Single Nut Conversion Vfr800 Hrc Rc45 Style - One More:-)

VFRRR

7 hours ago, BiKenG said:

... The Ducati hub is 80 wide by 110 dia...

I now think that is incorrect as I misread the diagram which in fact states the 916/996 etc hub is 98mm dia. which means it would need a 3.5mm sleeve to fit in the VFR750's S/A which uses a 105mm dia hub. Possible but not ideal and I've no idea where that would position the wheel. Although being 10mm wider might allow some 'adjustment'.

All in all, not a great solution I think.

A bigger problem is trying to arrange a single nut fixing for e.g. the RC45 wheel as the 400's axle cannot really be shuffled sideways in the 750 hub the 7mm required to align the wheel. Not sure where I go from here. 😞

On 5/2/2018 at 10:34 AM, BiKenG said:

In that case, the goal is the wheel, but I won't be using Ducati axles and stuff. Goes against the grain on a Honda (apart from the wheel of course 🙂 )

Anyone got an accurate Ducati wheel offset? Hard to measure exactly. Is it 23mm or 7/8"?

Hi Ken,

here’s the details of the Ducati wheel i used and the original vfr wheel

93CD9E69-98DA-45B6-AC41-968945B86C80.jpeg

So you got a 20.5mm offset? Is that for the 1098/1198 wheel for the larger axle?

I measured 23mm on my 916 wheel and that concurs with what I have seen reported elsewhere. Which means Ducati used a different offset on their different axle sizes.

Question for those who've used Ducati axles. On the (driven/cush) LHS what type of washer do they use under the nut?

Honda like to use a dished/spring washer, but are Ducati the same or is it just a plain flat washer?

I've looked at parts lists, but they just state "washer" which is no help at all.

• 7 months later...

Hi VFRRR

I make race bodywork for some of the guy's in the UK that are making RC30 look a like bikes and I am going to start my own project bike soon.

I am very interested in the work you are doing with the rear hub conversion and would like to know more about the parts required.

I have a vfr rc36 750 road bike frame and engine and that's all, nothing more at the moment because I will be building the bike from scratch and not from a road bike.

• Member Contributer

Hifibre, Extreme Creations in Australia makes a conversion kit -

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/1098-ducati-hub-conversion-kit-for-vfr800

They supply a shim to fit the hub, a spacer to align the wheel and an adaptor to mount the brake caliper. You have to supply a Ducati wheel, hub and caliper

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 12/17/2018 at 1:58 PM, jim v said:

Hifibre, Extreme Creations in Australia makes a conversion kit -

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/1098-ducati-hub-conversion-kit-for-vfr800

They supply a shim to fit the hub, a spacer to align the wheel and an adaptor to mount the brake caliper. You have to supply a Ducati wheel, hub and caliper

Yer, but, no, but, yer... That's for an RC46, which is quite a different kettle of fish, compared with an RC36.  The bearing carriers are different diameter, for one.

It should be possible to do it, just not with that kit.

Ciao,

JZH

• 2 years later...
  • On 2/28/2016 at 10:02 AM, VFRRR said:

Hi, I wouldbe interested in buying you a central nut for my VFR, do you still have one to sold ? Do you have more information about welding of the part on the central axis ? looking forward to hearing from you. Best regards. Pascal

Hi,

I have been looking into making a single nut conversion for the Honda VFR800, because I like the way that it cleans up the rear of the bike and allow me to use other wheels, from a Ducati or other single sided swingarm bike.

I will do it on my VFR800 which is now being rebuild from a damaged bike, and taking form. more stuff is to be done to this bike:-) forks, rear end clocks(CBR1000RR) fairing for a CBR1000RR also, so many things are getting done.

The single nut conversion I was thinking of doing like the RC45 HRC axle and nut with left hand thread M46 and with a nut the same as the RC45 HRC one with 56 mm socket.

I have done it like BLS, Larry did on his RC45. Making an insert for the NC30/35 axle, press fitted and welded to the NC30 axle.

On my bike I am using a NC30 axle, you can use a NC35 also.

So if anybody else than me, is interested in this conversion, I took delivery this Saturday, of 8 sets of single nut conversions. It where cheaper for me to get all eight than just two sets for me and a friend. price for each set where 80 £ UK. Just the HRC RC45 nut is around 95 £ UK each from Honda.

I have the threaded part for the axle and the 46 mm nut with left hand thread. Price is depending on whether you do your own axle or send one and I send one back to you finished ready for you to install.

If anybody is interested in these give me a PM.

I will also do a lightweight rear brake, as I have made for my RC45. It's using an ISR caliper and disc and my own holder.I will try to get some pictures up today.

A few pictures are uploaded.

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

If you replace the ducati carrier with an Afam, JT or Renthal 5 bobbin Quick Change carrier, then Afam do a 520 45 tooth light weight steel sprocket for the 916, which I have paired with a 16T Yamaha R1 (15-16) 520 Rental light weight sprocket (309V-520-16P). They use the same output shaft splines as VFR800 !  Who knew 🤔  They may well do same for 6 bobbin carriers for 848/1098/1099 panigale etc 

EBB5BB29-91F4-4841-B4E8-414FA814D71F.thumb.jpeg.5acc087f7ff4a6cb5f58d7b491e70193.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 9/25/2021 at 4:45 AM, Mohawk said:

If you replace the ducati carrier with an Afam, JT or Renthal 5 bobbin Quick Change carrier

Mohawk, that looks like about the lightest sprocket carrier/cush drive I've ever seen. It looks like there's a JT logo on your carrier - is this correct? I'm used to seeing Ducati drive assemblies with an outer flange covering the cush bobbins, with bolts from the bobbins coming through the outer flange and nuts on the bolts holding the outer flange [see vfrcapn's post/photo above yours]. I love your safety wire loop [very tidy] and it appears that the cush bobbins on your assembly have female hex fittings, so I assume they thread into something that transfers drive forces to the carrier, yes? It would be very interesting if you could shed some light. Thanks!