03 Vfr800 Cage

KrazyT3

Join Date04 VFR800

The Strange Bike Stunt Build.

So Im sure some of you seen me complaints about no one willing to build a cage for my bike and although it may not be a "standard" stunt bike, It is what I own and have parts for so this is what I want to build. Ive thought about buying a new bike and what not but its not im my nature to have something others have. I like being different. I also like building. So here is goes....

The bike is a 2003 Honda VFR800. Weighing in at 458lbs dry its a heavy bike for sure. The frame though is strong (well for now) this is a V4 118hp 62ft-lb torque bike. In regard to what is may look like this bike has a top speed of about 162. Lots of low end torque that falls off in the upper rpm ranges. Probably why this bike is not popular with the young riders. Either way Ive owned 3 different generations and love the bike. So past all this lets get to the good stuff. Im building my own cage. Got the dust knocked off the pipe bender and got the welder set just right and away we go. O wait plus I ordered some DOM tubing. A buddy owns a metal shop so I got 20ft of 1 1/8" .065 wall Dom tubing. Although it could be thicker this is just a first cage. After I get it set and right I will put my measurements into an AutoCAD drawing so I can copy these plans with the 1 1/2" bar at a later date.. I will also be making a sub frame cage for this bike as well. Hopefully this summer I will be doing the 08-11 cbr1000 sub frame swap and can find some already fabed sub cage and tail saver for it
So to start I snapped a photo took the fairings off and did a not so great drawing. Lets just call it a rough draft.

After pulling the fairings off I can see I will have a plate mounted towards the back and one impact tube mounted to the frame. The farthest forward mount will be under the radiator (VFRs have a radiator mounted on each side of the bike not in front.) but will not be connected to the frame. There is no mounting points in the front so I will be running a bar from each side to separate the load across the cages. This may also be a weak point but it may save the bike in the instance of a larger than usual impact.

After playing with some bends and tack welds. This is where I am at so far. After a shortage of argon I have stopped until this weekend. Hopefully I will get some gas (insert bad jokes here) and will get this project finished this coming weekend.
Just a hanging update. Still no gas. Apparently my bottle has a leak in the neck. so they are finding me a new bottle. Hopefully they will just hook a brother up with a bigger bottle!. Last night I grabbed the trusty mechanic wire and set the front pegs where they look good. They will cover the radiators as well so with solid welds I should be protecting the radiators as well. Win Win. Hopefully I will be able to finish the welding up this weekend. Then I can try my luck at powder coating. Got my hands on a loaner powder coat machine (Harbor Freight) and my oven! Lol ok ok at least I can say I tried. If it doesnt work ill pull out the HD paint from my work. (CAT paint is super thick and super durable..)

So I finally finished this bad boy up and got it all painted. I'm extremely pleased with the way it came out and how strong it is.. I do need to cut the extra tube off and add the sliders and then it will be 100%. But for know it looks great to me. Next project is A subframe cage..

post-31618-0-91340200-1453076772.jpg

post-31618-0-44498500-1453076830.png

post-31618-0-38729600-1453076937.png

post-31618-0-59359700-1453077095.jpg

post-31618-0-92727100-1453077161.jpg

post-31618-0-77041600-1453077432.jpg

post-31618-0-90961900-1453077484.jpg

post-31618-0-48879000-1453077527.jpg

My 5th gen vfr is a streetfighter. I like the cage.

you can move remove the side rads for one front mount, might be helpful for stunt work.

• Member Contributer

118 hp &62 ft -lbs of torque... that's impressive, what work have you done to the engine?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

118 hp &62 ft -lbs of torque... that's impressive, what work have you done to the engine?

Indeed, given that the average 6th Gen VFR dynos at about 100 HP max and around 56 ft. lbs.

Stunting. LOL. Whatever.

If you dont like it move on. Negativity is not needed. You like your style of riding i like my style.

Thanks for your comment!

Indeed, given that the average 6th Gen VFR dynos at about 100 HP max and around 56 ft. lbs.

Motor work that has been done. Valve, Head cleaned up and shaved, Velocity stacks. Custom intake.( aluminum box designed with open scoop for added air flow) Dyno run shows number. 117.8 at 9800rpm, 61.4ft lbs torque at 8900rpm.

Thanks for the interest.

• Member Contributer

Motor work that has been done. Valve, Head cleaned up and shaved, Velocity stacks. Custom intake.( aluminum box designed with open scoop for added air flow) Dyno run shows number. 117.8 at 9800rpm, 61.4ft lbs torque at 8900rpm.

Thanks for the interest.

That's impressive.

Would be interested in the details.

A 17 bhp power increase is pretty amazing with that described work. In every other case I have seen where people tried to extract more power from this engine, a lot more effort was expended. A more detailed description of the work, fueling, etc might be very illuminating.

Do you have a dyno chart? I would appreciate a look at the power delivery through the VTEC transition point and on up to maximum hp/torque.

Sorry for the apparent snarkiness on the stunting comment. It's just that I never would have imagined a 6th Gen stunting motorcycle.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the interest.

That's impressive.

Would be interested in the details.

Always interested in more power... I would love to hear the details!

I'm sure I have the dyno info laying around. I bought this bike with it having issues.... a worrying harness later it was running great. Dropped it off at a buddies shop for some tuning and had issues. New head work done it ran better. I'm running 100LL fuel and can pull the bazzaz numbers for tuning if that week also help someone. Let me buzz through the photos and see about getting a new thread started. Always like to show my progress. As for parts. Nothing new other than valves and springs.. intake was opened up wroth a little Dremel action. Timing was adjusted. Tuning is a little on the lean side as she runs a tad hot.

I never got a base run before work just from start of tune to final production

I haven't found anything on this yet. I would be interested in it. What radiator did they use? I wonder if there was clearance issues with it?

Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I remember reading the thread, or one of the threads, as I am sure there are a few. . . . Was the front mounted radiator from a TL?

Try here: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/82387-2015-retro-fit-cooling-system/?hl=%2Bfront+%2Bradiator

Just skimmed it, but this might be it

I am hoping for more info on boosting my 6th Gen VFR's power to 118 HP and 60+ ft./lbs. with just valves and springs and an airbox Dremel mod. Help me out here. How can I get me some of that? My 6th gen dynos at slightly over 100 HP. A 20 percent increase in HP sounds great. Don't keep the Dark Secrets a secret! We are a family!

I haven't found anything on this yet. I would be interested in it. What radiator did they use? I wonder if there was clearance issues with it?

Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

I used the top rad from a Suzuki TL1000R, modified a bit.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/76261-vfr8-streetfighter/page-1

And reed used a rad from an sv 650. look up veefer madness. I think.

I am hoping for more info on boosting my 6th Gen VFR's power to 118 HP and 60+ ft./lbs. with just valves and springs and an airbox Dremel mod. Help me out here. How can I get me some of that? My 6th gen dynos at slightly over 100 HP. A 20 percent increase in HP sounds great. Don't keep the Dark Secrets a secret! We are a family!

Occam's razor says those numbers are not correct. Perhaps a hinkey dyno.

I have often thought that the 6th Gen would be perfect with smooth power through the VTEC transition and low-end torque and a 20 percent increase in HP. The perfect motorcycle! I have achieved the smooth VTEC transition with a capable dynotuner. Still searching for the low-end grunt and the 20% increase in HP.

Help!

Ignition timing adjustment will get you the low end and a real full exhaust system/air box mods/tuning will get you to maybe 10%, but for a 20% bump in top end, you will need to pull the motor out and apart.

Archived