Austin Moto Gp

Will be in Austin on business the week of the GP. We will definitely be taking in Sundays races and maybe even some of Saturday's activities. Never been to CotA, but have attended the race at Indy and I can say that if you haven't seen it in person, you owe it to yourself to try to attend. The sound alone is worth the price of admission.

Anyway, any tips from locals or those familiar with the circuit would be appreciated. Best seating, or general admission and roam around? Traffic issues on Sunday? General Austin highlights like restaurants, cultural attractions [ traveling with my wife], Wish I could be riding down from Pennsylvania, but maybe next time. Look forward to any info.

• Member Contributer

I'd buy a general admission for the main grandstand seat. It's the only portion of the seating of the track, that is covered, unless you pay for a suite ($$$$). April is notorious for heavy showers in TX. So far we've been lucky with COTA and the GP's. But one year, it's gonna happen, massive rain, and it rains here hard enough to stop all activities. So a good insurance policy.

You can walk around to get the best views. You can walk up to turn 1 and see them come down the straight at 200 MPH then drop into 1st gear for the first turn. Turn 15 grandstand is pretty good too. You can see them come out of 12, all the way through 15. There is a little bar between turns 18 and 19 that is great too. If you get there 30 minutes before a session you can order a beer, sit against the railing and have a premium view.

Honestly, I'd roam.

Traffic, 35 will be a mf'er no matter what. Plan a route through the backroads and stay away from 35 if you can help it.

We usually rent a house for the week and stay in a secret area close to the track. About 10 minutes drive door to seat and seat to door. So quick we leave for lunch, go cook at the house and come back.

I'd buy a general admission for the main grandstand seat. It's the only portion of the seating of the track, that is covered, unless you pay for a suite ($$$$). April is notorious for heavy showers in TX. So far we've been lucky with COTA and the GP's. But one year, it's gonna happen, massive rain, and it rains here hard enough to stop all activities. So a good insurance policy.

You can walk around to get the best views. You can walk up to turn 1 and see them come down the straight at 200 MPH then drop into 1st gear for the first turn. Turn 15 grandstand is pretty good too. You can see them come out of 12, all the way through 15. There is a little bar between turns 18 and 19 that is great too. If you get there 30 minutes before a session you can order a beer, sit against the railing and have a premium view.

Honestly, I'd roam.

Traffic, 35 will be a mf'er no matter what. Plan a route through the backroads and stay away from 35 if you can help it.

We usually rent a house for the week and stay in a secret area close to the track. About 10 minutes drive door to seat and seat to door. So quick we leave for lunch, go cook at the house and come back.

Inside info really makes a difference. Thanks for the reply.

Archived