'99 Vfr800 Ignition Switch 3 Pin/4 Pin Connector Compatibility

br1ckd

I have a '99 VFR800 and I need to replace the ignition switch. I bought a used lock set from another '98-01 VFR but didn't look closely at the pictures and the ignition switch has a different connector than the one on my bike. My factory service manual and the ignition switch I bought only have 3 wires, but the ignition switch on my bike has an extra pink wire. Did the 2000-01 bikes have the 3 pin connector? Does anyone know what the pink wire is for, and if I can get the new switch to work with my bike?

• Member Contributer

In the Downloads section MadScientist has uploaded some super high resolution wiring diagrams for the 5th gen. Maybe give 'em a try and see if they can help sort it.

I already downloaded that diagram, the "extra" pink wire on my ignition switch isn't shown on that diagram, or the diagram in my service manual. The only two solid pink wires on that diagram connect the ECU to some gauges and sensors. I might take apart my old ignition switch this weekend to try to reverse engineer it and figure out how to get this bike started.

• Member Contributer

Haynes says there is an extra pink wire between the ignition switch and the PGM-FI unit on the US-spec 2000-01 models, only. Ignoring it would by my suggestion!

Ciao,

I got the ignition switch off the bike and the internal wiring matches the 02-09 wiring diagram. The bike was sold to me as a 99 and a VIN lookup says it's a '00. Not sure what's going on here. The colors of the wires on the harness and the ignition switch match the '02-09 wiring diagram, so I guess someone must have swapped harnesses? It looks like the 5th gen and 6th gen ECUs have different connectors, so they must have swapped the ECU too. Is this possible? Common? Can anyone help me understand what happened to this bike?

• Member Contributer

Welcome and post some pics of the motor,ecu and ignition switch.

If someone did replace the wiring harness with a 6th gen there not compatible.

Archived