12Oclocklabs Speedodrd

tbzep

• Member Contributer

My recently acquired 2007 Anniversary bike came with a 45 tooth rear sprocket. In addition to the regular speedo error, this increased it even more. With my other VFR's (2004 and 2008), I've always just done the math in my head. However, I hate math and the sprocket puts more miles on the odo that I'm actually running.

For the first time since Al Gore invented the internet, I decided to put on a speedometer correction device. The unit that everybody's heard of is Healtech's Speedo Healer. However, there are other options. I chose 12oclockLabs SpeedoDRD for three reasons.

1. It's cheaper

2. It costs less

3. I didn't pay as much

The unit doesn't look like much at first glance, however, it is completely sealed and does its job well. Programming is simple. Installation is stupid simple. I purchased my SpeedoDRD from WickedRacing via eBay for $70 shipped. The best price I could find on the Speedo Healer was $110. Since there hasn't been much written about the SpeedoDRD, I thought I'd give it a try and review it.

Installation:

Pull off your left side fairing.

Optional: Remove the coolant overflow bottle.

Trace the speedo sensor cable back to the connectors. The speedo sensor is the TDK unit sitting right beside the clutch slave.

The connectors on 2007 and up 6th gens are at the lower front of the engine, tucked in a large plastic cover.

The connectors on 2002-2006 are tucked behind the frame above the TDK speedo sensor, IIRC.

Pull the connectors apart and snap them into the SpeedoDRD.

Run the SpeedoDRD somewhere that you can access it.

Put everything back together.

This took me less than 10 minutes, including hunting down a screw that bounced away and ended up under the other VFR's cover.

The only negative I can give on this little unit is the length of the cable. For the 2007 and up models, it isn't long enough to leave the unit under the seat, which would be the obvious location to access without having to remove the fairing every time. For the 2002-2006 models, the cable should be plenty long to place it under the seat. This negative for my 2007 bike actually made me decide on a location that I can access without even removing the seat. I ran it up to the fairing bracket that sits right below the VIN plate on the frame. The unit just sits behind there minding its own business, protected by the fairing. If I want to access it to look at the saved max speed or to reprogram it, I just reach in and flip it out. The unit is sealed from the weather by heavy clear plastic so it should do fine there.

Programming:

Verify how far off your speedo is. I used a nice phone app called Ulysse Speedometer.

Turn the key on.

Hold down the button and watch the LEDs flash as indicated by the instructions.

Let go of the button.

Rinse and repeat a couple more times as indicated by instructions (written and video on website).

I needed negative 9.5% programmed into mine to cover the OEM error and the larger rear sprocket together.

sdrd_dark.jpg

sdrd_back-500x500.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure I remember SSBurns programming one at TMAC this year on his 4th gen.

I'm sure a few members are using them. It's been around a few years. I just thought it was time to give it a proper review on its own thread while the install was fresh on my mind. If you do a full search, it has only been mentioned 5 or 6 times and those posts have almost no detailed info in them.

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure I remember SSBurns programming one at TMAC this year on his 4th gen.

I'm sure a few members are using them. It's been around a few years. I just thought it was time to give it a proper review on its own thread while the install was fresh on my mind. If you do a full search, it has only been mentioned 5 or 6 times and those posts have almost no detailed info in them.

I've got one on my 5th gen, located under the seat by the left side of the battery. Works great... set it and forget it years ago. Speedometer is dead on based on GPS and Doppler radar confirmation.

I thought I had written a short write-up on it back then but it may have just been another comment in a thread... kinda like this one :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I've got one on my 5th gen, located under the seat by the left side of the battery. Works great... set it and forget it years ago. Speedometer is dead on based on GPS and Doppler radar confirmation.

I thought I had written a short write-up on it back then but it may have just been another comment in a thread... kinda like this one :goofy:

You commented on a thread started by Burns asking about the unit. In fact, that post was pivotal in my decision to buy one. If you did a thread on it, it may have been trashed when the system went down a few years ago. I know I lost several hundred posts.

I've got one of these on my CBR. It's tiny and sits tucked away out of sight. The programming is a bit odd (just one button and one led) but not too hard to figure out. Set it once and forget about it.

Edited by checksix

• Member Contributer

yea, got one last year... once I got the hang of the doing the calculations, it was a snap... don't know why I didn't add one years ago.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for reminding me. I think I still have one of these nib that I never used and need to sell.

I might just be interested...

• Member Contributer

Why? They are $70 shipped from Wicked Racing via eBay and the website.

• Member Contributer

Why? They are $70 shipped from Wicked Racing via eBay and the website.

There you go ...

Question for those that are using this. When correct the speed display, does it affect the Odometer reading? In other words, does it throw the ODO off. I ask because my speedo (6th gen stock sprockets) appears 10 percent fast but the ODO seems near perfect. Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

Question for those that are using this. When correct the speed display, does it affect the Odometer reading? In other words, does it throw the ODO off. I ask because my speedo (6th gen stock sprockets) appears 10 percent fast but the ODO seems near perfect. Thoughts?

Manufactures get the odometers pretty much spot on all the time but vary widely on speedometers. In fact, I've owned three 6th gen bikes (2004, 2007, 2008) and all three were off by a different percentage with OEM sprockets, but all have had accurate odometers. The aftermarket sprocket made the speedometer and odometer innacurate at the same time. The SpeedoDRD and Speedo Healer both will allow you to be accurate with one or the other, but not both. In other words, with your OEM sprockets, you can keep an accurate odometer with your 10% speed error, or you can fix your speed error and end up with about 10% lower reading on mileage.

• Member Contributer

I don't understand. How can the speedo accuracy change but not the odometer? They're both driven by counting revolutions of the output sprocket.

I didn't say that. I said you can make one accurate, but not both. The odomoter is inherently accurate on the VFR if you are running stock gearing. If you fix the speedo, your odo will become inaccurate. If you change sprockets, both speed and distance will be off. You can fix one or the other, but not both.

• Member Contributer

I don't understand. How can the speedo accuracy change but not the odometer? They're both driven by counting revolutions of the output sprocket.

They may be counting the same revolutions, but the output is different due to the software involved.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Odometers are generally more accurate because of mileage warranties, reads low they lose money, reads high they get sued and lose money; speedometers usually read higher than actual because of liability, you'll never get in trouble for showing someone speed as high, show someones speed as low and they crash or get a ticket and the manufacturer gets sued and lose money... it's driven by money and legal ramifications.

Edited by Rush2112
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

I've had five fifth gens. At 70 mph they were all between 8% and 9% high. (With no music to distract I do math in my head when I have the spare brain power.)

I'd have no problem with a odo that was understated.

They may be counting the same revolutions, but the output is different due to the software involved.

Ok, I get it now. The factory electronics take a single signal from the sprocket and calculate two different quantities: speed and mileage. The mileage is exact but the displayed speed is (say) 5% too high, presumably as a favor to the consumer to reduce speeding tickets (or whatever). So without modifying the electronics you can only correct one or the other, not both.

• Member Contributer

Ok, I get it now. The factory electronics take a single signal from the sprocket and calculate two different quantities: speed and mileage. The mileage is exact but the displayed speed is (say) 5% too high, presumably as a favor to the consumer to reduce speeding tickets (or whatever). So without modifying the electronics you can only correct one or the other, not both.

Yes. These aftermarket trinkets modify the signal that goes to both the speedo and the odometer.