Single Nut Conversion Vfr800 Hrc Rc45 Style - One More:-)

VFRRR

1 hour ago, JZH said:

I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but...Question: the NC30 axle is shorter than the RC36 axle, so will it work with the RC36 bearing carrier?  but is that because of the lack of cush drive, or because of the narrower bearing carrier on the NC30?  

I've got the triangular piece we spoke about in front of me now, but I still cannot find the conical spacer (assuming I have one).  You could probably turn a conical spacer on your lathe to help centre the axle and nut, which would sit inboard of the raised lip on the flat NC30 spacer--same effect.

Ciao,

I believe the NC axle will work in the RC36 S/A and I suspect the lack of cush drive is the reason for it being shorter. But you apparently do need to machine the axle slightly to shift it slightly left in order to align the wheel correctly. Mohawk is the expert on this and has it all figured out for when he did it on his bike.

In order to use the RC45 conical spacer, the axle needs to extend through the wheel as the spacer centres the wheel to that end of the axle. If I cut the axle shorter to allow the wheel to fit, the conical spacer won't be able to engage on it. The alternative is to enlarge the bore through the wheel so the axle fits through. But my current feeling is to cut down the axle and just use the 400 flat spacer.

Of course ti could all change tomorrow. :biggrin:

I have determined that opening up the centre bore of the wheel to fit over the full length of axle is the way to go and I'm just working on a way to mount the wheel in the lathe in order to accomplish this. However, the relative lengths of axle have thrown up a problem.

If I insert an RC bolt into the NC axle, mount an RC wheel and a spacer, it is clear that the axle is nearly an inch too long. So either the RCs' wheel is much thinner, or their bolt is quite a bit longer and I suspect the latter. Anyone got an NC axle bolt they could measure?

• Member Contributer

I measured my NC30 axle bolt at 186.71mm, measured from the top of the head.

FWIW, an RC30 axle bolt protrudes from an RC30 axle approximately 34.6mm.

Ciao,

9 hours ago, JZH said:

I measured my NC30 axle bolt at 186.71mm, measured from the top of the head.

Thanks for that. The RC axle bolt is about 206 long which explains why it looks too long in the NC axle. So in fact it IS too long. Rats :-(

• Member Contributer

I've acquired a couple of spares over the years.  Shall I put one in the box with the shock link piece?

Ciao,

On 25/11/2017 at 10:34 AM, JZH said:

I've acquired a couple of spares over the years.  Shall I put one in the box with the shock link piece?

Ciao,

Very kind of you John, but I've found a new axle at decent price, so I'll not have to trouble you for one of yours, thanks anyway. Still need the suspension link though. :biggrin:

Meanwhile, arranging to mount the wheel in the lathe and then also on the mill is making my head hurt.

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2018 at 9:54 PM, jim v said:

Letting everyone know, Extreme Creations in Aus is selling a single nut conversion kit to work with 1098 components - spacer, shim and caliper bracket.

I just ordered one so 7 kits remaining

Great, I am just now finishing rebuilding the VFR hub....

• Member Contributer

Question for keef and others who have made the modification - what chain/sprockets are you using?

iirc, Ducati stock is a 525 chain, Honda stock is 530. Does a 525 (or 520) front sprocket for a VFR exist? 

2 hours ago, jim v said:

Question for keef and others who have made the modification - what chain/sprockets are you using?

iirc, Ducati stock is a 525 chain, Honda stock is 530. Does a 525 (or 520) front sprocket for a VFR exist? 

Of course:

http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/honda/vfr-800-2002-2014.html

• Thanks 1

I’m using a driven quick change sprocket carrier for a 1098 with a custom made 530 rear sprocket from extreme since chain and sprockets were new when I did the wheel. 

When the chain dies (only 15000Ks on the vfr  in 5 years) I’ll go to a 520. 

530 is overkill for a bike that only makes 110or so hp. 

-_- man I am pissed that I invested so much time and money in the vfr stuff, thinking that this kit wasn't going to come together and sure enough, right as I am getting reading to put it back together, the kit is for sale.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

-_- man I am pissed that I invested so much time and money in the vfr stuff, thinking that this kit wasn't going to come together and sure enough, right as I am getting reading to put it back together, the kit is for sale.

I think Keef mentioned his wife refers to the VFR as the vortex, my wife calls mine the money vacuum.

A friend of mine asked me why I got the rear sets and 8 spoke rear wheel, I told him I didn't understand the question.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

That's a good chunk of money for some shim stock and a small waterjet/milled part.

He makes them in a CNC, actually. I dropped off my 1098 wheel years ago because he had a spare 5th gen arm to see how to make it work. This was much cleaner than the carozzeria style adapter I thought he'd have to make.

I reckon $235 is pretty cheap since he'd done all the measuring for you.

all prices in AUS$.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

In my mind its not a lot of money - someone else did the measuring, thinking and cutting. keef has been doing a long term test.

There's no way I could replicate it for $235AU, not even close

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 6:54 PM, jim v said:

Letting everyone know, Extreme Creations in Aus is selling a single nut conversion kit to work with 1098 components - spacer, shim and caliper bracket.

I just ordered one so 7 kits remaining

Okay, Cool beans.    other than a wheel, Doh,  what else is needed?  seems to simple.  But like where this is going. I just happen to know where there's a wheel  ;) 

• Member Contributer

Just looking at their site myself..

Other required parts are the complete Ducati rear hub assembly including cush drive, brake disc, caliper & caliper bracket. As well as a Ducati 1098 rear wheel or aftermarket  wheel to suit a Ducati 1098. A suitable brakeline will also be required.

Doesn't the 1098 and Multi have the same swingarm and same sized wheel?

All I know is the 848 has the smaller axle, the 1098 has the larger one, 1098 works, 848 is much harder. The 848 (I think) is the smaller axle from the older 916/996 series, so may work with a triumph hub. I didn't choose 1098 from research, I just wanted 6 inches of forged alloy goodness and got lucky.

And I have seen complete 1098 swingarm/hub/caliper/sprocket, for $300 aus. As in, everything except the wheel.

Don't forget, the 1098S is forged, so even lighter:491:

what are the differences in the 5th/6th/8th gen swingarms? I've notice a few lightweight wheel discussions going on..

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Keef is right. 848 and 1098 dont swap. Linky to site, but follows what I remember finding out when I did my search. I have a S4RS.

1098/1198 (maybe 1199) are their own thing. I think you can check by the axle part number to be sure.

748/916/996/998, 848 Ms24/s4r, m796, m1100, & old shape multi & hyper

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/compatible-wheels.19065/

the internet says...

a stock 1098S rear wheel like mine (forged alloy) is 7.85lbs.

I think the 5th gen rear wheel is about 13lbs?

Stock 848 (cast) front wheel is 9.15lbs

no idea what a front vfr wheel weighs.