Riding Particularities In D.c. For A European Rider.

Nobody

Hi, all!

I would appreciate a little help here.

I've never been in USA before and now I'm in Washington D.C. for 3 years and I have my VFR with me. Will start riding now as I've received temporary number plate.

But here are the few things I'm wondering about:

1) From what I've read it is not legal to filter at traffic lights, but how it is in reality - do you do that or just stay in line? I'd been filtering all my riding life, perhaps I will have to learn smth new for me (it is though one of bike's pros in city traffic - ability to filter).

2) How do you park the bike - I've seen some parked perpendicular to road between cars but I don't know if it is the right and/or only way to park. In Europe I could park my bike on sidewalks if that did not bother peds (well, not in every country, but most).

3) Is there any tolerance for speeding?

By looking at the traffic when driving car, seems like it will be more dangerous than ride in Belgium where I lived for last 2 years or Latvia, my home country. Anyway will give it a try, I will get mad if I will not ride :D.

Perhaps there are more things I should know, please share.

• Member Contributer

Paging TimmyTheCop...

Nobody, I'm sure you'll get a few to chime in soon. As far as D.C. specific info I'll have to leave it up to those who are local to the area. I can say that every area is different as to what is "tolerated". Here in California we have almost unrestricted filtering, only a few times/places where it is not allowed but for the most part it's OK. Parking is similar, but most cities/counties allow parking in designated parking spots only. Speeding is often at the discretion of the law enforcement officer, but if they feel you are endangering your life or the lives of others, you'll be sure to get stopped.

• Member Contributer

i live 20 min from DC

GO THE SPEED LIMIT!!

traffic and speed cams EVERYWHERE..learn where they are!!

as for filtering. look around and see if you see any cop cars.. i filter all the time . when traffic is stopped.

you WILL see nuts speeding on dirt bikes and 4wheelers in the city and guys doing 100 mph at times.. but those guys know the area...

once you are settled in , let me know , i can show you some great places for food, and i have 2 pals from Belgium !!

you need a name change!! nobody is nobody on vfrd!! :wheel:

Hey dude, welcome to Dodge City. PM me and we can ride and Ill tell you about this crappy city.

Some rules:

Do not go to Southeast. You will be killed and then further inconvenienced.

Never park on a sidewalk. Instant 100 dollar ticket.

Filtering is done, but it is against the rules.

DC drivers will look you in the eye as they run you off the road.

The sacred left lane and the no passing on the right does not apply here.

If you sneak your bike in a spot even if it is technically not a true parking spot, you will be OK as long as your back wheel is against the curb.

If some one says "what time is it", run, you are being robbed.

If DC police car number 1502 is behind you, relax, that's me.

Thanks for answers!

Paging TimmyTheCop...

but if they feel you are endangering your life or the lives of others, you'll be sure to get stopped.

Not my style to ride like a madman, I just usually go some 10mph over limit and looks like drivers here do the same.

traffic and speed cams EVERYWHERE..learn where they are!!

as for filtering. look around and see if you see any cop cars.. i filter all the time . when traffic is stopped.

you WILL see nuts speeding on dirt bikes and 4wheelers in the city and guys doing 100 mph at times.. but those guys know the area...

once you are settled in , let me know , i can show you some great places for food, and i have 2 pals from Belgium !!

you need a name change!! nobody is nobody on vfrd!! :wheel:

Yes, will have to learn where cams are. I just hope it will not be the hard way (studying the tickets) :D

mmmm, food, that could be valuable, never tried to eat outside the home yet.

What's wrong with the name? Nobody gave me advice, so i came up with this one.. nobody is perfect.. :D

Hey dude, welcome to Dodge City. PM me and we can ride and Ill tell you about this crappy city.

Some rules:
Do not go to Southeast. You will be killed and then further inconvenienced.

Never park on a sidewalk. Instant 100 dollar ticket.

Filtering is done, but it is against the rules.

DC drivers will look you in the eye as they run you off the road.

The sacred left lane and the no passing on the right does not apply here.

If you sneak your bike in a spot even if it is technically not a true parking spot, you will be OK as long as your back wheel is against the curb.

If some one says "what time is it", run, you are being robbed.

If DC police car number 1502 is behind you, relax, that's me.

:D

Why are you in a car, not on a police bike? :)

Dodge City - good name :D. I've dodged once in a car already from a guy changing from standing left lane to right where i was coming, that was pretty close.

Is Southeast that bad even in a daylight?

In Riga usually they asked for a cigarette. But i've seen those things in life only until i was like 16y.o. idk if it went better with time or just i don't look like a victim any more :D.

Do they usually use weapons? In NW it doesn't look that bad, colleagues told me it is pretty safe around here (Dupont circle area) and i've never seen anything dangerous wondering around (but then i'm only a month here, could just be luck).

When you park a bike in a parking zone where you have to pay for a car, do you have to pay as well?

Many years ago I had driven down from New York, with two other friends, to take part in a sporting event in DC. While looking for the venue, we took a wrong turn in my SAAB 900 turbo. A very wrong turn. Suddenly we were very aware of what three preppy-type young whites in a SAAB look like in that kind of neighborhood. Gazelle, meet lion.

Needless to say we got out of there as quickly as possible, but it left a lasting impression that was not improved by hearing gunshots near the venue in broad daylight, constant sirens, and our hotel (Days Inn on NY Avenue) hit by a SWAT team complete with helicopter just as we were leaving the parking lot for the final day of competition.

I haven't visited Dirty City since, but it felt like a third world country in the middle of my country.

Some of you are scaring people from visiting Washington D.C. Any city in the world can be dangerous at night but during daytime you would be perfectly safe visiting any parts of District of Columbia.

Yea, DC is safe. I was discussing this same fact with a 2 year old who was shot last night.

..and my station is a block from the Days Inn on NY. I wouldn't stay there without a heater.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/dc/2016/02/06/double-shooting-nw-dc/79956036/

• Member Contributer

its like every city.. the southeast is where most of capital hill is, and the new redevelopment is happening. i just walked 6 blocks after the game didnt see anything other than bars and shops and harris teeter etc.. :fing02:

but i am sure just a few blocks away someone out there REALLY wants my coffee and change.. :mellow2:

• Member Contributer

Some of you are scaring people from visiting Washington D.C. Any city in the world can be dangerous at night but during daytime you would be perfectly safe visiting any parts of District of Columbia.

This thread is making me LMFAO, starting with timmythecop saying "Do not go to Southeast. You will be killed and then further inconvenienced."

The gazelle/lion thing brings back fond memories, like hurriedly pulling off the highway in Chicago's south side for some fried chicken because my mother in law's sugar was low. Except nobody there cared.

Or talking to people in Israel, where folks are accustomed to bus and mall bombs, and them saying "oh, New York? Isn't that dangerous?"

Of course you could get shot here but these days its usually by cops with high anxiety and disgraceful marksmanship. If someone asks you the time it's harmless as long as you're not near someplace with "Houses" in the name, in which case the correct response is "yeah it's time to meet your maker motherf***er" as you draw your .45 from your CCW holster.

Ride safe and have a nice stay!

• Member Contributer

It is always good to ask what the local custom/hot spots are.

AVIS in Joburg kindly provided me with a city map with specific areas colored RED. "You may get into that part of town, but you may never leave.."

An ANC rep picked us up from our hotel in Sandton for a tour through Soweto, annoyed that he had to pick up a few gringo's who booked a hotel in Central. "If I donot stop at a traffic light, don't be alarmed. But this is a new van, I might as well have painted "target" on the side. During the tour we got out of the van to meet locals, but he did point at areas where "the pharmacists" as he called them lived and he would not venture there. ANC or not.

I did take a wrong turn in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I clearly went into a not-so sunny part of town. Good that the compact made excellent U turns....

Just up ahead from the Hilton/Old town was an area clearly marked by signs NOT to venture into.

Driving through the island I did take an early exit of the motorway, only to be greeted by a concrete pillarbox. Full of machine gun carrying police. guarding a housing estate..

In Lisbon, Portugal, reception staff replied to my question that walking through a part of town to get to the pool was not advised.

In the US, I was always aware of people having access to guns. In FLA I saw 2 guys arguing in a parking lot developing into a gun fight...

So Yeah, good on ya for asking!

I'd do the same in Seoul.

• Member Contributer

It is always good to ask what the local custom/hot spots are.

[...]

I'd do the same in Seoul.

In Seoul and other places hosting US armed forces, visit a US base and check the wall of the security booth for the list of places off-limits to US armed forces.

That would be the fun places to go! :wink:

EDIT: I see all that stuff is posted on the Internet now. Which is nice because instead of a mere list of places, the documents go into detail about why the places are off-limits. LOL.

Not much to worry about in Seoul except the occasional cranky ajumma during the day, or at night the folks who have had about fourteen too many soju. Which is easy to have because they sell the stuff in juice boxes.

Safe travels!

This thread is making me LMFAO, starting with timmythecop saying "Do not go to Southeast. You will be killed and then further inconvenienced."

The gazelle/lion thing brings back fond memories, like hurriedly pulling off the highway in Chicago's south side for some fried chicken because my mother in law's sugar was low. Except nobody there cared.

Or talking to people in Israel, where folks are accustomed to bus and mall bombs, and them saying "oh, New York? Isn't that dangerous?"

Of course you could get shot here but these days its usually by cops with high anxiety and disgraceful marksmanship. If someone asks you the time it's harmless as long as you're not near someplace with "Houses" in the name, in which case the correct response is "yeah it's time to meet your maker motherf***er" as you draw your .45 from your CCW holster.

Ride safe and have a nice stay!

:D

thread went a little bit off track :D

But anyway it's useful to know things like that. Except your advice will not suit me as i've never had a gun and i'm pretty sure it will not change here - who will let to carry a gun to guy who's not even a citizen of usa :).

What's about places with "Houses" in name? Can you give some example?

An example: Get out of anywhere that ends in "Terrace" "Heights" or "Dwellings". These are projects. In other words, a place the government stacks up all the very, very poor and hopes for the best.

If you stay away from east of the Anacostia River, you should stand at least a 50/50 chance of living. If you are in NE or SE and the sreets are in the 40's or 50's -RUN. If you are between 60th and 63rd, don't do anything, as you are already dead.

• Member Contributer

thread went a little bit off track :D

But anyway it's useful to know things like that. Except your advice will not suit me as i've never had a gun and i'm pretty sure it will not change here - who will let to carry a gun to guy who's not even a citizen of usa :).

What's about places with "Houses" in name? Can you give some example?

Referencing what timmythecop wrote below here as the D.C. equivalent, "Houses" indicates projects, in our case run by NYCHA (New York City Housing Authority). To get a taste of what those places (read: literally ANY NYCHA properties, and surely the D.C. projects as well) are like and what cops think of them, just follow any of the news surrounding the shooting of Akai Gurley.

An example: Get out of anywhere that ends in "Terrace" "Heights" or "Dwellings". These are projects. In other words, a place the government stacks up all the very, very poor and hopes for the best.

If you stay away from east of the Anacostia River, you should stand at least a 50/50 chance of living. If you are in NE or SE and the sreets are in the 40's or 50's -RUN. If you are between 60th and 63rd, don't di anything, as you are already dead.

Should we not add, skip any planned visits to Baltimore? :unsure:

If you see this fella, its OK, he is our Chaplain, Monsignor Sal. He is a good dude.

12392003_10208288750116131_9107070882804

If you see this one.....run. He is a right shifty and cruel bastard and is not to be trusted.

10577041_10204459389424507_5086715954186

• Member Contributer

If you see this fella, its OK, he is our Chaplain, Monsignor Sal. He is a good dude.

If you see this one.....run. He is a right shifty and cruel bastard and is not to be trusted.

pix!!! ???

or are they both of my dad ? aka satan :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Come to the Netherlands............

post-8974-0-34292900-1455011766.jpg

post-8974-0-09177000-1455011772.jpg

Word of warning... Timmay did swag of a female police officers blouse years ago, so do check the "content" carefully before committing.... :-)

Come to the Netherlands............

attachicon.gif3bb000c07bebd2ddd883460e7654ff70.jpg

attachicon.giflFc17.jpg

Word of warning... Timmay did swag of a female police officers blouse years ago, so do check the "content" carefully before committing.... :-)

I want to move to Netherlands, oh wait I'm only 5'11. When I see flight attendants from that part of of Europe they seem 6 foot +, I have no chance.

If you stay away from east of the Anacostia River, you should stand at least a 50/50 chance of living. If you are in NE or SE and the sreets are in the 40's or 50's -RUN. If you are between 60th and 63rd, don't do anything, as you are already dead.

I was once at Veazey Terrace NW, for me it looked ok, perhaps some terraces are excpetions :).

:D i like this advice - run from police.

• Member Contributer

run from the police .. eeeuhh no.

Stop

Stay calm

Listen

Do what you are told

Stay calm

The 1st time you will be fulled over by the police -like me in Boston and seeing in the mirror the officer approaching hand on holster, his colleague holding a rifle leveled- will be a bit exciting yes...

:beer:

In reality, you are unlikely to end up in the dumping grounds described. Except for the unfortunate souls that live there, most Americans only hear of these places on the news..

Sad but true..... most cities have areas where you hope you are not born into.

Archived