Moisture Within Dash

MrTeeHee

Has anybody else experienced moisture trapped within the dash? Mine is fine when cold, but an hour or so riding in the sun Ivey moisture build up behind the clear plastic housing :(. If I leave it on the side stand it 'drains' across the screen towards the fuel gauge side of the display. V annoying.

I'd post a photo if I knew how :/

• Member Contributer

Straight back to Honda you should go. Moisture like that will be eating away at any and all electrical connections back there which will lead to big issue in the future.

FSB is right though, wtf have you been seeing the sun? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Has anybody else experienced moisture trapped within the dash? Mine is fine when cold, but an hour or so riding in the sun Ivey moisture build up behind the clear plastic housing :(. If I leave it on the side stand it 'drains' across the screen towards the fuel gauge side of the display. V annoying.

I'd post a photo if I knew how :/

That is an unusual issue. To post a photo, upload them to either your gallery in your profile or a photo sharing site such as Photobucket. When posting, use the icon shaped like a small square (below the smiley face) to copy the link. You should be able to preview the photo before adding your post.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

here in the usa i have seen SOOOOOOOOO many bikes with this issue..

its the result of a bad seal some place. or bad weather on the day it was made..

on MY bike i just pulled the dash out on a nice day and aired it out for a few min as i checked it for rust . then put it back together. presto! :beer:

never came back till i dropped the bike.. :blush2:

• Member Contributer

Hi Mr TeeHee,

got rougly 21000kms, a whole lot of that in the bloody rain, with ( from a distance ) 1 high pressure wash per week ( over a year and a half or so )

and touch wood !! i have not had anything that looks like that ..

back to Honda perhaps, i would ....

good luck .

rob .

• Member Contributer

Hi Mr TeeHee,

got rougly 21000kms, a whole lot of that in the bloody rain, with ( from a distance ) 1 high pressure wash per week ( over a year and a half or so )

and touch wood !! i have not had anything that looks like that ..

back to Honda perhaps, i would ....

good luck .

rob .

Mite be your idling problem ...

Moisture in the dash...

Image (hopefully :?) attached.

Thanks folks. Local Honda dealer reviewed photos (and I took a few) and looking to replace clocks under warranty. Not something i've ever experienced with a Honda... :/

Thanks for the feedback.

Now to go and work out what this orangey thing in the sky is...

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi All.

Went for a short 20k run on the weekend, parked the bike on dew covered grass firm ground. After 1.5hrs came back to the bike and there was condensation within the right hand side of the instrument panel!! Have never had this issue with any previous bike. My two year warranty runs out in August and currently in discussion with local Honda dealership, looks like an instrument cluster replacement, what a bummer, will keep you posted.

Cheers.

Grum.

WP_20160514_2_004.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

Notified today that Honda has approved an instrument panel replacement under warranty. Local dealership has ordered the instrument panel, hopefully by end of next week it will be replaced, wonder if Honda have a way of programming the current odometer reading into the new panel, or do I have a new bike with zero k's????

Cheers.

Grum.

P.S. Hard to believe that MrTeeHee and I are the only ones with this issue!!

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty sure it can be done, but whether it will be done by Honda is somewhat less certain.  The late Dave Roberts (greenVFR) was able to reset odometers on the 5th gens, so it's likely that it can be done on the 8th gen bikes.

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, Shinigami said:

most of these types of systems use an eeprom chip on the board.  I imagine a dealer can easily reprogram the chip on a new board to match the old one.

Would be nice to know if the eeprom chip is mounted in a socket which would make it easily transferable, however, if its surface mounted - forget it, can't seem to get this info from Honda.

I have been informed by Honda today that there is no factory programming of the Odometer, my new panel odometer will be set to zero and shall be issued an official warranty notice stating the previous odometer distance and reason for replacement. Guess that just keeps it all honest, replacement set for some time next week.

Cheers.

Grum. 

• Member Contributer

Instrument Panel replaced today. Zero K's on the odometer. Anyone want a cheap VFR brand new with zero K's ?????

Time will tell if I ever see those water droplets again.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, vtwindr said:

I guess you'll need to run it in again :unsure:

Ha Ha like that one Vtwindr. Yep I'm going to "run it in" right in to the ground!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, Grum said:

Hi All.

Went for a short 20k run on the weekend, parked the bike on dew covered grass firm ground. After 1.5hrs came back to the bike and there was condensation within the right hand side of the instrument panel!! Have never had this issue with any previous bike. My two year warranty runs out in August and currently in discussion with local Honda dealership, looks like an instrument cluster replacement, what a bummer, will keep you posted.

Cheers.

Grum.

WP_20160514_2_004.jpg

Well its happened again with my new warranty replaced dash. The same conditions as above, bike parked in sunshine no wind on firm ground with moist grass, two hours later condensation appeared. There has to be a design issue with these panels. Honda is investigating and the anomaly has been logged against my bike just in case there is ever a failure with the panel due to moisture.

09_Jul2016_Condensation.jpg

• Member Contributer

Is  anyone else having these problems? 

Mine gets left left out in the pissing rain a lot of the time and haven't had a problem. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Latest info from Honda. "The Instrument Panels are not a sealed unit and condensation may enter but should not harm the dash". This issue is logged against my bike so any post warranty problems with the dash will be covered.

• 2 months later...

So the issue has returned for my VFR despite the screen being replaced under warranty. I did question at the time with Honda whether simply replacing the screen would resolve the issue given the moisture much be within the dash unit. Have raised my concerns with Honda, and my expectations that despite now being out of warranty that they resolve this seeing as they didn't get it right the first time... we shall see. Anybody else still having issues??

IMG_0939.JPG

Hoping I stay lucky. Mine is parked under a small awning at home and out in the sun all day at work, so conditions aren't ideal.

Just thinking here... If they don't fix it, maybe a small silica gel pack somewhere and apply silicone around the seal yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Instrument panels are usually vented, not sealed.  Sealing it could cause worse problems...

Ciao,

17 hours ago, MrTeeHee said:

So the issue has returned for my VFR despite the screen being replaced under warranty. I did question at the time with Honda whether simply replacing the screen would resolve the issue given the moisture much be within the dash unit. Have raised my concerns with Honda, and my expectations that despite now being out of warranty that they resolve this seeing as they didn't get it right the first time... we shall see. Anybody else still having issues??

I've had mine nearly two years now and no sign of anything like this. It's garaged overnight though, don't know if that makes a difference.

Archived