Keb & Dave's Daily Dragon Ride Report! Lol

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Damn, boarder Security is very lax these days! :goofy:

BTW I have a quote from Fontana Village as an option and the Cross Location is just a few hundred yards from the entrance to Fontana Village on 28.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/

They are NOT cheap, but have many options from camp sites, lodge rooms to cabins. Lodge rooms with two queens are $99. No i'm not talking about Timmy & Keith! :491:

They also have a gas station & general store on site.

Papers, I half ze right pay-pazz. :biggrin:

Fontana is within a few dollars of being the same for a shared room in the lodge with the (leveraged purchase) price of the Microtel. Microtels are always a few dollars cheaper than other chain options in every market I've priced. This Franklin Microtel isn't so much cheaper anymore and they are making a previously easy choice not so easy.

The Franklin Microtel has a fantastic location for West/East and South riding options but based purely on them now competing with everyone in the area I would be interested in exploring other options like Fontana where the $/amenities ratio is now looking better.

- Have to assume Fontana management would frown on late night Lazy River races. Sure. (But would they call the riot police and would they use that reactive simming pool dye in the Lazy River water? :unsure2:)

I agree that the Village is looking more and more like a value compared to the new prices at the Microtel. I would like to see all the Fontana Village options priced here. The lodge, the hotel rooms and cabins should provide something for every budget.

what about bryson city or cherokee.

stayed here and rooms were small but newly renovated in bryson

https://www.choicehotels.com/north-carolina/bryson-city/sleep-inn-hotels/nc024?source=gglocaljn

Cherokee traffic is always a zoo...more so on this weekend.

Baileyrock - thanks again for leading this event - no-one will ever appreciate what is involved untl they try to organize such an event - so don't get discouraged!

My plan at the moment is to arrive the previous Saturday/Sunday - and have the week to ride around - allowing for the occasional rain day without freaking out........ I have my usual group of miscreants lined up to Honey Badger all week - and usually we rent a cottage/cabin/brothel for the week - then mosy over to the hotel for Friday and Saturday night.

Having said all that - we will hold off renting the cabin till TMAC 16' destination is nailed down.

Thanks for not changing the dates - that would have wrecked me.......

Here is the Fontana pricing and options.

VFRD- Contract 2016.zip

Like mentioned from others I do like multiple dinner options and having FATS next door to the Franklin Microtel. Especially with most members DRINKING a few, I think the Less required driving the better especially on our bikes. This makes a place like the Franklin Microtel or other motel in a full functioning town has over a place like Fontana.

• Member Contributer

At FATS, do stay away from what they call a Ceasar Salad....... the chef who dares calling it that deserves to be thrown for the lion in the Coliseum :-)

But then again, salads are for pussies Colin Edwards would say :goofy:

Yours truly,

the 2012 breakfast waffle maker

• Member Contributer

Well I might just call the new owner again in Franklin about pricing again. I just got off the phone with Sue at the Robbinsville Microtel(where this event started) and their prices for the same dates for Any day of the week are:

Doubles -- $76.46

Singles --- $67.45

Suites ----- $85.46 these have a Queen bed and sofa sleeper.

They only have 11 doubles, 9 singles and 8 suites left for Sat. May 28th.

What about the weekend before or after?

I think too many folks from all over have already applied for Vacation for these dates so they will NOT change this year.

Well I might just call the new owner again in Franklin about pricing again. I just got off the phone with Sue at the Robbinsville Microtel(where this event started) and their prices for the same dates for Any day of the week are:

Doubles -- $76.46

Singles --- $67.45

Suites ----- $85.46 these have a Queen bed and sofa sleeper.

They only have 11 doubles, 9 singles and 8 suites left for Sat. May 28th.

What about the weekend before or after?

Likely better for traffic and fewer vacationers too. It will be a cop-fest Memorial Day weekend. That's OK. I know which group will be "the rabbit".....

Jim, we've done Memorial Week/weekend for the last 3 years w/o issue.

Good enough for me. I may have a new red '14 next week....I hope. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I will either get to ride the dragon with my Dad May 7-14 or go to TMAC... So many choices, so few vacation days :/

Texans at T-Mac! What is the world coming to?!

Welcome, hope you can make it.

• Member Contributer

Not too many alternatives at this late date. Either bite the price bullet and stay at the Franklin Microtel over Memorial Day weekend. Love FATZ restaurant, KART racing and area. Or Check Robbinsville Microtel for June 2-5 for about 50 rooms. I am good for either weekend.

Thanks for doing this again Kevin.

• Member Contributer

- that would have wrecked me.......

I really wish I knew how to photoshop your face into this pic right now.

miley_cyrus_wrecking_ball.jpg

Its bad enough ,that it has her face on it !

• Member Contributer

So stateside you didnot get the original video?

How can that be?

If I am to believe squirelman (or Trump), freedom of speech must be protected to the point (and beyond) of offensive... :goofy:

This is not offensive, simply nice to look at!

miley-cyrus-wrecking-ball-music-video.jp

Oh hold on!!!

Gender equality!!!

Ox72mHQxhv4l.jpg

I do feel a topic purge coming soon......... :wacko:

• Member Contributer

It pains me to no end that Mylie is wearing the exact boots I have been wearing since childhood.

and that she still looks like a 12 year old boy but you and I have, alas, grown older. :goofy: so I don't find her offensive (with the sound off) nor do I find her nice to look at as I am not into naked 12 year old boys.

• Member Contributer

Nah.... Give us one of your purges BR, no problem.

Case of "Blurred Lines"....... Cabin fever and all that....

(or in CC's case, blurred vision :goofy: 12yr old boy my .....)

Alternatively, just say "ok guys, you are wrecking my ball now, just delete your off topic posts". I will do so np.

Cabin fever and tmac envy and all that.... :-)

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty sure BR will start an official T-Mac thread. This one has ben fun. While I do not have Dutchy's envy, I have a cabin fever infection.

• Member Contributer

Welcome. Time was just not on our side especially with this large a group. More expensive, but it is a beautiful area. Count me in again. It is 19 degrees Farenheit as I write this at the moment. I'm ready for TMAC.

BTW: I put new Michelin Pilot Road 4 on last year before TMAC. They don't even appear to be half worn. Rode same mileage last year as I did previous year on PR 3. I will not be putting on a new set of tires this year. Intermediate skill level, no knee dragging.

All this talk of TMAC, tires and mountain views is making me want to watch Sweeper's Fall Ride video and any Flat Black Studios production again (and again, and again - currently under snow squall watch and there will be a low of -26degC/-15degF over the next few days).

C'mon May!

Three months. I can last three months. :laughing6-hehe:

Archived