Best Way To Dry Gear?

BikerJoe

Hey guys and gals,

Went for a spin today to get fresh tyres (Bridgestone BTO23s front and back) and got drowned on the way to and from the place I got them and I was wondering what is the best way to dry your gear.

Just leaving the jacket and pants drip dry at the mo and the gloves on a radiator, don't need them straight away (I'll prob take the cage to work on monday) but I just want to dry them out properly and not crack any leather of anything.

• Member Contributer

Only dry your gloves really slowly ie low radiator heat especially if they are all leather. Jacket and pants can be tumble dried on a low heat. Check the labels inside.

Ps i was in Donegal last week and also got soaked. Down your end was bad.

Got drenched! mad thing was it was sunny when I left home (Killarney) but by the time I got to macroom the heavens had opened! Stopped raining for a bit when I was getting the tyres fitted in Lee Honda Centre but started raining again shortly after I left, couldn't feel my fingers or toes by the time I got home!

• Member Contributer

Hang your gear and point a ventilator on it, swinging left to right.

• Member Contributer

I live in Oregon's wet wonderland. Our family is a big believer in boot dryers like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-Original-2-Shoe-Electric/dp/B001J4HQ76

They function like a very low intensity blow-dryer (low heat, almost imperceptible airflow). Two to four hours and your boots (or gloves) are good to go. Also works great for hiking shoes, running shoes, etc.

• Member Contributer

From what I heard from someone who rode in the rain a lot, stuff newspaper inside the gloves, it will absorb the water. Works for boots as well. Leave it in over night and should be dry in the morning.

• Member Contributer

From what I heard from someone who rode in the rain a lot, stuff newspaper inside the gloves, it will absorb the water. Works for boots as well. Leave it in over night and should be dry in the morning.

Excellent idea .

• Member Contributer

When I wash my pants/jacket (about once every other riding season) I just hang it on a heavy duty hanger and put an oscillating fan in front of it and it dries pretty quickly. Newspaper in the sleeves and legs helps some too. Same with washing the inside of my helmet. I just prop it up at an angle on the dining room table and let the fan run on it over night - fully dried in the morning. I'll also stuff some dryer sheets in there periodically to keep things fresh smelling.

• Member Contributer

It all depends upon the relative humidity of the air in which you are trying to dry them. If it is a high humidity, they will take ages to dry, low humidity should be quicker - simple physics. And that should be almost irrespective of the temperature of the heat you are using. But as has been said, there are materials/clothes that will be damaged over time by high temperature so check the manufacturers label, boring though that is, as they know the best way to dry their kit.

The newspaper idea is good as it removes moisture without damaging due to temperature but still relies on evaporation as well.

Never (simple home rule) dry leather gloves on a radiator (or anything leather really).

Basically gentle heat should be fine for most occasions, supplemented by newspaper etc wont hurt.

JMHO

• Member Contributer

A young boy scout once dried his ex army leather boots (he bought from an army surplus store) in front of a fire.

So he went to the store once more...

Pants and Jacket are dry now but gloves still a bit wet, left them in the sitting room on the back of a chair and the gloves over the fire place, I'd leave them outside but it's freezing out so don't they they'd dry much if at all!

• Member Contributer

Save a few of the desiccant bags from whatever you have consumed that have them (electronics and similar items are usually good for larger bags) and drop one inside each glove to help dry after normal use.

Regarding leather gloves (and not entirely on topic) they usually breakdown and rot in the palms from the salt in your sweat. many quality leather glove manufacturers instruct you to put on the gloves and wash them as though you are washing your hands with a mild detergent, then air dry.

I applaud the newspaper idea and will steal that one as well.

BikerJoe,

You can use toilet paper tubes, or a paper towel tube cut in half, inserted into gloves to stand them upright in front of a fan to speed things up a bit.

If you have forced air heating, with a floor vent, you can sit them on the vent unless the air is too hot, to help things along a bit. Virtually any moving air, as long as it is not too hot, will speed the drying process.

LH

Once the leather dries, treat it with some Lexol or mink oil, or your choice of leather preserving goo. :cool:

• Member Contributer

When I wash my pants/jacket (about once every other riding season) I just hang it on a heavy duty hanger and put an oscillating fan in front of it and it dries pretty quickly. Newspaper in the sleeves and legs helps some too. Same with washing the inside of my helmet. I just prop it up at an angle on the dining room table and let the fan run on it over night - fully dried in the morning. I'll also stuff some dryer sheets in there periodically to keep things fresh smelling.

I'll vote for this one. I had had great luck with fans and they will dry quickly without using potentially damaging heat.

• 3 months later...

first chance at sunny dry weather, put on wet/damp gear ..yes it feels like shite...mount bike with jacket unzipped and any venting it may have opened ...same with pants.

enjoy the 1 or 2 hour ramble until comfort is restored ... about the only way I know of when tour/camping ... cause fans, heaters, de-hu's etc. are fugly things to pack on  vfr.

• 6 months later...

As I recall from the Held website they say to not put leather gloves near a heat source of any kind.  Just to leave them out to air dry after you have put them on once to get the pre-curve back into them.  Every season I do that with all of my gloves.  Once they are dry I put them on and use leather conditioning spooge on them.  It's easier to get good coverage when you have them on your hand I find.

Archived