I Defected From Vfr's

Well it was a sad day/happy day last week when I decided to defect from Honda and pursue other motorcycle brands. I had a 2007 RWB VFR that I thoroughly enjoyed, but there are too many motorcycles and not enough time. I bought a new leftover 2015 Triumph Street Triple R and that thing is so much fun to ride. I'm still going to stay active on VFRD and who knows, I may find myself on another VFR again some day. I hope I can still ride with you guys.

photo(1)

You traitorous bastard! How dare you leave Honda and look at othe... woah... that's a sweet looking bike! And the triples do a have wonderful exhaust note and are known for torque... Damn. Alright, you're still cool!

• Member Contributer

You can run, but you can't hide! V4's are a bloodborn disease and there's no known cure. You'll have one again eventually. Seriously, nice ride and please do stay active here.

• Member Contributer

Where is the rest of the front end? just kidding. I do prefer the ST front end design from the original Gen 1 vs. the "trying to hard to look like a Japanese streetfighter" look. The original design had more character.

Triples are a hoot. congrats and enjoy!

Your change makes total sense. Like the VFR you have what is rated a wonderful and unique engine, a gorgeous bike, and well-balanced with plenty of power but not too much. Triumph is in mid-stride, at the peak of their game. It would not make sense to keep both bikes methinks. Enjoy the ride!

What is that red piece? It looks to me like it is for crash protection.

• Member Contributer

Your change makes total sense. Like the VFR you have what is rated a wonderful and unique engine, a gorgeous bike, and well-balanced with plenty of power but not too much. Triumph is in mid-stride, at the peak of their game. It would not make sense to keep both bikes methinks. Enjoy the ride!

Just a stylistic cover for the radiator guard.

Triumph's market share has not grown a bit in the last few years. They have lost as many dealers as they have set up, if not more. So I would not really say they are at the peak of their game. After spending 10 years with Triumph, they still have a long way to go.

Just a stylistic cover for the radiator guard.

Triumph's market share has not grown a bit in the last few years. They have lost as many dealers as they have set up, if not more. So I would not really say they are at the peak of their game. After spending 10 years with Triumph, they still have a long way to go.

My comment is from the side of how good some of the bikes are, such as the triples. Agree/disagree?

So what are the problems with Triumph today?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

In America, the motorcycle sales pie has been a fixed size for five years. So while some makers are jumping ahead and some fallen behind, if Triumph is stagnant overall I don't think that is necessarily bad, particularly in the midst of this permanent recession. If there is one thing I hate, it is growth for growth's sake. When people talk about market share, my eyes immediately glaze over. The availability of service, well that is a concern, although I have migrated to independent mechanics for all of my needs. I do realize that we need dealers to sell us the bike in the first place.

Welcome to the dark side my friend. I too made the jump from a VFR to a Triumph triple, the Tiger 1050. Simply amazing machine! But another VFR recently found its way back into my garage... hmmm....

:comp13:

• Member Contributer

The bikes have always been good, even from the T300 series in the beginning. They are an engineering company first. Everything else is secondary.

Where they fall far short in this market, and always have and always will, is managing their dealer partners. Their expectations for the US market are undeniably unreasonable. Ask any dealer (other than Tom Hicks in So Cal who LOVES Triumph's management) and they will tell you they are completely out of their minds in what they expect dealers to stock and how to set up their showroom. They have no penetration in the cruiser segment, the largest segment of the industry (much to the dismay of many enthusiasts).

I still have a Daytona 675. Bought it before the bike ever hit the US soil, before the first road test ever was published. After 10 years and tons of track miles, I still have more fun riding it on the track than anything else.

• Member Contributer

I still have a Daytona 675. Bought it before the bike ever hit the US soil, before the first road test ever was published. After 10 years and tons of track miles, I still have more fun riding it on the track than anything else.

I've always loved the look of those 675's. Beautiful machines.

Nice choice! I love my grey STR. Granted, the Triumph is my mistress bike and could never replace my beloved VFR.

As much fun as the STR is to ride and was wonderful as it's motor is, it does lack the grin-inducing trill of the V-tec :o)

Where they fall far short in this market, and always have and always will, is managing their dealer partners.

I think this must be the case with KTM as well. How can they expect to sell these great new bikes when their dealer network is dramatically shrinking? At least that's how it appears from my perspective in the southeastern US.

• Member Contributer

Triumph is an awesome company. However I have to agree with Cogs as you made the fatal mistake of enjoying a VFR. :goofy: The sound and all round competence will haunt. It did for me. I've had a bunch of bikes, and perhaps this comes with old man experience = but VFR's are just ace. Handling, sound and comfort with an outstanding balance of all. And frankly hitting the sweet spot for many. My best to you with your new ride and please keep us updated. I love the Trumpets and the triples are ace too. I have to admit the new Bonnies are just gorgeous. :-)

Safe riding and congrats on your new ride!

Dave

Nice motorcycle! I have been thinking about one, although not as a replacement for my VFR sport-tourer.

definitely a track machine and no chance for any relaxiation, you get on one of those ,you are looking down straight to HELL!

• Member Contributer

definitely a track machine and no chance for any relaxiation, you get on one of those ,you are looking down straight to HELL!

The bike is plenty comfortable for me at 5'9. I have lots of time to relax going down the straights at Putnam and Grattan here in the Midwest. It's not super fast but pulls hard out of the corners.

• 1 month later...

Archived