Pirelli Angel Gt - Rear Tire Wear Issue

adamv

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone can assist me with what I'm seeing. I've had this tire for only one month (but admit I have travelled 2500miles / 4000kms in that time). The rear tire is wearing where the leading side of the tread has worn away and is almost a smooth curve down to the tread center - where the trailing part is still sharp and cornered.

I've attached a photo to try and give a better explanation as to what is happening.

My normal style of riding is to enter a corner with as minimal braking as possible (although I do use engine braking to slow down a little), and then hold power or increase power as I'm going through the corner and exiting.

I try to run the rear tire at between 40 to 42psi, and the lowest I've ever tested it before pumping that it's gotten to was 39psi. These are Pirelli Angel GT's. This would be the 2nd set it's happen to.

I don't know much about tires and most of the riding I've done has been self taught so I don't know if I'm riding wrong, if there's something with the suspension, if it's due to the couple of slips I've had in gravel on the road (nothing significant, just the rear wheel giving way and then re-gripping again) or if this is just normal use, and / or whether I should be changing tires before getting down to the wear marks because of this? (I want to know I can trust my tires).

Cheers

Adam

post-29193-0-57968700-1456560468.jpg

post-29193-0-32370600-1456560475.jpg

post-29193-0-11999700-1456560482.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi Adam.

Have seen this many times. Looks like you are getting a good drive out of the bends. Also looks like you've been having a good dose of the twisties of late, a hot road surface may help to exaggerate what you are seeing - looks normal to me, the Pirelli may also be a softer compound, though I'm not sure of that.

My tire of choice has been the Michelin Pilot Road 2's or 4's and have had similar effects on the odd track day I've done or a full day out in the twisties trying to keep up with a couple of much quicker mates.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Here some pics of the last set of Dunlap Q3's. Checking my records this set had 2785 miles.

On this set I ran 30psi front and 32psi on the rear. Great set of tires.

DSC00473

DSC00472

DSC00471

DSC00470

• Member Contributer

Wow Switch. Those look like the next thing to a race slick. But I suppose you are a nine-ninth percentile rider so GOOD WORK!

Here some pics of the last set of Dunlap Q3's. Checking my records this set had 2785 miles.

On this set I ran 30psi front and 32psi on the rear. Great set of tires.

• Member Contributer

How do you like the rebound setting on the rear shock?

Is the bike balanced front to rear when you push down on the headstock area and center of the saddle does the front and rear rebound at the same speed?

That is pretty much normal wear as many have stated but you can change the way the tire wears just a bit by reducing the speed or your rear rebound. If you like the way your bike suspension is set up I would not change it just for that tire wear.

That tire wear can be reduced much more easily but not rolling on the throttle so hard when exiting turns :goofy: but where is the fun in that?

To be honest, I've never altered it - and are not really familiar with what I should be expecting from it. All I know is that the bike rides comfortably since I first got it (my first road bike, so I have nothing to compare it with), and I go by the motto "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" (or more precise in my case "if it ain't broken, don't break it" ;) )

I do however find that the bike is more comfortable when I have a load on it, and that bumps are rather hard when it's just myself.

I'm assuming that the rebound setting is how quickly the shocks reset after taking a bump. Out of curiosity which way would I need to alter this to reduce the tire wear?

• Member Contributer

Tires are elastic bodies and when under normal stress show patterns that they are working for you... kick it wick it some more...

Rennsports Streets after 5500 miles...

Front...
gallery_3131_51_2230.jpg

Rear
gallery_3131_51_13534.jpg

• Member Contributer

Perhaps I can add info as to what happens when you completely wear a tire out.

Background: The first set of tires I bought for my first 2001 were Metzeler M1. They lasted ~9,000 mi. Went through several sets with similar results. Came time to but the next pair and was told they weren't made any more, replaced by M3.

So I bought a set right before leaving for T-Mac. As I was getting ready to head home from NC, I looked at my tires (tot mileage on tires < 2500 mi) and saw they were worn (and they stuck like glue, even it the wet) but still not to the wear bars. I expected to easily make it home, based on M1 mileage. As I was approaching St. Louis from the south on a freeway, I felt some swaying in the back. Because I'd experienced a nearly flat slow leaking rear tire previously, I recognized my back tire was going flat. Within three seconds I was on the freeway shoulder. Long (good) story shortened, the tire had worn clear through the steel belts.

I'd call that catastrophic failure with a good outcome. If that had happened on a twisty road at aggressive cornering the outcome may have been different!

As it turned out, I later saw a chart of the range of various Metzeler tires; the M1's were shown at the long-distance left-hand side of the scale. The M3's were much further to the right toward the racing end of the spectrum. I had been completely mislead about the differences between the M1 and M3.

I was no worse for the experience but gained useful information about tires.

YMMV

Any one else have similar stories to enlighten us with?

• Member Contributer

To be honest, I've never altered it - and are not really familiar with what I should be expecting from it. All I know is that the bike rides comfortably since I first got it (my first road bike, so I have nothing to compare it with), and I go by the motto "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" (or more precise in my case "if it ain't broken, don't break it" ;) )

I do however find that the bike is more comfortable when I have a load on it, and that bumps are rather hard when it's just myself.

I'm assuming that the rebound setting is how quickly the shocks reset after taking a bump. Out of curiosity which way would I need to alter this to reduce the tire wear?

Take a look at the lower shock eye on the rear.

VFR800 lower shock mount

The settings show slower in one direction and faster in the opposite.

Try to slow down your rebound a bit and see what you think.

For the comfort level while loaded and unloaded you should set your sag to see if the perhaps the rear preload is a bit too much. It does not soften the spring but changes the point that the bike rides on the springs.

So by reducing the preload (provided that I am guessing correctly and your sag is less than approximately 40mm in the rear) your bike will ride a bit softer in the rear.

As always, make sure you set the front and rear sag at the same time. It is easier to do with a couple of mates but can be completed with one.

I have yet to wear out a set of tires. My old schedule had me gone half the year, now it is two thirds of the year(everyone needs to ride more, support your fellow enthusiasts that work in the oilfield). I took fairly new conti road attacks off my vfr to put on the metzler Z8. This was a recommendation from my father(who had a set of M3's on his Blackbird) and my brother who had M5's and now M7's on his CB919.

I planned my ride for the initial heat cycle to take me by my brothers place. This was to get his opinion on the initial heating and scuffing of the tire. His M5's wore in the center more despite the amount of corners on roads in our area. He did research and found tire pressure effects the overall heating of the tire which effects grip. Each different model tire will have that sweet spot for tire pressure, especially multi compound tires.

Other people have said it, but your rebound isn't right.

Set sag ( at a guess, 30 rear and 35 on the front if you like it smooth and your roads are kinda average)

Set compression and rebound in the garage- you'll be able to get it 80% in the garage, and the last 20% on the road.

• Member Contributer

I wore my MeZ1 race compounds down to the cords without loss of air in the bendy bits on Highway 49... I noticed rear slid more under

acceleration and especially during braking... the center felt wooden but edge grip was still good...

post-3131-0-49537800-1456986665.jpg

• Member Contributer

I wore my MeZ1 race compounds down to the cords without loss of air in the bendy bits on Highway 49... I noticed rear slid more under

acceleration and especially during braking... the center felt wooden but edge grip was still good...

attachicon.gifMEZ1Peeling.JPG

But they still have life in them! :pinocchio:

Archived