Sena 20S Oh How I Love It!

stockman42

• Member Contributer

I received a Sena 20s blue tooth communication device for Christmas! LUCKY GUY! It's fantastic! My friend and I use them while riding now and it's like sitting on the couch talking. Riding alone you have hands free phone,music. This is my first experience with a communication system. I should have done it way before now. We tested the range in several types of terrain in city out of sight worked, we were trying to test the 1.2 mile range seemed to be pretty close. Hilly areas may have decreased the range a little but not very much. My friend is as impressed as I am and even made the remark, "It's like having someone in your head".

The only con I have right now is the voice command function for some reason we have to yell "hello Sena" evidently the b***h is deaf! Then I haven't updated the firmware yet... maybe that will cure it.

• Member Contributer

Update the firmware. Even new out of the box, the software can be several versions old!

I love my 20s, and still continue to love my SMH10. Def an upgrade over my previous Scala units. And better customer support.

• Member Contributer

I use my 20s every day and have grown to like it as well. Now, if they could just upgrade the FM and boost Bluetooth volume.

Oh, and I have never been able to pair with a non-Sena system using the Universal Intercom, despite several efforts. Other than that...

• Member Contributer

Do you use the supplied in-helmet speakers? If so, how do you find them?

I bought the alternative baseplate which has an earphone jack and I listen using Westone UM1 in-ear speakers which cut out most external noise but the intercom/music etc is right there direct to your ear so it's not having to fight its way through whatever ear defenders you have in.

Never had an issue BT'ing to non-Sena.

I have Sena 10C, which has all the features of 20S but adds a camera. You can record phone conversation or music while recording video. The only negative is that it sticks out more than the 20S but it doesn't bother me. I like that both of the Bluetooth shows settings on Iphone and one can change settings on the phone.

• Member Contributer

Do you use the supplied in-helmet speakers? If so, how do you find them?

I bought the alternative baseplate which has an earphone jack and I listen using Westone UM1 in-ear speakers which cut out most external noise but the intercom/music etc is right there direct to your ear so it's not having to fight its way through whatever ear defenders you have in.

Never had an issue BT'ing to non-Sena.

Yeah, I use the speakers and they work ok, but BT is noticeably lower volume than voice or FM for some reason. I also feel them which annoys me on long rides. I'm about to go the earphone route as well, but hesitating because I don't want another thing to plug in when donning the gear.

How do you find the fit to the helmet? I am waffling between the 10's and 20's. I like the low profile look of the 10's, but the technology improvements in the 20's

I have the 20s in a Shoei Qwest and you can't feel them at all, but it is mostly a touring helmet.

Really neat unit, but distracting to use with gloves on I've found.

• Member Contributer

I love our smh10 units. They are a great tool for teaching/coaching new riders, realtime, rather than at the next stopping point. That makes things much safer for new riders. I also really like being able to communicate with other riders in a group vocally, rather than having to use hand signals. Having music and phone capabilities is also a huge plus.

Yeah, I use the speakers and they work ok, but BT is noticeably lower volume than voice or FM for some reason. I also feel them which annoys me on long rides. I'm about to go the earphone route as well, but hesitating because I don't want another thing to plug in when donning the gear.

I assume you're already aware that each function maintains its own volume level. If so, and you've got it maxed on BT then maybe your partner needs to adjust the position of their microphone. Makes a big difference if it's not right next to your mouth.

Update the firmware. Even new out of the box, the software can be several versions old!

I love my 20s, and still continue to love my SMH10. Def an upgrade over my previous Scala units. And better customer support.

I've had the SMH10 for nearly 5 years (with regular updates) and still love it. I use it mostly for music (mp3 player), phone, and rarely BT to another rider. Do you think the 20s is worth upgrading to? Oh, and I have no need for the FM radio function.

• Member Contributer

I bought a match pair of 20s for my son and I before we rode the full length of the BRP, best money spent! I have to use in ear plugs because speakers cant cut it in my Suomy at speed, but I need the ear protection anyways. He seems to do well with the speakers but hes got 23 yr old ears too! Just take the time to learn the functions before getting on the road, can be frustrating trying to figure then out at lean ..at speed...;)

Archived