Motus V4

Motus, that is a beauty bike, I am sure you were waiting for my validation before finalizing any buyer's remorse doubts. :)

Reading some of the comments here, it seems that sometimes we forget that desire is not rooted in finances and incremental improvements have exponential cost. The La Ferrari is not 3 or 4 times the car of an F12, or the NSX is not 6 to 8 times the car of a Civic.

I appreciate being able to live vicariously through you and you willingness to share your experiences as I am certainly not in a position to experience first hand.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Reading some of the comments here, it seems that sometimes we forget that desire is not rooted in finances and incremental improvements have exponential cost. The La Ferrari is not 3 or 4 times the car of an F12, or the NSX is not 6 to 8 times the car of a Civic.

Absolutely true, but we've gone over this. The question is not whether the incremental improvements are worth it, but whether having them all pre-packaged and assembled (with a warranty) is worth anything additional over the combined cost of the improvements themselves. Especially when many (most?) of us have difficulty extracting the full potential of stock motorcycles.

It is fairly obvious why people desire Ducatis, Harleys, BMWs(?!?), etc (or NSXs/La Ferraris for that matter), they are getting either art, a status symbol, something intangible. At this point, some of these manufacturers can command a premium for a product based on reputation alone, the product doesn't even have to be better than everything else out there. What percent of La Ferrari owners are ever going to ask their car to outperform a F12 (or even a Civic for that matter)? If Ferrari sold the La Ferrari, with the limitation that the car be driven no more that 50 miles each year, would it sell out? Almost guaranteed.

Motus may have done the right thing in going with a high asking price (possibly just a little too high) in setting the customer expectations that they are purchasing a premium product from a premium label, but they really need bikes on the road and happy customers spreading the word about their Motus experience. Until they have a reputation though, their price demands that they actually are better than everything else out there, in almost every way. Things like looks will always be subjective, but I do think there is some room for improvement there.

Two HUGE things that would boost Motus image:

1. Competent mechanics/Honest service departments - who here has laid down their hard earned cash to recieve shoddy, incomplete, or improper maintenance done at a dealer? Or had their bike damaged? And when you complain about it, the service manager won't admit it OR blames you.

2. No Hassle Warranty Repairs - following on the above point, unless the failure seems to be obviously customer inflicted, it MUST be repaired - quickly and without a lengthy claim submission.

These might be hard given that Motus is trying to recruit dealers and service centers, so they are not really in a great position to penalize poor dealer service or pull franchises.

I wonder why Motus didn't go with electronically controlled or active suspension.

To me the devil is in the details. It has a premium price, but not premium execution. The pillion grab handles look like an after thought, the mirrors were stolen from my '98, the lollipop turn signals look cheap. For 35,000 everything detail has to be perfect. It is a V-4 sport tourer, so every detail has to be better the the VFR1200. If you look at a Porsche, or Ferrari it is clear why they command a premium price. IMO the Motus does not look premium, not even close. I can't speak about performance, never have rode one. But, if I look at a Ducati, it is clear that some engineer and designer spent hours making every part look beautiful, and perform great. For the money, it had better look like art, and perform too.

I replaced the mirrors, turn signal and tail light.

68fd3ae69ab8473b9e724a77715f29ec.jpg

• Member Contributer

Absolutely true, but we've gone over this. The question is not whether the incremental improvements are worth it, but whether having them all pre-packaged and assembled (with a warranty) is worth anything additional over the combined cost of the improvements themselves. Especially when many (most?) of us have difficulty extracting the full potential of stock motorcycles.

It is fairly obvious why people desire Ducatis, Harleys, BMWs(?!?), etc (or NSXs/La Ferraris for that matter), they are getting either art, a status symbol, something intangible. At this point, some of these manufacturers can command a premium for a product based on reputation alone, the product doesn't even have to be better than everything else out there. What percent of La Ferrari owners are ever going to ask their car to outperform a F12 (or even a Civic for that matter)? If Ferrari sold the La Ferrari, with the limitation that the car be driven no more that 50 miles each year, would it sell out? Almost guaranteed.

Motus may have done the right thing in going with a high asking price (possibly just a little too high) in setting the customer expectations that they are purchasing a premium product from a premium label, but they really need bikes on the road and happy customers spreading the word about their Motus experience. Until they have a reputation though, their price demands that they actually are better than everything else out there, in almost every way. Things like looks will always be subjective, but I do think there is some room for improvement there.

1. Competent mechanics/Honest service departments - who here has laid down their hard earned cash to recieve shoddy, incomplete, or improper maintenance done at a dealer? Or had their bike damaged? And when you complain about it, the service manager won't admit it OR blames you.

2. No Hassle Warranty Repairs - following on the above point, unless the failure seems to be obviously customer inflicted, it MUST be repaired - quickly and without a lengthy claim submission.

These might be hard given that Motus is trying to recruit dealers and service centers, so they are not really in a great position to penalize poor dealer service or pull franchises.

I wonder why Motus didn't go with electronically controlled or active suspension.

I think you may choose one of the above(either competent, no hassle repairs or electronically controlled suspension).

At this point in their development of their dealer/service network that may be too much to ask (with regard to electronically controlled or active suspension).

I think you may choose one of the above(either competent, no hassle repairs or electronically controlled suspension).

At this point in their development of their dealer/service network that may be too much to ask (with regard to electronically controlled or active suspension).

My dealer experience was really good with CA speed sports. Kregg and the crew email me and check in on how the bike is doing.

Motus carries a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. I have texted with Jim at the Motus factory to get answer on certain bolts/parts/etc. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

Oil change is simple, filter and mobile one. Probably the easiest ever on a bike.

Go ask a tech how much fun it is to take the tank off a Ducati Scrambler.

The Motus is extremely well thought out. I guess when you contemplate something for 8 yrs it should be.

The suspension is top notch Ohlins. I hated the electronic suspension on my 1199s Panigale. Same goes for the BMW GS.

I expect Motus to offer upgrade packages to the current fleet of bikes going out there. Rumor has it we might see a smaller alternator option to squeeze in a super charger!

963233cc5e22e3c69b34692cedd8112f.jpg

6a64d2b0dabe42eb4a9f11a6c66860a9.jpg

• Member Contributer

I love the bike... I have since I read about it in development. Presses all the right buttons for me. If hit the lottery I'll do a 3 year long term North America 100k+ miles tour to test reliability.

I volunteer to do a long term touring reliability test now if Motus needs anyone... who should I contact? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I really wish the engine wasn't so expensive. Before the Katech-Motus split, they had multiple displacements for the V4. IIRC, they listed a 1.6L, 2.0L, and a 2.4L. Really is a shame that there isn't a market for the engine to bring the cost down. It's not like Mazda is going to come knocking asking about producing the engine for the new MX-5 or anything.

The 1.6L is a bit small, but if they did the 2.0L or 2.4L, that would be an awesome kit car engine. But for $10k, 95% will go with a donor car instead.

• Member Contributer

My dealer experience was really good with CA speed sports. Kregg and the crew email me and check in on how the bike is doing.

Motus carries a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. I have texted with Jim at the Motus factory to get answer on certain bolts/parts/etc. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

Oil change is simple, filter and mobile one. Probably the easiest ever on a bike.

The Motus is extremely well thought out. I guess when you contemplate something for 8 yrs it should be.

The suspension is top notch Ohlins. I hated the electronic suspension on my 1199s Panigale. Same goes for the BMW GS.

CC - for a new brand, I take warranty and repairs over elec. suspension. I was just wondering why they didn't go that route.

Motus - I've never been on an 1199, but I've been on an R1200 RS with Dynamic ESA and loved it. What didn't you like about the GS (suspension specifically, there are LOTS of other things to not like about the GS)?

I really wish the engine wasn't so expensive. Before the Katech-Motus split, they had multiple displacements for the V4. IIRC, they listed a 1.6L, 2.0L, and a 2.4L. Really is a shame that there isn't a market for the engine to bring the cost down. It's not like Mazda is going to come knocking asking about producing the engine for the new MX-5 or anything.

The 1.6L is a bit small, but if they did the 2.0L or 2.4L, that would be an awesome kit car engine. But for $10k, 95% will go with a donor car instead.

Expect Motus to sell those engines.

There is enough material in the block to go to 2 liters and then Motus has already demo'd supercharging on the "Lonestar" custom and Bienville.

CC - for a new brand, I take warranty and repairs over elec. suspension. I was just wondering why they didn't go that route.

Motus - I've never been on an 1199, but I've been on an R1200 RS with Dynamic ESA and loved it. What didn't you like about the GS (suspension specifically, there are LOTS of other things to not like about the GS)?

In the GS it was something else to break.... My dealer even advised against it on the GS. Also, most GS swap the rear shock at some point.

I did have Reaction Catalyst do the setup for the Motus so I get the most out of the Ohlins. Good suspension folks do make a difference. Access to the rear shock adjusters is a bit tricky with the frame.

• Member Contributer

Expect Motus to sell those engines.

There is enough material in the block to go to 2 liters and then Motus has already demo'd supercharging on the "Lonestar" custom and Bienville.

In the GS it was something else to break.... My dealer even advised against it on the GS. Also, most GS swap the rear shock at some point.

I did have Reaction Catalyst do the setup for the Motus so I get the most out of the Ohlins. Good suspension folks do make a difference. Access to the rear shock adjusters is a bit tricky with the frame.

I definitely understand that. As someone who has seriously considered both a K1300 and R1200, the failure rate in general seems disproportionate with many other brands. Maybe it has something to do with the owners or typical use for these bikes, but I don't get a "reliable" vibe from either. All of this aside, I thought the dynamic suspension was quite good. Smoother than anything I've ever ridden on the slab and confidence inspiring in the curves. Probably expensive to fix and something I would trust few dealers to do properly.

• Member Contributer

I have to confess a soft spot for the 2015 and newer Multistrada electronics package.

The myriad settings for throttle mapping, anti-wheelie and suspension firmness are all programmable into the base four settings of Enduro (limited to 100hp), Urban, Touring and Sport.

During the 3 day Ducati demo event I thought I would prefer the sport setting but liked the default touring setting for around town and traffic and only switched to the sport setting when I wanted to loft a wheel or hoon around.

If I owned it I would program in a little less anti wheelie and keep the plushness of the suspension for the default setting.

Took a 40 mile ride this afternoon to Motus (Ducati, Aprillia, etc) dealer in Livermore, CA., to look at one. Got to say for a first generation the design and craftsmanship looked very good. I am sure when compared to manufacturers that have been around for many years, you can find things to complain about, but overall, very impressive. They have sold 5 already!

• Member Contributer

I stopped in at RPM motorsporrts in Dallas Texas today while on my lunch break and looked one over. Talked with the manager there (Boris) who is very knowledgeable about the bikes (he has two old VF-Rs a 1986 700 and a 1985 VF1000R) and his daily rider is a Sprint ST1050.

He says that the instant on torque of the Motus will spoil you. Part of it is the V4 platform is inherhently more torquey than an inline but having 1650 cc on tap goes a long way. Anyone who has thrashed an ST1300 knows what he is saying there.

He offered me a ride on the bike there (MST) but i didn't have any gear and plan on swinging by Motus in Birmingham in the next few weeks anyway.

Very well finished bike with impressive brakes, exhaust, suspension, the works!

The MSTR is the one I would consider.

• Member Contributer

Time to get that tacker out and re-do the upholstery! :wink:

I had to (re)do a section on mine too after a little while

post-8974-0-60712800-1455786329.jpg

post-8974-0-95075400-1455786367.jpg

Now she is perfectly tight.

• Member Contributer

How timely... an article on the Motus!

http://www.cycleworld.com/2016/02/18/2016-motus-mst-and-mstr-sport-touring-motorcycle-review-pricing-specifications/

I really dig this bike.... anybody want to buy a kidney?

• Member Contributer

So Duccmann came by today so we could install his newly rebuilt 6 Gen shock he got back from Jamie Daugherty. After we were done we decided to go over to the Indian, Victory, Aprilia and Motus dealer literally down the road from where I live. Although we didn't do a test ride, getting a first hand view of these beautiful motorcycles was enough to see why one wouldn't be turned off by the price tag!

Here's Duccmann posing with a Motus that was in their break room.

IMG_2451_zps7wutykal.jpg

Here is 1 MSTR (Left) and 2 MSTs (Middle, Right)

IMG_2452_zpsdeyw6wcn.jpg

All your Duc..er Motus' in a row

IMG_2453_zpsoipcrlmr.jpg

Found these adjustable bars to be very interesting

IMG_2454_zps05t7dwvu.jpg

IMG_2455_zpswxkwvqdk.jpg

Now how much would you pay?!

IMG_2457_zpsvcj3szi4.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

That would be a ride out that I would love be on...

... and if I couldn't be on it I would LOVE to hear the group of them pull out!

Archived