Steering Stem Tool 07916- 3710101 Replacement

fonque

Useful but not really necessary to do what needs to be done to service the stem and bearings. The castellated nuts are not on very tight, and a few taps with a hammer and screwdriver will back them off. :sleep:

Don't use a hammer and screw driver. Buy the right tool when you need it. I'm pretty sure the referenced ebay item is the correct size, I bought a similar one a few years ago and it fit fine. I used it exactly once, but knew that I was setting the correct torque when putting the nut back on, rather than guessing with a hammer.

• Member Contributer

I have a 07916-3710100 here (07916-3710101 has the same dimensions), and it's 50mm OD, 42mm ID. Which one you need I don't know, but the Honda tool is not the same as the eBay one.

Ciao,

Well I ended up buying one on ebay. I'll let you know if it works.

I did the drift and hammer method many times on my cx500 for both the rear wheel bearing and the head bearing. It really does damage the part because the aluminum is so soft. I also tried using a pin lock wrench a few times, but it just doesn't bite very well. It slips out of place alot!

• Member Contributer

Wow, how many times do you guys adjust your steering stem nut? I've done mine once in 40,000 miles, and that was when I replaced the OEM with tapered roller bearings. A hammer and drift works for me. If I did it frequently I might use a tool designed for the job, but...

I ended up buying the tool. Figured as much as I work on bikes it would be worth it in the long run. I've used it on my bike and my girlfriend's for sure. Also used it on a buddy's Superhawk. Might have used it on my Superhawk too, can't remember for sure though.

• Member Contributer

Wow, how many times do you guys adjust your steering stem nut? I've done mine once in 40,000 miles, and that was when I replaced the OEM with tapered roller bearings. A hammer and drift works for me. If I did it frequently I might use a tool designed for the job, but...

I never pass up an opportunity to buy a new tool!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Okay, you got me there. :beer:

Ciao,

My barn is to damm small to store al my tools in a proper manner but i still buy tools when i need them (or think i need them :tongue2: )

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Okay, you got me there. :beer:

Check mine every other year . Done in 2015 so 2017 is next .

Archived