lane to use here in California.

I have done a good bit of looking into this before. Rideapart did a video on it a while back that's pretty good. I signed, I am always terrified sitting behind a cage at a stop light thinking someone isn't going to stop and crush me between the two cars.

I love the uneducated muppet American take on filtering. "Dangerous". "3 cars".

What a bunch of fucking bams.

Someone give me a Zip code and I'l sign this. Get ahead, filtering is safe, fact.

Good grief, what is the point you're trying to make? "uneducated muppet Americans", "bunch of fucking bams". Then in your next post you said you hate cyclists because of the type of clothing they might wear. That's exactly the kind of intolerant mentality that would make filtering hard to implement in the US.

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Cyclists are not at all welcomed in the UK, the road rage they cause is beyond compare. It's probably because the majority here are absolute spastics, head to toe in lycra to cycle 3 miles into town. Go to Denmark and you have women cycling in high heels and managing to stay the fuck out of everyone's way. Why the UK has to be so full of self entitled lycra queers is beyond me.

Thanks for the chuckles this AM. Pick a city: http://www.geonames.org/postal-codes/postal-codes-us.html

That's not strictly true. Yes, cyclists are a problem in cities and large towns and many display a terrible attitude to other road users and pedestrians. But it's not right to say "cyclists are not at all welcomein the UK". Cycling has gained massive popularity here in recent years and outside of the busy cities / towns cyclists generally rub along OK with the rest of us.

That's not strictly true. Yes, cyclists are a problem in cities and large towns and many display a terrible attitude to other road users and pedestrians. But it's not right to say "cyclists are not at all welcomein the UK". Cycling has gained massive popularity here in recent years and outside of the busy cities / towns cyclists generally rub along OK with the rest of us.

I could show you three trillion videos of cyclists getting on peoples tits in a heartbeat. The majority of road users despise them, as a rule, the bulk of them are absolute gobshites. You know it, I know it. There's no point in playing devils advocate,

I had a run in with one yesterday, taking a right onto London bridge, he decides one lane isn't enough for him and moves into me...mid lean...on the effin 1200...with cold tyres AND screams at me to give him more room. He then proceeded to slam his brakes on in front of me. I ran his bike over and totalled his back wheel. He knew he had nothing to gain from there so just gave me a dirty look and pulled his bike off the road. Another lycra cunt, albeit this time...with a badly bent back wheel.

Thanks for the chuckles this AM. Pick a city: http://www.geonames.org/postal-codes/postal-codes-us.html

Thanks chap. Signed!

I could show you three trillion videos of cyclists getting on peoples tits in a heartbeat. The majority of road users despise them, as a rule, the bulk of them are absolute gobshites. You know it, I know it. There's no point in playing devils advocate,

I had a run in with one yesterday, taking a right onto London bridge, he decides one lane isn't enough for him and moves into me...mid lean...on the effin 1200...with cold tyres AND screams at me to give him more room. He then proceeded to slam his brakes on in front of me. I ran his bike over and totalled his back wheel. He knew he had nothing to gain from there so just gave me a dirty look and pulled his bike off the road. Another lycra cunt, albeit this time...with a badly bent back wheel.

Thanks chap. Signed!

A wonderfully compelling argument...you must be right then!

For anyone who thinks filtering is unsafe you must not fully understand the concept. Now can it be unsafe when not done properly, for sure. I worked as a police motor officer for a decade riding well over 100,000 miles in the city and I split lanes constantly. (It was legal for us while working) Why would I sit at the back of a line of cars just waiting for the cager on her cell phone to ram into my ass when I could filter to the front. Some filtering was a function of the job but also IMHO it was safer. The worst thing that ever happened was when I was new to the motor I scraped someone's bumper with my crash bar. Now if you are filtering 15-20-30mph faster then traffic is moving, it becomes dangerous. As for the drivers here in the USA, I agree that many would get pissed at motorcyclists filtering because of ignorance. American drivers get pissy when someone passes them, like it is really burning them for some reason. Never understood that mentality, I am all for people just moving along and staying out of my way. With education and a measured approach to allow filtering I think we could ultimately change perceptions but it would take time and a good plan to implement.

Archived