Do I Need To Protect My Electrical Connections?

whiteknuckles

• Member Contributer

Newish owner of an '02. I ride in wet weather. Had the harness recall work done. Just looking at the rubber boots that semi-protect the many connections, makes me wonder if any of you have found a better solution/mod that would keep moisture out, or am I looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist?

I've had my 02 for 4 years now, with tons of rain riding, and I've never really done anything special to address that with the electrical system. I don't think it's too big of a concern in all honesty. But then again, I could be wrong and sitting on a ticking time bomb! Hahaha

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

To use your word.... I slather the everloving crap out of my connectors with dielectric grease of every connector I touch on my '02. I don't want to be 500 miles away from home in a rain storm troubleshooting an electrical problem. It is messy as hell, I don't care. Your mileage may vary.

I'll put the nozzle of the the tube of dielectric up against the face of the connector, squeeze until I see the grease come out the wire side of the connector. Repeat on the mating connector, shove them together. I ride in all weather and have had very good luck. I also do the same on my switch gear. Not saying you can't ride for years in all weather without doing this.... but I'd rather do my troubleshooting in the warmth of my garage and I feel this gives me another layer of protection.

I also wash my motorcycle at the car wash. Maybe gives you an idea of my views on motorcycling.

• Member Contributer

To use your word.... I slather the everloving crap out of my connectors with dielectric grease of every connector I touch on my '02. I don't want to be 500 miles away from home in a rain storm troubleshooting an electrical problem. It is messy as hell, I don't care. Your mileage may vary.

I'll put the nozzle of the the tube of dielectric up against the face of the connector, squeeze until I see the grease come out the wire side of the connector. Repeat on the mating connector, shove them together. I ride in all weather and have had very good luck. I also do the same on my switch gear. Not saying you can't ride for years in all weather without doing this.... but I'd rather do my troubleshooting in the warmth of my garage and I feel this gives me another layer of protection.

I also wash my motorcycle at the car wash. Maybe gives you an idea of my views on motorcycling.

You DA MAN! I'm of the same ilk! Slathering it on this weekend!

Archived