Bike Dilemma

Here is my situation:

I have a 2003 VFR that I have owned about 4.5 years. I love the bike. I came from a 94 ninja ZX6E and the VFR was a comfort and reliability upgrade for sure. It has allowed me to start doing a lot of longer rides spanning 10-14 days and usually around 3000 miles. I have added a Russell seat, heated grips, heli bars, heated gear for the wife, a top case, a chain oiler and some other assorted goodies to make it love to eat the miles up even more.

I have been wanting to upgrade the suspension since it is due for maintenance and I think a reworked setup would be a great improvement for touring. I priced out a setup from Jamie D and it seems like a great option for me.

But I have also been eyeing some other more touring capable bikes on the side. I don't want to drop $$$ on a new suspension and then turn around and buy a new bike and all of the toys to make it mine also. The wife will probably kill me.

I'm looking at the newer FJR1300 and the ST1300. Couple of key things I am looking for if I get a new bike would be a shaft and adjustable wind screen. I love the motor in the VFR which is why I looked at the ST1300 but all the reviews of the FJR are pretty good. I was against the 5 gear thing at first but I don't think it matters really. Bike has plenty of power. I should add that the R1200RT fits the bill also but is out of my price range.

Other factors here are that I commute in the bike most of the time. PNW so lots of rain and driving to and from work in the dark half the year. Whatever bike I half will have a top case. I take a lot of crap from buddies for it but I love the thing and so does my wife. I'm also short. 5'7" on a good day. Short inseam so the taller bikes and I don't get along that great. I am pretty comfortable managing the weight of the bike/passenger/gear on the VFR though.

So what would you do if you were me? Keep the VFR and put the money in the suspension? Ditch it for a more touring style bike? I know the other bikes are a little bigger, but they are more ergonomic also. I think it might offset. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

It really depends on what you want to do with the bike. More sport riding? Keep the VFR. More touring and commuting? The ST or FJR would be a better bet perhaps.

Do you have luggage? you mentioned that you have a top case, but couldn't find where you said if you had side cases. Honda OEM or Givi bags would make your commute easier, unless you are lane splitting which is probably not the case for you.

Upgrading your suspension would be the best bet if you want to elevate the performance of your bike. DMR suspension from Jamie is great bang for the buck. Also worth mentioning, but if you have not ridden the FJR yet I can tell you that while they are excellent bikes, they are heavier and harder to throw around than the VFR. I had 2 FJRs and you get used to it, but at first I pulled over a few times to see if my tire was flat. They are heavy steering. I have never ridden an ST, but imagine that with the extra weight over the VFR, they will also be heavy steering.

My $.02 is to try the suspension and possibly some new tires. Maybe look at changing your gearing, either for more MPG/ lower the revs on the highway, or gear it for more acceleration. It will probably feel like a new bike with just those few mods, that really are quite cheap vs. the new bike!

• Member Contributer

Delta hit it right on the head. If you do look at others , I can say that the St1300 is an awesome ride for what it does. The guy who got me back in the saddle after an extended absence , rides one and after 6 yrs he is still challenging to keep up with in the good stuff. The St rides like a much lighter bike, does have a different riding position ,but will surprise you on how well it handles.

My VFR is a 98, and I've had it since '99. Obviously I say keep it.

But get another bike as well. N+1 and all. :beer:

Thanks guys. I do have factory luggage on the VFR and with the top case I have no complaints on what i can carry.

I am leaning towards doing the suspension and keeping her. We have had some great adventures together.

The ergonomics aren't perfect, but pretty close. I think if I swap a larger windscreen on I might more comfortable touring. I like wind when it's hot and around town but nice to cut it during highway riding. That is the appeal of an electronic wind screen.

The heli bars have helped a lot but I think I need a little more upright. Maybe super bars are in my future? Lol. It never ends does it?

• Member Contributer

maxresdefault.jpg I think you are asking a lot to get an unbiased answer to your "dilemma" here, Vulgar!

Just second guessing myself. I love my VFR but something new is always fun. Plus I like the tech stuff on the FJR and RT. Of course you pay for it all and I can't afford the RT. A used FJR I could afford. The suspension and even a super bar kit and the longer cables etc on the VFR would still be less though.

It is fun to get the style points of being on a sport bike 2K miles from home when people do a double take after seeing your plate.

Definitely first world problems lol.

• Member Contributer

Another tweak you could do to improve the ergos for comfort would be to lower the pegs. There are a few options for that. I have something from Knight Designs but I also believe Busy Little Shop has an option as well.

• Member Contributer

If the heli's aren't giving you enough room, there are Convertibars or an LSL or similar conversion that would bring them up / closer to you. Also, peg lowering blocks do a lot for legroom and are inexpensive.

You mentioned a suspension upgrade for touring. I did that last year. My first few days on the bike after that, the handling improvement was great, making it a much sharper tool in the corners. However, I did also find that the ride was harsher - expansion joints or bumps that previously were soaked up by the softer springs were now feeding back through the pegs, seat and bars. I began to wonder if I could go 300+ miles in a day on it. Turns out the answer was 'yes', and the 20 + pounds of luggage I have on it for trips helps smooth things out. If you're 2 up on it then the suspension re-do IMO is a must. You'll like the bike a lot better having the suspension tuned for the way you ride. You'll put a lot less in to those mods that you would a new bike - I'd at least give the viffer a shot at being dialed in for you and then ride it for a year or two before deciding. My $.02.

• Member Contributer

I have a ST 1300 and find that I can ride it fairly quickly when compared to the VFR it does not give much away . The motor and suspension when sorted allow for a real cushy ride and less work to ride than the viffer .

I have the BLS lowering pegs. Forgot to include those in my list. You lose track over the years lol

Thanks cogs. That was what I was thinking. I ride almost exclusively two up. The touring isn't as frequent but we do at least 1 3k mile trip a year. I would like to expand on that though.

• Member Contributer

Try the MRA Vario adjustable screen. Although I don't adjust it much, its versatile so you can lower it on hot days and raise it when its raining or you want more wind protection. Reasonably priced and they work great. You can see pics of it on my 6th gen in my gallery.

If you do raise the bars even higher, watch your brake line length and that you don't hit the fairing. There isnt alot of room to raise the bars much further.

I found that by pulling them back slightly that seemed to help with my comfort on the highway.

• Member Contributer

That's not a easy decision Vulgar, especially as you are the only one who really knows your riding requirements, style & how many $$$ you have.

The ST would be my choice for touring/2-up if that is your majority riding & you can afford one but remember that unless you are very lucky, you will probably have to spend some $ on any new-to-you bike to get it how you want it so make sure you factor that in.

OTOH, the VFR is, imo, the best all-round bike on the planet. It does everything bloody well, so if your balance of riding is shared amongst other things like commuting or weekend scratching, then it would be a better choice than the ST. And to get your current VFR to where you want it wont cost you very much either, plus you know the bike, it's relatively easy to service and will last for years. The ST would do the same but it's easier on a familiar bike.

And you never know, you may win the lottery then you can afford the VFR AND an ST, or Beemer....

There are lots and lots of riders who regret selling their 800s, it seems to be the big lesson.

You mentioned a suspension upgrade for touring. I did that last year. My first few days on the bike after that, the handling improvement was great, making it a much sharper tool in the corners. However, I did also find that the ride was harsher - expansion joints or bumps that previously were soaked up by the softer springs were now feeding back through the pegs, seat and bars. I began to wonder if I could go 300+ miles in a day on it. Turns out the answer was 'yes', and the 20 + pounds of luggage I have on it for trips helps smooth things out.

The Daugherty modifications to the stock suspension upgrades the valving to a higher flow rate. That allows faster compression, meaning the suspension will react to and absorb bumps in the road. This minimizes or eliminates the harshness of bumps. In the stock bike, the spring is not necessarily over-sprung, but it is the poor valving that wants to throw us off of the bike every time we roll over a potato bug.

In your case Cogswell it sounds like either it is over-sprung for you riding solo but appropriate for your fully-loaded bike, or your preload needs adjustment based on the load? If in your travels you are always loaded with luggage/pillion, the spring may be perfect. In my conversations with Jamie , he tends to recommend setups for solo riders, given that we ride most aggressively while solo. Just an FYI to everyone reading this. But then again, if your VFR is 100% touring and loaded down, that is a major consideration when modifying the suspension.

Alternatively, if you replaced the suspension parts, maybe you have a compression setting that can help with the harshness?

Bikes there always something more or new that we think about. If me I would try real hard to find someone with a VFR with upgrade suspension that is close to your weight & if poss test ride, then test ride the other bikes on your list. Go home think about the differences & then you yourself can make an informed decision.

• Member Contributer

If you decide to switch rides, the FJR is by far superior to the ST11/13 Honda's. That opinion was shared by several ST owners, both 11 and 13, who rode my FJR.

Power, weight, Power, handling, Power, seat, Power, heat control, all more better.......... and you won't miss 6th gear. They could have made it with a 3 speed...........

Vulgar, I feel your pain as I went through a very similiar dilemma about a Concours vs the FJR. Last week, I pulled the trigger and traded in the VFR for the connie.

Some of my reason were:

1. I have a work truck so I rarely am able to commute to work on the bike

2. Generally only ride on the weekends out to the mountains with the wife now

3. Comfort for the wife was low on the VFR, high on the connie

4. More power for those occasional uphill passing maneuvers

5. I needed new tires, fluid changes and wanted to put on an exhaust, risers and side cases on the VFR - assume $2000-$4000 for all of this

6. Connie came freshly serviced with everything done, new PR4's, exhaust, risers and side and top case

7. $1250 differential on the trade in for my 08 with 6k miles for the 09 connie with 27k miles

I am sure there will be days where I will miss the VFR, admittedly, I have already started looking for low cost, local bike under $2500 but there is no rush. I imagine I will get an additional bike when the right deal comes along but the deal on the connie was something I just couldn't pass up.

FYI, the new FJR now has 6 gears.

The FJR is really nice, but not a little heavier, a lot heavier. Way more comfortable though. I too was looking at upgrading my 98 for many of the same reasons, but the FJR was too big and heavy for my short legs (I'm 5'5") to commute to work lane splitting here in CA. Also not as sporty. After looking at many bikes, including the '14 interceptor, I did the only upgrade that made sense, a VFR. I'm picking up a new (to me) VFR1200 this weekend. Splits the difference between the VFR800 and the ST1300 IMO. So, have you consider the 1200?

I'm going to try to keep both, but the wife is against it. = (

• Member Contributer

The FJR is really nice, but not a little heavier, a lot heavier. Way more comfortable though. I too was looking at upgrading my 98 for many of the same reasons, but the FJR was too big and heavy for my short legs (I'm 5'5") to commute to work lane splitting here in CA. Also not as sporty. After looking at many bikes, including the '14 interceptor, I did the only upgrade that made sense, a VFR. I'm picking up a new (to me) VFR1200 this weekend. Splits the difference between the VFR800 and the ST1300 IMO. So, have you consider the 1200?

Not to mention that there are some crazy smokin' deals on VFR 1200s at the moment.

Honda is also bringing in the 800 Crossrunner I believe for 2016. That should be a comfortable ride. I honestly don't know much about the bike, other than the motor should be pretty good!

Love the LSL superbike bar kit on my '98. :beer:

Much improved comfort, and I can reach the ground a little easier (short inseam).

• Member Contributer

It's easy to shop for other people. More sporty riding, the VFR. More touring or just transportation, the FJ.

I've had two BMW shaft drives and didn't like that form of power transmission at all in hard cornering. It had nothing to do with the BMW false "epidemic" of rear end failures. I just feel a chain transmits power in a manner I can feel and control better as a system. To each their own. I'll never have another shaft drive but will have another chain drive soon. FWIW.

• Member Contributer

It's easy to shop for other people. More sporty riding, the VFR. More touring or just transportation, the FJ.

I've had two BMW shaft drives and didn't like that form of power transmission at all in hard cornering. It had nothing to do with the BMW false "epidemic" of rear end failures. I just feel a chain transmits power in a manner I can feel and control better as a system. To each their own. I'll never have another shaft drive but will have another chain drive soon. FWIW.

So you will dismiss ALL shaft drives on the basis of one manufacturer not producing one you liked?

Have you ridden the 1200? At least test ride it before you discount it. I've done nearly 1/4 million miles on VFRs and I love the shaft drive on my 1200. Each to their own, as you say, but at least make a decision based upon knowledge, not prejudice.

Not to mention that there are some crazy smokin' deals on VFR 1200s at the moment.

Honda is also bringing in the 800 Crossrunner I believe for 2016. That should be a comfortable ride. I honestly don't know much about the bike, other than the motor should be pretty good!

Crossrunner is an excellent bike. I test rode it when it originally came out with the old engine. With the new one, it will be even better! When it comes time for a new VFR, I will pitch the X against the F and have to make a choice.

• Member Contributer

I love my ST1300, and it is a very capable bike, but it's no VFR... :cool:

In the immortal words (well, kinda!) of Vincent Vega, "It's the little differences. I mean, the ST does the same shit as the VTEC, but it's just...it's just, it's a little different."

Ciao,

Archived