6Th Gen Exhaust Modification

robbo

Hi

I've always loved the look of the standard pipes but I missed the sound of that V4 growl so I've decided to modify my baffle with great results.

Firstly i cut to the inner side of the end welds with a 1mm cutting disc

post-27336-0-11303600-1452281023.jpg

Then pulled the baffles out in one piece using some grips

post-27336-0-76452700-1452281093.jpg

I then cut all of the pipes from both of the end plates

post-27336-0-04003600-1452281181.jpg

and then ground the end plates flat from any welds

post-27336-0-74740400-1452281258.jpg

I then welded the original pipe hole up (centre) and made 2 new 33mm holes in it to match the opposite end plate

post-27336-0-39694200-1452281419.jpg

I then inserted 2 x 32.7mm perforated tubes and welded them to the end plates

post-0-0-62220300-1452282580.jpg

post-0-0-70875900-1452282606.jpg

I then wrapped the perforated tube in proper baffle wadding (sorry I forgot to take a pic of this) and reinserted the baffles and welded up.

post-0-0-22613600-1452282668.jpg

post-27336-0-11763400-1452281664.jpg

I then Sand blasted the whole exhaust ans sprayed in high temp black paint

post-0-0-97927800-1452282799.jpg

post-0-0-92991300-1452282935.jpg

Refitted heat shields and then refitted to the bike

post-0-0-09830500-1452282995.jpg

post-0-0-26443800-1452283018.jpg

post-0-0-82869400-1452283037.jpg

The results were just what I was looking for, you can hear the lovely V4 sound but without it being too loud

I'll post a video up soon, weathers been so rubbish that I haven't had a chance to get out on it, I wanted to get one going through the gears instead of just revving it up on the stand.

• Member Contributer

I'll post a video up soon, weathers been so rubbish that I haven't had a chance to get out on it, I wanted to get one going through the gears instead of just revving it up on the stand.

10-4 ..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I don't have any of the requisite skills to do something like that.....so I bought a 2nd-hand set of Staintunes and ride with the spuds out! :beer:

You did a way better job than I sir, well done!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80300-6th-gen-new-way-to-modify-the-exhaust-3-baffle-to-1/

How do you like the sound? I've had nothing but complements and absolutely love it!

I like your version too, I think the way that you placed the perf tube over the exit tubes is better.

I tried to weld some new tubes on but they did not line up with the back cover so I left them out, however I've got another set to modify now so I will do what you did there.

Did you notice the perforated plate at the start of the Baffle? were you tempted to remove that too? I

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80300-6th-gen-new-way-to-modify-the-exhaust-3-baffle-to-1/

How do you like the sound? I've had nothing but complements and absolutely love it!

Love the sound of it, I too get the popping under deceleration but I love that part of it the most :)

• Member Contributer

I did notice that plate actually, and was tempted to remove it as well. I ended up leaving it as it looked like I would need a welder to make it happen, something I don't have.
I was going to say the same thing about the way you welded everything up perfectly! Wayyy cleaner than using pop rivets.. I've noticed that I'll get a tin-ey rattle at idle sometimes which I'm sure is because of the pop-rivets.

If I did it again, I would look at installing a stainless baffle in the middle to support the perforated pipes and provide a resonance chamber to help reduce the drone at highway speed. I'ld also look at packing it with stainless steel wool to help clean up the sound.

In Alberta, we have a law where you cannot increase the size of the muffler outlet or have vehicles above 93 decibels, so maintaining the stock look was the biggest thing for me, and I think this type of modification is the best balance of better exhaust sound without the annoying volume of an aftermarket system. It also retains the option of fitting the stock panniers.

Here's a video of a ride today so you can hear the sound

I like your version too, I think the way that you placed the perf tube over the exit tubes is better.
I tried to weld some new tubes on but they did not line up with the back cover so I left them out, however I've got another set to modify now so I will do what you did there.

Did you notice the perforated plate at the start of the Baffle? were you tempted to remove that too? I

Love the sound of it, I too get the popping under deceleration but I love that part of it the most :)

Sounds good mate, I haven't had the chance to do a video yet as the weather over here is just torrential rain all the bloody time, I'm hoping I'll get a break in the next few days tho.

You mentioned in and earlier post that you'd look at packing it with stainless steel wool to help clean up the sound. Do not do this what ever you do, believe it or not, steel wool is flammable and will catch fire in your exhaust and spit the remainder of whats left out the back. Use proper exhaust wadding.

• Member Contributer

Sounds good mate, I haven't had the chance to do a video yet as the weather over here is just torrential rain all the bloody time, I'm hoping I'll get a break in the next few days tho.

You mentioned in and earlier post that you'd look at packing it with stainless steel wool to help clean up the sound. Do not do this what ever you do, believe it or not, steel wool is flammable and will catch fire in your exhaust and spit the remainder of whats left out the back. Use proper exhaust wadding.

Good to know about the Stainless Steel Wool, I will definitely use the proper wadding If I choose to go that route.

I hope you can get out to record a video soon!

Archived