Keb & Dave's Daily Dragon Ride Report! Lol

• Forum CEO

Well we dont have to stay in Franklin at all! We started out in Robbinsville remember? Maybe further north along 23, get us closer to some of those fine roads further east and open up new routes for us all to do! I was just looking there are lots more options if we go north along hwy 74 or 23 up around Cherokee or near the Wheels Thru time museum.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Well we dont have to stay in Franklin at all! We started out in Robbinsville remember? Maybe further north along 23, get us closer to some of those fine roads further east and open up new routes for us all to do! I was just looking there are lots more options if we go north along hwy 74 or 23 up around Cherokee or near the Wheels Thru time museum.

I like the idea of Maggie Valley. Close to the cross site and a neat little town as well. The town isn't dry so that's a plus and there's some nice little motels on the main drag. If y'all want, I'll make some calls around Franklin, Maggie Valley, and anywhere else anyone can think of to see what's available either this year or for the future. I'm fairly close and don't mind scouting locations either. Just let me know.

• Member Contributer

Ironhorse lodge seems like it might be close to fitting the bill, although there are some very important drawbacks / questions. http://ironhorsenc.com/

1. Dry county - can we import alcohol?

2. Cabins that sleep up to 10 people along with smaller cabins - not sure how we divide everyone up. Maybe a call to them would allow them to explain if they can host large groups of people?

3. The name seems a little more geared towards H-D's, but I am sure any type of motorcycle is welcome. Looks like they had a Triumph gathering there by looking at the pictures.

4. Some gravel / dirt roads?

Looks like they do have a nice place to eat though and lots of room for the group.

You may have written this place off, but I have stayed here a night or two the last two years on my fall rides. It is a pretty big place, several large group cabins and a couple of "Motel" cabins, a big main meeting hall where they feed you dinner and breakfast (if you sign up and pay) and a large out door fire pit for gathering and telling "I could almost keep up with Rossi" stories... The front section is all paved, the back area parking is gravel (a few covered spots), but they have air for tires, camping spaces and camper trailer hook ups. I think TMAC would take over 75% of the place, but it would be a good place to have it. We brought beer in, I don't think they discourage it in any way. There is a little dive dinner down the road, maybe 2 miles which has pretty good food.

Of course Maggie Valley would be great too, Wheels Through Time is a must stop there.

Ironhorse lodge seems like it might be close to fitting the bill, although there are some very important drawbacks / questions. http://ironhorsenc.com/

1. Dry county - can we import alcohol?

2. Cabins that sleep up to 10 people along with smaller cabins - not sure how we divide everyone up. Maybe a call to them would allow them to explain if they can host large groups of people?

3. The name seems a little more geared towards H-D's, but I am sure any type of motorcycle is welcome. Looks like they had a Triumph gathering there by looking at the pictures.

4. Some gravel / dirt roads?

Looks like they do have a nice place to eat though and lots of room for the group.

You may have written this place off, but I have stayed here a night or two the last two years on my fall rides. It is a pretty big place, several large group cabins and a couple of "Motel" cabins, a big main meeting hall where they feed you dinner and breakfast (if you sign up and pay) and a large out door fire pit for gathering and telling "I could almost keep up with Rossi" stories... The front section is all paved, the back area parking is gravel (a few covered spots), but they have air for tires, camping spaces and camper trailer hook ups. I think TMAC would take over 75% of the place, but it would be a good place to have it. We brought beer in, I don't think they discourage it in any way. There is a little dive dinner down the road, maybe 2 miles which has pretty good food.

Of course Maggie Valley would be great too, Wheels Through Time is a must stop there.

Thanks, but it's in the middle of Nowhere so doesn't work for me!

What I like about an area like Franklin is you can go in any direction and be on nice roads within minutes.

Traffic around areas like Cherokee SUCK. :wacko:

Damn, boarder Security is very lax these days! :goofy:

BTW I have a quote from Fontana Village as an option and the Cross Location is just a few hundred yards from the entrance to Fontana Village on 28.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/

They are NOT cheap, but have many options from camp sites, lodge rooms to cabins. Lodge rooms with two queens are $99. No i'm not talking about Timmy & Keith! :491:

They also have a gas station & general store on site.

Papers, I half ze right pay-pazz. :biggrin:

Fontana is within a few dollars of being the same for a shared room in the lodge with the (leveraged purchase) price of the Microtel. Microtels are always a few dollars cheaper than other chain options in every market I've priced. This Franklin Microtel isn't so much cheaper anymore and they are making a previously easy choice not so easy.

The Franklin Microtel has a fantastic location for West/East and South riding options but based purely on them now competing with everyone in the area I would be interested in exploring other options like Fontana where the $/amenities ratio is now looking better.

- Have to assume Fontana management would frown on late night Lazy River races. Sure. (But would they call the riot police and would they use that reactive simming pool dye in the Lazy River water? :unsure2:)

• Member Contributer

Forgot I was part of the top 1% with our full garage of all purchased new at full MSRP motorcycles. Why don't I just buy out the entire hotel for everyone, and then we can all have a good time. :cool: I might even buy the beer :wink:

TMAC has pretty much been the only day/weekend of the year I get to ride for the last handful of years. With little vacation time to spare, having it over the weekend makes it a lot easier for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is from further away who would agree.

• Member Contributer

Forgot I was part of the top 1% with our full garage of all purchased new at full MSRP motorcycles. Why don't I just buy out the entire hotel for everyone, and then we can all have a good time. :cool: I might even buy the beer :wink:

TMAC has pretty much been the only day/weekend of the year I get to ride for the last handful of years. With little vacation time to spare, having it over the weekend makes it a lot easier for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is from further away who would agree.

I completely agree that more weekend time is better for those farther away. For the record, I am merely advocating for $60 from forum members who barely scrape up enough money to attend, but are unlikely to mention anything for personal reasons. A number of those less financially fortunate forum members are the ones who make the event worth attending.

• Member Contributer

I completely agree that more weekend time is better for those farther away. For the record, I am merely advocating for $60 from forum members who barely scrape up enough money to attend, but are unlikely to mention anything for personal reasons. A number of those less financially fortunate forum members are the ones who make the event worth attending.

Paying a little more and being within walking distance of everything is a big plus.. No worry about how anyone is getting home after the after ride dinner and festivities..

What's really going to hurt this year, is the fact the Canadian dollar is worth about 65 cents US right now at the bank when it comes to exchange it.. But I'll pay the extra to be close to everything..

• Member Contributer

"As you recall the fun you had,

the expense is long forgotten..." .

Some take 6+ years to find enough cash to attend....

and yes it was worth it :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Let's just rent out an entire campground area, put up a couple of big tents and call it a day. People can splurge on a cabin or pinch and put a tent up. Or somebody can invite John McGuinness and see if we can all cram in his monster RV. :fing02: He's a honda guy, right?

http://www.smokymtnmeadows.com/rates.html

BTW I have a quote from Fontana Village as an option and the Cross Location is just a few hundred yards from the entrance to Fontana Village on 28.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/

They are NOT cheap, but have many options from camp sites, lodge rooms to cabins. Lodge rooms with two queens are $99. No i'm not talking about Timmy & Keith! :491:

They also have a gas station & general store on site.

So anyone have a Motel option for us yet? :unsure:

Hampton Inn in Franklin ignored my request for a quote...

I like your Option B... Fontana Village. Do they have enough rooms still available for the dates?

Yes, they have rooms, cabins and camping for all, all I have to do is sign the contract.

Though it's not near as remote as places like the Iron Horse, Fontana while it is a large and nice place it is still semi remote. It does have a store & gas station which is a plus, but it is also a State Park run facility. I'm not sure if they allow drinking???

what about bryson city or cherokee.

stayed here and rooms were small but newly renovated in bryson

https://www.choicehotels.com/north-carolina/bryson-city/sleep-inn-hotels/nc024?source=gglocaljn

I generally try to avoid places like Cherokee and such because of trafic and other BS, but i'm willing to consider all options. Another town the size of Franklin brings more eating options.

Kevin - Now you know what the expression "herding cats" means. As one who has been sorta rich and very poor, an extra $60 for a great location is a "no brainer". I've stayed at almost every one of the suggested options, and they all suck. Man up, grow a pair - Final answer: Microtel in Franklin. Enough posts. I mean - FATZ is right next door. Get drunk, eat a great meal and walk home.

Just saying' !!!

• Member Contributer

Kevin - Now you know what the expression "herding cats" means. As one who has been sorta rich and very poor, an extra $60 for a great location is a "no brainer". I've stayed at almost every one of the suggested options, and they all suck. Man up, grow a pair - Final answer: Microtel in Franklin. Enough posts. I mean - FATZ is right next door. Get drunk, eat a great meal and walk home.

Just saying' !!!

Agreed. All brainstorming aside, I say we keep Franklin Microtel as is - primarily due to convenience for this year.

The *cough cough* BMW riders seem to enjoy Fontana in the past and more recently Tapoco. The overhead pics are definitely more impressive and where else can you watch whitewater kayaking?

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=56119

• Member Contributer

Yeah, it may be too late to change this year anyway. I'm liking the idea of Fontana Village more and more. I really like all the various options from tenting to cabin rental. For us monetarily impaired that don't mind camping, to the guys that usually rent cabins anyway seems like a perfect place. I'm sure we can have a semi-sober meeting to discuss the various options that are in the area at this years extravaganza.

Just saying' !!!

Agreed. All brainstorming aside, I say we keep Franklin Microtel as is - primarily due to convenience for this year.

The *cough cough* BMW riders seem to enjoy Fontana in the past and more recently Tapoco. The overhead pics are definitely more impressive and where else can you watch whitewater kayaking?

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=56119

Hahaha - it could be the BMW guys may just like it for reason #4, below

from Steve's iBMW link,"Here's what you can expect for 2016..

1. All cabins will have a small fridge, coffee maker, and microwave. Many will have hot tubs installed by rally time or so they tell me.

2. While it is a dry county... the Tapoco now has a liquor license. They have a full wet bar near the lobby and a beer and wine bar in the lower level SlickRock restaurant.

3. While our group didn't use this last year, the lodge now has a theater up on the hill with seating for 50+ people and what looked to be a 10-12ft screen for any ride videos. The staff would set it up for us and help with viewing format and equipment at no charge...

4. Longer lasting erections." end quote.

I'm fine with whatever location Kevin and his team want to to pitch their tent.

Tapoco sounds good too. Reason #4 aside.

Well I might just call the new owner again in Franklin about pricing again. I just got off the phone with Sue at the Robbinsville Microtel(where this event started) and their prices for the same dates for Any day of the week are:

Doubles -- $76.46

Singles --- $67.45

Suites ----- $85.46 these have a Queen bed and sofa sleeper.

They only have 11 doubles, 9 singles and 8 suites left for Sat. May 28th.

• Member Contributer

Well I might just call the new owner again in Franklin about pricing again. I just got off the phone with Sue at the Robbinsville Microtel(where this event started) and their prices for the same dates for Any day of the week are:

Doubles -- $76.46

Singles --- $67.45

What about the weekend before or after?

Likely better for traffic and fewer vacationers too. It will be a cop-fest Memorial Day weekend. That's OK. I know which group will be "the rabbit".....

Doubles -- $76.46

Singles --- $67.45

I think too many folks from all over have already applied for Vacation for these dates so they will NOT change this year.

Doubles -- $76.46

Singles --- $67.45

Likely better for traffic and fewer vacationers too. It will be a cop-fest Memorial Day weekend. That's OK. I know which group will be "the rabbit".....

Jim, we've done Memorial Week/weekend for the last 3 years w/o issue.

Archived