Keb & Dave's Daily Dragon Ride Report! Lol

• Member Contributer

Hello all,

Just wanted to drop by and say I haven't ever done any more riding than about 2 hours of saddle time at a single ride, but I'm looking forward to this year's TMAC (which I also just learned about), and plan on prepping my bike accordingly for spending some extended time with my viffer. Houston, TX here btw

Howdy SC,

I hope you make it to this years Tmac, but be sure to sign up Novice group if you have no distance endurance as 1 hr of these roads will wear you out like 3 hrs of normal riding and our short groups usually avg 4-6 hrs. Fatigue is a bad thing.

BR

OK Scott the new owner of the Franklin Microtel finally called me back after 6 weeks and actually Locked in the dates! :wacko:

They are doing a good job to stick it to us this time on rates!

New Rates with a discount: Sunday - Thursday $79/night. Friday/Saturday $109/night ! :unsure:

It's too much work at this time to look for another location, but 2017 TexasMac may be moving again.

BR

How Many of their rooms did we use last year?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

Just wanted to drop by and say I haven't ever done any more riding than about 2 hours of saddle time at a single ride, but I'm looking forward to this year's TMAC (which I also just learned about), and plan on prepping my bike accordingly for spending some extended time with my viffer. Houston, TX here btw

Howdy SC,

I hope you make it to this years Tmac, but be sure to sign up Novice group if you have no distance endurance as 1 hr of these roads will wear you out like 3 hrs of normal riding and our short groups usually avg 4-6 hrs. Fatigue is a bad thing.

BR

OK Scott the new owner of the Franklin Microtel finally called me back after 6 weeks and actually Locked in the dates! :wacko:

They are doing a good job to stick it to us this time on rates!

New Rates with a discount: Sunday - Thursday $79/night. Friday/Saturday $109/night ! :unsure:

It's too much work at this time to look for another location, but 2017 TexasMac may be moving again.

BR

How Many of their rooms did we use last year?

Pretty sure it was 50+

• Member Contributer

So is this set in stone to a degree where I should start rearranging my schedule? Is it worthy of an officially pinned and moderated post by the great Bailey as in years past?

Would we want to have the award ceremony and BBQ on Friday night to avoid at least one night of huge rate increase? Maybe even Thursday?

So is this set in stone to a degree where I should start rearranging my schedule? Is it worthy of an officially pinned and moderated post by the great Bailey as in years past?

Would we want to have the award ceremony and BBQ on Friday night to avoid at least one night of huge rate increase? Maybe even Thursday?

Well, it seems to be set in quick-set cement as finding a suitable option for 50+ rooms around Memorial weekend will be extremely hard to come up with, but I'm open!

Having the Awards Dinner after all event riding is completed is preferred for me and the original concept.

BR

Having the Awards Dinner after all event riding is completed is preferred for me and the original concept.

BR

I am happy to continue, but if anybody wants to do it, I think I ran out of shtick a few years ago.......

do they allow 3 mugs in a room? lots of places will provide a cot for the last man at no extra charge. I know it isnt ideal, but it may be worth it to a few folks. In fact I will volunteer to take the cot in my room if I can find 2 roomies. (I only spend about 7 hours a day in there, including sleeping, so why not?)

• Member Contributer

BR

I am happy to continue, but if anybody wants to do it, I think I ran out of shtick a few years ago.......

do they allow 3 mugs in a room? lots of places will provide a cot for the last man at no extra charge. I know it isnt ideal, but it may be worth it to a few folks. In fact I will volunteer to take the cot in my room if I can find 2 roomies. (I only spend about 7 hours a day in there, including sleeping, so why not?)

Cot sleepin' sucks, Timmy.

• Member Contributer

Not to be cruel but that rate is a bit high for those of us from the Great White North as we add 40% on top of that ,I will try to make it anyway but shorten the time in that motel .

Not to be cruel but that rate is a bit high for those of us from the Great White North as we add 40% on top of that ,I will try to make it anyway but shorten the time in that motel .

No problem, it is a high rate especially since we've only paid $55/rm there for the last 3 years! :unsure:

I'm not real happy, but kind of stuck unless someone can come up QUICKLY with a viable option.

• Forum CEO

BR

Timmy I remember you slept in the gazebo thing in the back!

For that kind of increase, and if this is to be our last year there, my expectations of the service will be WAY up. :happy:

• Member Contributer

No problem, it is a high rate especially since we've only paid $55/rm there for the last 3 years! :unsure:

I'm not real happy, but kind of stuck unless someone can come up QUICKLY with a viable option.

I could investigate since I spend waaaaay too much time in hotels during the year and they like me; well, they like my my Company's money...

but my initial thought is not too many places would let us wheel in 3 kegs and store them on ice in the vending area, cavort in the parking lot until the wee hours, and show MotoGP races on the portable big screen out back after we get done changing tires and molesting a bear...

... and don't forget about ATGATT go karts!

OK, I'm submitting a cost proposal request at the Hampton Inn... are we a Fraternal Group, Sports Group, Social Event, Reunion Group, or Tour Group??? Unfortunately, there is no all of the above option...

Price proposal request submitted, Hilton promised me a response in 24 hrs.... I hope they don't downgrade my reservations now that they know that I know BR...

One thought for our Canadian brothers is to find a roomie to help alleviate the added costs.

I doubt we will find much that's any cheaper at least in that area unless there's a mom

And pop dive motel around there somewhere.

A la the Greenes Motel in Boone we stay at for the Fall Ride.

• Member Contributer

The Knights Inn looks to be pretty cheap but it ain't the Ritz. Don't know how many rooms they have though.

Ironhorse lodge seems like it might be close to fitting the bill, although there are some very important drawbacks / questions. http://ironhorsenc.com/

1. Dry county - can we import alcohol?

2. Cabins that sleep up to 10 people along with smaller cabins - not sure how we divide everyone up. Maybe a call to them would allow them to explain if they can host large groups of people?

3. The name seems a little more geared towards H-D's, but I am sure any type of motorcycle is welcome. Looks like they had a Triumph gathering there by looking at the pictures.

4. Some gravel / dirt roads?

Looks like they do have a nice place to eat though and lots of room for the group.

The Knights Inn looks to be pretty cheap but it ain't the Ritz. Don't know how many rooms they have though.

As long as the rooms are clean, the place is safe for our bikes, close to eating options etc. and they hopefully have some type of meeting room we can own I'm open.

Ironhorse lodge seems like it might be close to fitting the bill, although there are some very important drawbacks / questions. http://ironhorsenc.com/

1. Dry county - can we import alcohol?

2. Cabins that sleep up to 10 people along with smaller cabins - not sure how we divide everyone up. Maybe a call to them would allow them to explain if they can host large groups of people?

3. The name seems a little more geared towards H-D's, but I am sure any type of motorcycle is welcome. Looks like they had a Triumph gathering there by looking at the pictures.

4. Some gravel / dirt roads?

Looks like they do have a nice place to eat though and lots of room for the group.

Ken,

I've looked at the place before and it's not bad, BUT it doesn't work for my needs. It's not close to anything for food, booze, etc., dry, and I wouldn't want to try to sleep in a room with 10 of YOU. :unsure:

Thanks to the new "we think were a 5 star hotel now" prices of the new ownership I have No commitment to staying there in the future ore even this year if another option can be found. But again we're looking for 50 plus rooms on Memorial Weekend!

I wouldn't want to try to sleep in a room with 10 of YOU. :unsure:

C'mon, it could be fun

tumblr_lh2266ajqC1qzamt1o1_500.jpg

Only most of us are closer to um well middle age. We call it Bad Naked here at home.

• Member Contributer

Knights Inn is no where as comfortable as the Microtel and I don't think they have a meeting room. No free breakfast and lousy coffee. Microtel is hard to beat as a TMAC retreat

I mean, 109 a night is like Holiday Inn express territory. I like the microtel, but yowzah, I think management is dreaming.

However, we know we have the space we need so maybe we should just stick with it for this year? It'll be hard to find what we need for that weekend probably, without some heads up.

I mean, 109 a night is like Holiday Inn express territory. I like the microtel, but yowzah, I think management is dreaming.

However, we know we have the space we need so maybe we should just stick with it for this year? It'll be hard to find what we need for that weekend probably, without some heads up.

If you can believe it, their new weekend rate for that time of year is supposedly $139/night and he gave us the big break to just $109/night. :wacko:

The fact that we've nearly filled the place for all these years may have put stars in the new owners eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The fact that we've nearly filled the place for all these years may have put stars in the new owners eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$ in their eyes!

Archived