10W40 Vs Honda Recommended 10W30 Oil. What Do You Use?

Tbone322

So I am still waiting for the rain to wash away the winter salt to ride my brand new 2014 8th Gen. I plan to change my oil at around 200-300 km then again at the Honda recommended first oil change kms. I like to give it an earlier flush. The dealers around here mostly carry 10W40 motorcycle oil and almost no one has the 10W30.

I picked up a 4 Lt jug of Honda G4 10W40 for the first oil change. Then I read on many forums about if it is ok or not to use 10W40 versus the Honda recommended 10W30. Of course there are thousands of wanna be oil chemists out there with about the same amount of opinions.

So today I called the Honda Powersports dealer and asked their service manager the question. He said funny enough the Honda factory tech was just in the shop last week and he asked him the very same.

Honda Factory tech said it was perfectly fine to use the 10W40 oil.

Who runs 10W40 in their 8th gen and anyone have any issues with it?

• Member Contributer

Without getting technical, Yes 10W40 as far as I am concerned is not an issue, have done nearly 30,000ks on my 8th gen using 10W40. As long as it meets or exceeds the other manufacturer's spec eg. API SG or Higher or JASO MA

My own personal Oil of choice is CASTROL Power1 GPS 4T - Semi Synthetic 10W40. It Exceeds API SJ and JASO MA2. However there are many to chose from that will do the job.

• Member Contributer

In the UK the recommended oil is 10W/30, which is what the dealers used, I also use Castrol Power but fully synthetic, I've had to top it up after 5K miles with 1/2l, no smoke or signs of wear it just uses it

• Member Contributer

Just had Honda 10W40 dinosaur put in after the 600 mile (706 actually) first change. Next change will be same vis. of synthetic of some brand. Probably Amsoil since it's cheap around here. Besides, they wrote their own white paper so it has to be better than ??

Archived