How To Set The *&% Clock!

Bent

• Member Contributer

Scenario: This is ridiculous so bear with me!

Bike in for 600 mile oil change. Ask dealer to set the clock. Like me, they can't figure out how to do it after reading the owner's manual instructions. They call Honda Dealer Support and get it set but don't really know how they did it.

Today, I come in from a nice twisty ride and decide to go ahead and set the clock for daylight savings time since it's about time to do it.

I follow the dealer instructions, and, once again, I can't get the damned clock to hold a set after following dealer instructions and owner's manual instructions.

QUESTION: Can anyone walk me through the clock setting for a 2014 Interceptor?

Please don't question my IQ. It's apparently low. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Oh grasshopper !!

Not exactly. This is the third VFR I've owned and put more than a few miles on.

• Member Contributer

Oh grasshopper !!

Not exactly. This is the third VFR I've owned and put more than a few miles on.

Is it different then the 6th gen ?

• Member Contributer

A little different ...

The eighth gen. is very different than the 5th and 6th gen. clock setting. I realize you're trying to be helpful but what you posted is what my owner's manual states and once the clock is set per instructions, and the ignition turned off, the clock reading shows a 0:00 when the ignition is turned back on.

The 0.00 is not the clock it's some other function I forget. Press and hold button b for 3 or 5 seconds and the clock will be displayed instead of the 0.00. Yes drove me crazy at first!

Yeah its tricky. I think what happens as said is that you accidently scroll through to the other functions. I have to read the book every time at the start and end of DST.

I wish they had put those buttons on the handlebars, it would make accessing the other trip related functions a lot easier while riding.

I had that problem my first day with the bike. That is a trip timer that resets every time you turn the bike off and back on. As was said above, hold the "B" button for a few seconds and you're good.

• Member Contributer

A little different ...

The eighth gen. is very different than the 5th and 6th gen. clock setting. I realize you're trying to be helpful but what you posted is what my owner's manual states and once the clock is set per instructions, and the ignition turned off, the clock reading shows a 0:00 when the ignition is turned back on.

Well when you get to TMAC maybe we can all help ....

I just did mine last night...super easy. Push and hold both buttons, hour will start blinking. push A (left button) to advance hour. Push B (right button) to switch to minutes. Push A to adjust minutes. Push B repeatedly to cycle through the rest of the setup options until you're back to the normal B button options of temp, air, mpg, etc. Make sure nothing is still blinking before turning the key off.

So to recap:

Both buttons gets you into setup, with clock hours being the first thing blinking.

A (left button) makes changes to the item that is blinking.

B (right button) moves through the setup options (makes the next item start blinking).

After the last setup option, B will take you out of setup and back to normal operation.

• Member Contributer

I just did mine last night...super easy. Push and hold both buttons, hour will start blinking. push A (left button) to advance hour. Push B (right button) to switch to minutes. Push A to adjust minutes. Push B repeatedly to cycle through the rest of the setup options until you're back to the normal B button options of temp, air, mpg, etc. Make sure nothing is still blinking before turning the key off.

So to recap:

Both buttons gets you into setup, with clock hours being the first thing blinking.

B (right button) moves through the setup options (makes the next item start blinking).

After the last setup option, B will take you out of setup and back to normal operation.

DriverDave,

I did exactly, to the letter, what your post said to do and the clock still goes back to 0:00 when I try to get out of the set-up as your post said. Looks like the dealer is going to have a challenge with it (again) and me (maybe me, I can be nice) later in the week. This whole thing is rather insanely ridiculous. I do appreciate your trying to help me. :wink:

And for you, Mr. Baileyrock, I will give you four (4) cases of beer, a 22oz. ribeye, a great place to stay, and more lies and laughter about old times if you come to my pad and set this damned clock and show me how. I bet that's the ONE thing you can't do. ^^^^^ is what I would do (minimum) for you if you can come across for me on a children's clock.

Additionally, Kev, thank you for the welcome back.....TRULY. :wink: It's weird riding again after being completely off for five years and the eighth gen. is taking a little getting used to. It's definitely different than the sixth gen. Good in many ways but not as good in other ways. I promise to try to behave here. Key word: try. :goofy:

Damned clock....mutter, mutter....... :491:

The 0.00 is not the clock it's some other function I forget. Press and hold button b for 3 or 5 seconds and the clock will be displayed instead of the 0.00. Yes drove me crazy at first!

So to recap:

DriverDave,

I did exactly, to the letter, what your post said to do and the clock still goes back to 0:00 when I try to get out of the set-up as your post said. Looks like the dealer is going to have a challenge with it (again) and me (maybe me, I can be nice) later in the week. This whole thing is rather insanely ridiculous. I do appreciate your trying to help me. :wink:

And for you, Mr. Baileyrock, I will give you four (4) cases of beer, a 22oz. ribeye, a great place to stay, and more lies and laughter about old times if you come to my pad and set this damned clock and show me how. I bet that's the ONE thing you can't do. ^^^^^ is what I would do (minimum) for you if you can come across for me on a children's clock.

Additionally, Kev, thank you for the welcome back.....TRULY. :wink: It's weird riding again after being completely off for five years and the eighth gen. is taking a little getting used to. It's definitely different than the sixth gen. Good in many ways but not as good in other ways. I promise to try to behave here. Key word: try. :goofy:

Pjcliffo is right. It's on P.26 of the owners manual. That is a trip timer that starts at 0:00 every time you turn on the bike. Just turn the bike on, push and hold the B button until it switches to the clock. You should be good to go after that.

• Member Contributer

So to recap:

DriverDave,

Pjcliffo is right. It's on P.26 of the owners manual. That is a trip timer that starts at 0:00 every time you turn on the bike. Just turn the bike on, push and hold the B button until it switches to the clock. You should be good to go after that.

Thank you Dave. When I get a little more patience, I will do that. I really appreciate your trying to help me. Kevin knows some of my faults. Not being able to ride one speed for more than 25 seconds is one of them...... :cheerleader:

I've been re-setting up computers and printers, etc. this afternoon after a router went out. Just what I wanted to do on a Sunday afternoon, but hey, at least I didn't hit the Armco on the Cherohala. I wouldn't be typing this had that happened. :unsure: Just a little random cautionary note. The Cherohala can be a death trap just as well as the Dragon.

• Member Contributer

The clock saga is over for now. One of the dealer mechanics walked up to the bike and set it in less than a minute after another one of their people worked on it until midnight last night. Not sure if I could replicate it but I'm tired of it and just got back from a quick hundred mile twisty-fest. I'm happy and tired right now. Next problem......

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks, joepopp.  The clock has been set for quite a while now and I don't change it for DST.  I just leave it alone and have enough brains to know how to compensate for when it's not DST.  

The clock is the reason Honda doesn't sell more VFR's.........

I know a guy who could never figure out the radio his used car came with.... he attached the battery cables at noon.  This was before the interwebs and he wasn't supplied with a manual.

On 3/14/2016 at 2:45 AM, DriverDave said:

So to recap:

Agreed... not sure what is so hard about it. This combination appears to be reasonably standard across honda (or at lest some of their bikes). Both buttons to enter menu, right button to move to next option, left button to change the option.

Archived